Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB tradie recommendations Melbourne

Page 1 of 4
Hi everyone

My fiancee is really starting to entertain the OB option for building our house. My concern is our ability to find reliable and trustworthy tradies, so I was thinking we could start a thread recommending people/companies we're happy with?

If you dont want to post publicly, then Id appreciate a PM with who you recommend

Thankyou everyone!

----------------------------------------------
Recommended Tradies

Brick Supplies

Bricklayer

Cabinet Maker

Carpenter

Concreter

Draftsman (Slab)

Electrician

Flooring

Painter

Plasterer

Plumber

Roof Tiler

Roof Trusses

Tiler

Timber

Windows
(3 recommendations)
great post as long as genuine owner builders post and not tradies talking themselves up.personally id rather use tradies by word of mouth then by the yellow pages.
i can add trusspro ballarat they were very helpful and didnt mind dealing with an ob they service all of victoria that i know of.
Thanks! I have some businesses which have been recommended from a friend, but I have no personal experience with them so cant comment.

Roof trusses: BB Truss & Timber
Plumber: Daniel - Plumbology
Brick supplies (concrete, sand etc) – Frank Z Building & Garden Supplies
Regency Windows
Timber: Serano Timber & Hardware

I might edit the original post and categorise everything, making it easier for quotes and whatnot?
Good post,
I'm thinking about OB also if Big H can't do what we request.
If you have been reading my posts you will note that we are subbing EVERYTHING out! I often hesitate to give out any details because I worry that our positive experience may turn out to be your negative one....so I will say this: THIS IS OUR EXPERIENCE - we are highly organised project managers and have researched our build thoroughly and asked lots and lots of questions to make sure we got it right so far.

The whole point of recommending people is to give you a starting point - however remember it is a two way relationship - you have to be clear about the result you want and communicate it and reiterate it to your trade before any work is done to make sure you are all on the same page. Also note - price was not a major factor for us, so whilst we think we did well with our quotes - it was more important to get the best quality and most reliable tradesperson rather than the cheapest.

I will add more tradies as soon as we are finished our build, then I can confidently comment on the final product!

The recommended list so far:

I recommend our slab concreter (waffle) - our slab is very smooth - he did a great job at a reasonable price. Just be sure that the set out is completed by a qualified surveyor first ! Ours was spot on!
AMC Concrete
Hoppers Crossing
VIC, 3029
0418 516 669

I can recommend Renma - we used them for our aluminium windows http://www.renma.com.au/home_main.asp, good service and quality product.

I also second the BB Truss recommendation, we used them and are happy with the product & service.
BB Truss & Timber Pty Ltd
41 Albion St, Essendon, VIC 3040
03 9375 7911

Metropolitan Roof Tiles - Perry was our guy, very good service.
Factory 9, 42 Global Drive
TULLAMARINE VIC 3049
P: (03) 9335 4911
Thanks Ruth! Muchly appreciated
Bumping this, hopefully we'll get more recs?
any recommendations for tradies and suppliers to OB melburne southeastern subrab ,Pakenham.please.
I can recommend our electrician who has been very reliable and efficient

Paul Kacanski Electrical Services
Keilor Downs
0419 526 872
Im bumping this thread up in the hope of getting a few more recs.

Ive also added our plasterer recommendation - I have a few recommendations for various trades that George has been happy with when he's installed various jobs, but we havent specifically used them. So I prefer not to post them until we can personally say from experience that we're happy. Does that make sense? Ive added the plasterer as I passed on his information to 'borg' and he used them and was quite happy, so I feel they've earnt their place on the list
I'm off to create an Adelaide version of this thread. I hope you dont mind Bam
Not at all
Good luck!
We also used Renma for our windows and doors - so I will second that recommendation!.
Great! Thanks
Hey Bam, Both Renma and Golden windows use the same profile. So you can compare price.
Golden window provide really good (Thick and solid) door jambs.

Both these companies are in Tullamarine and are close to each other.
Thanks borg
Who did you end up going with for windows?

Ive added a Tiler rec from brendondanielle
bam i choose Golden windows.
However if you think you are going to go double glazed, eco windows are pretty good.

I was after a good quality finish at the time. Wasnt too concerned about double glazing. Perhaps i didnt understand it much at the time still not sure if i would have paid for the extra. But golden windows are definatley a good finish on there windows and door jambs. However not too sure about their actual performance.
Thanks borg
I read on the government site to keep East window glazing to a minimum (and maybe it said west too
) so now Im all confused again

Dont forget to keep me updated
keep windows facing west smaller. I dont mind the early morning sun. I like those rays waking me up in the morning.
Has anyone got any more recommendations? We're having trouble finding tradies that come back to us with quotes, they certainly seem happy enough to come out on site but 3 weeks later still no quotes... I'm feeling a bit rejected!

Located in NE Melbourne near Eltham if location is a problem
Related
7/03/2024
Tradie charges to fix his mistake

Renovation + Home Improvement

Unless there were unforeseeable issues with the site, I dont think you should have to pay for contractors errors or poor planning. I'd probably try and be reasonable and…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations - Melbourne

Building A New House

I do enjoy the drama:-D In his latest two videos he has started bringing security guards to site, I am waiting for the punch on to begin lol

6/07/2023
CUSTOM BUILDER RECOMMENDATIONS WESTERN MELBOURNE

Building A New House

Hello, we can help you please get in contact 0421019219 thank you

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum