Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

owner builder course

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I thought it might be useful to have a post on what owner builder courses people did and why? There seem to be heaps around. I am currently deciding between the HomeOne course and one done by the Building Centre.

Thoughts and recs?
loretta
Hi All

I thought it might be useful to have a post on what owner builder courses people did and why? There seem to be heaps around. I am currently deciding between the HomeOne course and one done by the Building Centre.

Thoughts and recs?

Hi, I did the Building Centre one here in VIC, where it is not complusory to do one. The course is the same as the one in NSW. It was 5 evenings, 3 evenings were presented by an architect chappie, 2 evenings by a Builder. There was a guest speaker about kitchens.

Impressions and tips -

- there was far too much for them to get through in the time allowed and they had to rush through a lot.
- the information and documentation you get is itself worth paying the fee for.
- Have all your questions prepared beforehand and written down. Ask them all on the first evening. That way if the presenter doesn't know the answer they can find out for the next session.
- The kitchen guys talk was a poorly disguised sales pitch for his appliance retail business.
- Be the first to get the Tim Tams. They will run out about half way through each evening.

JB
I did it via correspondance, it took about 40 minutes from start to finish.
You need to do it in NSW if the value of the job is over $12000.
I found it to be a waste of time for me personally as I found it aimed at people who are 'project managing' rather than physically building themselves.
Dukekamaya
I did it via correspondance, it took about 40 minutes from start to finish.
You need to do it in NSW if the value of the job is over $12000.
I found it to be a waste of time for me personally as I found it aimed at people who are 'project managing' rather than physically building themselves.

Ditto.

I did it online. Only thing I learned were the insurance issues.
I went to the HomeBase Expo's one, twice. It's an all days seminar, helpful, but very basic. The books to go with it are good, even though a bit too sketchy on the sequence of steps in the process.

Chris
which on line courses did you guys do??
NSW Owner Builder Alliance
HomeOne
So we ended up going for the HO course - mostly because it was cheap. Materials were ok but the lack of proper grammar and words missing annoyed me!!

We then promptly went out and bought an OB book at Bunnings!
Related
14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum