Been reading everyones posts now for about two weeks so have decided to have ago as well.
We bourght our 5 acre block of bush two years ago then started the task of finding something to build on it tried just about every major builder in W.A. but did not like the responese we got regarding the cost to build, so we decided try the owner builder option, and again went to all the kit home suppliers in W.A still not happy with the prices given and after a couple of months of researchimg the internet decided on PAAL homes Camden to witch we modifed to our liking.
And so the fun began with PAAL being in Sydney and us on the oppisite side of the country, lots of emails and phone calls, probally took us about six months to get all right so we thourght. Anyway we proceded with everything then came the fisrt problem PAAL drew up the steel floor and Bluescope Lysaght where going to supply it But they would not certify it becuase it was out of there spec so we got a local engineering firm to structually certify it well what a stuff up that became they actually made every wall in house load bearing and blew the cost of the steel Quikka floor out to 50k how they managed to do that I still to this day don't no anyway it got fixed in the end, then came problem number two when I finally got the building instructions for the house they included some hard copies and one was for the alfreco witch showed posts going from the wooden facsia boards to the ground and with footings well after discusions with a few family members rang PAAL and asked them how do we do this considering the house is on stilts well after about two months of emails and phone calls it was rectified. Then we moved on to the footings whitch are 600mm diameter 450 deep and there are 114 of them now the ground on witch we are building consist of gravel and rock lots of rock after speaking to the local earthmoving contractor who also happens to be my neighbour was told it needs to be ripped up to remove all the alluvial rock then refilled with clean fill and compacted before holes could be drilled witch happend over two months so we finally drilled the holes took about five hours to do all still hit a few small rocks witch made the holes even bigger did that on a Monday and poured concrete on the Thursday and even that did'nt go smoothly with three concrete two concrete trucks in the drive way i get a phone call from the guy who who's going pump the concrete saying he's one hour away well beleive me i was not to happy to here this either were the two aggy drivers well told him he better be here very soon as I had two trucks in the drivway and two more on the way well by the time he got to us we had emptied on truck by hand and he says to me it going to take him twenty minutes to set up well I gave him a bit of a serve and said you have ten minutes or you can p*%$ off and I aint paying you a cent well we had little spit at each other with the truck drivers having a good laugh in the background but in the end it all got done so now we are waiting for the floor to arrive its been about three weeks now so hopefully it won't be to far away.
I have had problems from day one regarding this project but I will post that stuff later i.e the shed & water tank.