We've been needing a new shed for a while now as my partner is sick of working in my shed and really needs a space of her own.
So I thought I'd document the process here.
We're calling it a studio as it will be used as an artists workshop. Art that can range from intricate jewellery to big chunks of scrap metal. To give you an idea, here is a pic of the fence we recently put up around the house to help keep the kangaroos out.
So, we decided on a site about 50m from the house, close enough to run power and water. It's fairly level requiring only about half a metre of retaining wall at its lowest point.
March 2014. I sketched up some plans with Google Layout and put in an application with the council for planning permission and sent off my plans to an engineer to get them stamped. Still waiting for a response from both.
Meanwhile we started making mudbricks. It has been an unusually dry summer and the dam was very low making it easy to get the tractor in and dig up plenty of mud. In a pit, we mixed the mud with old hay and proceeded to shovel it into moulds, drying them in the shade.
It didn't help when an emu came by a walked on the soft mudbricks.
This is the first time either of us has tried making mudbricks and the initial results were a bit "lumpy". But as we progressed we refined our technique and improved our product.
We calculated the need for about 900 mudbricks. We now have 841 stored in the shed. The rain started last weekend and the remaining 60 are still trying to dry enough to be moved. Hopefully this weekend.