Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Kit home - roof insulation

Page 1 of 1
Looking for advice on what type of insulation to use for the roof of our kit home. Construction is steel frame with the standard top hats and zinc alum sheeting.

The ceiling inside the house is open cathedral, or raked, with a 20 degree pitch. Ceiling will be gyprocked between the trusses only. All internal dividing walls (2.7mt) do not go to the ceiling.

There are also two awnings down each side of the house which I want to insulate as well, but these won't be lined underneath.

For the gabled roof area I was considering CSR Anticon 55mm or Reflect-Guard. Problem is what do I do with the side awnings. Do I need to use the same product over the whole roof area so the insulation has no break / joins on its way to the gutters.

There is a total of 235m² of roof area to cover. The Reflecta-Guard ($280 / 30m²), is almost twice the price of the Anticon ($95 / 18m²) but if I use Anticon out on the awnings as well, will the visible underside look OK from under the awnings? Has anybody fitted Anticon on an awning?

Alternatively, could I use the Reflecta-Guard on the gable and the cheaper Reflecta-Shed on the awnings. Does it have to be the one product in a continuous run out to the gutters?

Apparently the Anticon blanket is better for sound proofing with rain on a tin roof. Although, I have been advised by a local builder that it condensates and causes rust. ??

jnk40

P.S. Is it a requirement to fit sisalation paper in addition to the above products.
The awning picture did not work so I can't tell what you mean by it. If I am imagining it right, you would not want the reflective foil exposed on your house. Can you imagine when any light hits it.

Please get further advise on the claims the anticon blanket causes rust. What is the builder saying will rust, the steel frame? If you add the right ventilation, condensation is not a problem.

Why don't you call the CSR call centre and get some advice. The only number I have for enquiries is 1300 850 305
They may not sell the product directly to you but they will give you advice for free.
Thanks Vess, here's a link to the picture - http://imageshack.us/a/img197/7871/perspectiveh1.jpg

"If you add the right ventilation, condensation is not a problem."
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean whirlybirds? The cathedral ceiling construction from top down will be - ZA sheeting, insulation, top hats, battens, gyprock.

Anticon: The builder may have been an aircell fan but he said the roofing screws rust with anticon fitted. He went further to say Anticon requires sarking over the top, didn't explain why.

I've actually tried the CSR call centre and they were zero help, they basically just read from the website which has limited info. I will try a local distributor who is more hands on.
We are about to build a steel frame shed/house as well and our builder recommended against anticon - his justification was that it contaions fibreglass and it makes installation more difficult/ uncomfortable/ hazardous.
We are likely to go with Insulbreak or similar 2 aluminiumised layers with a polypropylene foam core. R rating for 6.5mm thickness is 1.4 or so. For the bulk fill we may go with rockwool or one of the acoustic batts. I have heard however that the acoustic batts are just an expensive version of thermal insulation of same acoustic benefits.
Post up what you decide on...
Would something like SolarSpan by Bondor be any good for the verandahs?
http://www.solarspan.com.au/solarspan/solarspan_features.php
Hi,
I think you can find free quotes for all kinds of professional home roof insulation services on Quoteworld. It is a very useful site providing services in Australia.
Check here - http://www.quoteworld.com.au/insulation
Decided to go with the Green Insulation products which can be ordered through Bunnings/Tradelink.

http://www.greeninsulation.com.au/easy- ... l-cladding

Their Reflecta 'Guard' product will be used on the roof & verandahs, and the Reflecta 'Break' in the walls. Their other product, Reflecta 'Cell', is not a thermal break.

Reflecta Guard is 12mm thick and has an R2.7 rating. Its acoustic properties are equivalent to Anticon. Reflecta Guard is a fair bit dearer than Anticon but is easier/quicker to install and saves fitting the wire "net" required to fit Anticon to my verandahs, where it would sag without the wire. The Reflecta Guard will present better on the verandahs as they won't be lined.

The Reflecta Break is 6.5mm thick and has a rating of R1.8. The alternative would be to fit sisilation paper and batts in the walls which would be labour intensive and a PITB.

Tradelink prices:
Reflecta Guard - $259/roll - 1500mm x 20m - 30m².
Reflecta Break - $242/roll - 1350mm x 22.25m - 30m².

Anticon was $99/roll - 1200mm x 15m - 18m².
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum