Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

ICF tri-level extension in Melbourne's inner-east

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I've always wanted to build a cabin on a bush block, but that's not quite what I'm doing ...

Two factors have merged to create an opportunity that's probably close enough ...

1) Our expanding family just doesn't fit into our solid-but-uninspiring post-war home. We've been looking at the standard options (extend, move, knock-down & rebuild) but there's no way any of these options will give us what we want at a price we can afford.

The problem is we're spoiled ... here's the view from the studio in our backyard:

click to zoom

2) It looks like my current job will wind up within a year ... between my redundancy payment and accrued leave I'll have about 34 weeks owed to me.

So, assuming I can get it all together in time, the plan is to turn our little house into a tri-level home that better meets or needs.

While I haven't owner-built before, I have renovated a number of homes and I think I have a good understanding of my limits and where it just makes sense to contract-out particular tasks.

Funding shouldn't be an issue (we're hoping to have our investment property ready for sale before I start).

It's not an ideal block ... it slopes down from the street (7m fall, but most of that's in the back 1/4) and the views are to the south, but I think we can make it work.

The current vision is to effectively knock down the single garage and lean-to studio currently in the backyard and replace them with a double storey extension joined to the existing house to create a tri-level home (the lower level of the extension being half a flight of stairs down from the existing house, making the upper level of the extension half a flight up from the existing house). Once that's done part of the existing house will be rebuilt as a double garage.

The current plan also isn't ideal. We obviously want to take advantage of the view, but at the same time I want that seamless indoor-outdoor interface. I don't want the lower level to be too far below the level of the existing house, and I don't want to carve out half the hillside. The problem is that it's hard to realise all of those objectives ... my earlier plans ended up "chasing the slope" (picture stairs coming down from a deck over a slope ... while each step takes you lower the ground is further away due to the slope!).

The best compromise I've come up with so far is to shape the extension so that it only takes up about half the width of the block. Windows looking out over the view, and a large sliding door out to the side to a large terrace. Nice thing is that the terrace already exists ... I'll need to extend it by a few metres, but it'll be worth it (and it gives me a place to dispose of soil from the cut!).

A secondary objective is to have a pool that's immediately behind the house ... this is a little controversial though as our youngest is only 7 months old, and the thought of having a pool freaks my wife out. Oh well, plan to accommodate it, hopefully we can add it later!

Here's what the latest Sketchup looks like ... it's not perfect, I'll probably extend the lower level to the east to provide more living space, and while widening the upper level at the rear affords views to two bedrooms and a games room, it blocks the view from the deck off the original house (off either the master bedroom suite or the formal lounge).

click to zoom

Current thinking (as per both the subject and my username) is to use ICF for the walls. I've been looking at these for about four years and they tick many boxes for me.

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time now, and I'll be asking lots of questions leading up to and during the build.

Thanks, wish me luck and my wife patience!
J.
Luck for you and luck, patience and no knives near the wife for the next year
kiwi
Luck for you and luck, patience and no knives near the wife for the next year

Ha! I'd like to say "but my build will be different" ... but I know better
I went in to see the Planning/Building guys at the local Council today.

It went really well ... I expected all sorts of issues (some "known unknowns" with a dash of some "unknown unknowns"), fortunately though all but one of the "known unknowns" seem to be fine and only one "unknown unknown" was added to the mix.

Here's what I learnt:

It helps that I'm planning around a few issues (not building anywhere near the easement down the east side of the property and keeping well away from anything resembling a "significant tree"), but there are a few challenges I couldn't avoid (overlooking issues and building height limits can be difficult to respect on a sloping block), so it was good to get a better understanding of the siting guidelines.

Onward with the planning!
And a 29A is?
kiwi
And a 29A is?

"REQUEST UNDER SECTION 29A OF THE BUILDING ACT 1993 FOR REPORT AND CONSENT ON PROPOSED DEMOLITION"
Quote:
WHEN IS A REPORT & CONSENT REQUIRED FOR ANY TYPE OF DEMOLITION OR CHANGING A FAÇADE
1. If more than half the volume of the building is to be demolished, including demolition works carried out within the previous 3 years.
2. If any part of the façade of the building is to be demolished.
3. If a building faces 2 streets the demolition of either façade will require a report & consent.
4. If a planning permit is required a report and consent is still also required.

#2 is the relevant item in my case.

I understand "Section 29A" relates to heritage (which I'm told isn't an issue in my case) ... from Council's web page relating to planning fees: "Heritage status (s29A of the Building Act 1993)"
Cool!
Related
26/01/2024
Precast Insulated Walls vs ICF

Building A New House

Good questions but the best answer will be obtained by visiting (ie: interviewing) a couple of house designers and/or builders and ask them. You may find it challenging to…

27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

11/12/2023
GJ Gardner Homes North East Melbourne

Building A New House

May I ask why you chose not to use GJ Gardiner? I'm actually meeting with one of the sales guys tomorrow for an appointment. Definitely not signing anything yet…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum