Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Certificate of Occupancy :: Victoria

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
We are coming to the end of a long, arduous owner-builder experience here in Geelong.
We need a Certificate of Occupancy to change from a commercial loan to a residential loan.
I would love to hear some people's experience with getting a Certificate of Occupancy when the job isn't quite finished.
Here is the checklist from http://www.buildingregulations.net.au/?p=306
I have marked down what we have completed thus far.
A) Class 1 buildings
• Roof drainage to be connected to an approved point of discharge YES
• Required safety systems such as handrails and balustrades to be in place YES
• The provision of sanitary and other facilities for residential buildings as per Building Code of Australia requirements YES
• The building as constructed to prevent the penetration of water and dampness to the inner parts YES
• Water proofing of wet areas to be completed to the satisfaction of the relevant building surveyor NO
• Smoke detection and alarm systems to be installed and fully operational NO
• Power to be connected to the satisfaction of the Electricity Supply Authority where electricity is required for the purpose of mechanical ventilation, artificial lighting or hard-wired smoke alarms* NO
• If gas cooking is to be provided, the pipe-work to connected to the unit and completed to a stage ready for connection to the gas supply YES
• Water supply to be connected to the building YES

We have a second bathroom and kitchen area that we would like to finish of in six months time to allow us time to replenish the cash reserves.

My building surveyor tells me that once the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, then we would only have 28 days maximum to complete the rest of the work on the permit.

My solution would be to: 1. complete the bare minimum with wet areas, kitchen, laundry, plumbing ruffin and electrical all finished off. 2. get the certificate 3. apply for another building permit down the track when it is time to finish the other kitchen and bathroom.

A couple of quick concerns I have are:
1. Will dividing the work up and later applying for an additional permit for the remainder of the renovation affect my owner builder status?
2. Am I dreaming thinking that I would get a Certificate of Occupancy in these circumstances?

Thanks!
ANDY
There is 0% chance you will get a Cert of Occ without doing the things they ask.

I doubt that dividing the work will affect your status as OB unless you are considering moving out of the current place straight away and doing another?
Related
12/06/2023
Occupancy certificate

General Discussion

We are in NSW and require 2 positive covenants to be placed on the property didnt really underdtand this but apparently it will take a few months, and have just been…

1/07/2023
Partial Occupancy Certificate

General Discussion

Hi All We are about to buy a newly constructed house…

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum