Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Facade Cost

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

After much deliberation we have decided to undertake our first owner/builder project. We have a very clear picture of the design we want "inside the home" but are really struggling with the outside. Partly because our land is 38m wide (28.5m wide building envelope) and most wide houses are homestead design. We'd perfer something much more modern.

Before we start coming up with our own concept I thought I better understand the affect of the facde on cost. Obviously different materials cost different amounts so my question is more about how tradies quote there jobs. ie, if i'm getting a colour bond roof quoted, is it simply a sq m cost or does it depend on the complexity of the roof. Same as bricks, is it a rate per 1000 bricks or does it cost more if they have to work around more windows, etc (I suppose it will take longer - so it will cost more).

Anyway, any info you can provide me on the costs considerations of the facade would be helpful at this point. Any idea's on a wide modern facade would help also.

Thanks

P&K
It does depend on the complexity of the job as to the cost each trade will have a different way of working out the cost. For example when getting a price from the brickie ask for an all in price. This will give you a price per '000 bricks with no extras.

When you are talking about facades are you cladding the outside or is it different brick/render options you are talking about?

Nathan
We have a preferrence for face brick but we also don't mind the rendered or bagged look. All options are still open at this stage. Thanks for your advice on quotes.
I'm not sure if brickies work the same in all states, but here in WA they will give you a quote per 1000 then there will be an additional cost for each window or door frame they install. As a rough guide, I think a door frames are worth about $30 each to install, but with windows it will depend on size etc.
OMG.. it took bloody 20 attempts to get that verification code right to register here and post something. Seriously guys, make it a bit easier. I am a web-developer myself, and bloody hell - K.I.S.S. i suggest.

I am on the lookout for a block of land now, here in Victoria Suburban melbourne, and will be an owner builder.

Now buddy as for your facade cost...
I have owned a Rendering Business in the past (old man still operates it partially), however with quoating, every tradie has their own way of calculating.

For instance, if was to quoate a wall to render, say L6m x H2m (=12m2), i would mostly treat it as 12m2, despite it having a window there, where you would lose about 1-2m2, and really the rendered area is 10m2, however because you lose time on in working around the windows it cancel eachother out with charging for more m2.

Its just a quick form of calculation. Instead of wasting time, calculating different rates, etc, i just included in the price, and work on more m2.
Technically works out the same for both myself and the client.

hope that helps.

If you do require rendering in Melbourne, let me know.
P&K
Any idea's on a wide modern facade would help also.

Thanks

P&K

Check out the facade options for the Metr.icon Denver. It's a very wide home designed for larger blocks. There's three facade options, one classic, one more modern and then one ultra modern. Might give you some ideas.
Hi,
We are in the same boat at the moment. We are looking at a modern homestead but would love to use some corrugated iron and render together somehow.
If anyone has photos of corrugated iron in the facade i would love to see them.
P&K, did you find any good ideas in your research?
Related
7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

30/05/2023
share traditional gable roof facade with pillars having ston

Building A New House

traditional gable roof facade - Have you did the dark and light gray color combination in facade with gray stone in facade…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum