Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Colourbond v Tiles, opinions welcome

Page 1 of 1
I have always believed that colourbond was more durable, cheaper and easier to maintain. However, now that I have to make the choice, I would appreciate other opinions and experiences.

Does colourbond really last forever, (in Perth) as I have been led to believe. Do tiles crack in the heat of summer, as I have been warned. What is the trade off between concrete tiles and terracotta.

Cost is a secondary factor, but advice on that would be welcome too.
We went with terracotta due to durability. Our current concrete tiles in this house are cracked, and leak water in to the ceiling of the garage and at one stage in to one of the rooms. Our guidelines stipulate a flat profile, which left us with two options in the colour we wanted. Quotes for our 344sqm roof came in around $30k on average, we found a smaller place who quoted us $22k
lived with both
but chose colorbond for our build
as i love the rain on the roof
colorbond is by far cheaper
but you get what you pay for
terracotta lasts the longest and
much better insulation propertys then
colorbond.
guess it comes down to what you like
Lived with both, it's Colorbond for me. Much less trouble and maintenance, less costly roof structure, better insulation with alu foil backed glasswool.

Chris
We chose colorbond, it's way less maintenance. Also, someone told me it's easy for possums etc to get into tiled roofs
colorbond for us too with foil blanket insulation underneath. even with the roof not insulated yet we can hardly hear the rain on the roof.
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

22/05/2023
How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Outdoor Living

Yes i guess this is one of the main reason as i checked one post foundation

22/03/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Cheers. The painted render is a bit chalky to the touch. To prepare the surface for best adhesion, what would you recommend? Also, given that there must be some…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum