Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Solar Net Feed In and 3-Phase power. Dont get caught out!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Thought I'd share my experience today in the hope it might help some other forum members!

Today I had my 3-phase digital electricity meter, Off-Peak HW meter, and Solar Gross Feed-In meter replaced.

AGL finally (have been waiting since Jan4) came to install the 2 new Smart meters. One for 3phase/Solar and the other for Off-Peak Hotwater.

Fortunately I arranged to be home and I had a great Electrician (older chap!)

As I use CurrentCost electricity monitoring guages, I asked the Sparky how he plans on wiring up the new 3phase Meter and Solar Net Feed In.

He explained that my 3phase Daikin AC is spread across all 3 phases, and the Solar NET FEED IN will only off-set a single phase.

After learning this, I asked him to put my Powerpoints and Stove Top on Phase A,
Phase B did the Lights
Phase C did the Oven.

AC is tapped across all 3 phases. which means on the humid days, I wont get to completely offset my AC usage with my SOLAR!

As such I had the Solar Net Feed In connected to Phase A, since it is always in use.

My lesson learnt today is: If you have 3phase power and Solar, make sure you connect it to your powerpoints and stovetop phase.

If you dont, then you may still end up feeding the bulk of your Solar generation back to the Grid for 6c, whilst paying 27c for your other 2 "more actively used' phases.

This link may explain it better than i did!
http://reneweconomy.com.au/3-phase-tric ... lds-17282/

Future plans to counter this is: add More Solar and use Micro Inverters to spread across the other phases.
And more panels facing afternoon sun when there is more power usage.

Or revert to a Single Phase and eliminate the risk entirely! (very unlikely)
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely ask my sparky about this.
Thanks GLO. I had no idea.

It depends on your inverter. If you want to offset all three phases, then you either need a three phase inverter or three separate single phase inverters. As far as I know the smallest three phase inverters start at around 5kW.

In my opinion it is poor form if your solar installer did not discuss this with you before signing you up for your system. They should have given you the option to upgrade to a 3 phase inverter.
1960sModernistHome
It depends on your inverter. If you want to offset all three phases, then you either need a three phase inverter or three separate single phase inverters. As far as I know the smallest three phase inverters start at around 5kW.

In my opinion it is poor form if your solar installer did not discuss this with you before signing you up for your system. They should have given you the option to upgrade to a 3 phase inverter.

Agreed, however in my case the solar was installed in late 2010 and with the NSW GFIT ending on Dec 31,2016 my meter had to be upgraded to Net Feed In.

I'd like to add a 10kw Enphase system micro Inverter system which can be spread appropriately across the 3 phases.

I'm not sure how common 3 phase is becoming in residential.

Oh yeah fair enough.

Personally I am a little hesitant of the micro-inverter concept. The idea of electronics on a hot roof in a harsh climate, intended to last 25+ years makes this electrical & solar engineer nervous...

The only time I would really consider that type of system topology would be if shading was an issue, and even then I would go with a distributed edge-DC power point tracking system, like the Solar Edge system. You still have the complex electronics in a box on the wall in the shade, but you get the benefits of local panel power optimisation.

If you have a big open roof with no shading issues, a standard inverter and panel setup is better value.

FWIW I rarely even design tilt arrays these days, the extra cost is just not worth it north of about Sydney. I have been designing quite a few large systems where I have split the array 50/50 across the east and west azimuths actually - you get a flatter solar curve throughout the day because the generation in the morning and evenings is higher than with a northern azimuth.
1960sModernistHome
Oh yeah fair enough.

Personally I am a little hesitant of the micro-inverter concept. The idea of electronics on a hot roof in a harsh climate, intended to last 25+ years makes this electrical & solar engineer nervous...

FWIW I rarely even design tilt arrays these days, the extra cost is just not worth it north of about Sydney. I have been designing quite a few large systems where I have split the array 50/50 across the east and west azimuths actually - you get a flatter solar curve throughout the day because the generation in the morning and evenings is higher than with a northern azimuth.

Hi 1960sModernistHome,

With a KDR in mind and a 2 storey build, shading shouldn't be an issue.

My home faces NE but the longer length of the home will run NW.
Now we are on Net Feed-In, I plan on a larger split system capturing the NW afternoon/evening sun. Hopefully something like 3kw NE & 7kw NW. If the new roofline supports that!

Does that sound feasible?

What I like about the enphase and micro inverter is the capability to monitor each panel individually and remove a faulty (or shaded) panel from negatively impacting the others.

The viability will vary depending on your latitude but orientating your solar array to focus on reducing grid consumption at specific times certainly has merit, as does the inverse, changing your consumption habits to match peak solar times.

For example we are a two person household who both work full time. We aren't home during the day. However we do have a pool, and we can set the dishwasher and washer/dryer to run in the middle of the day... we also like to set the air con to turn on about 3pm so the house cools down for when my wife gets home around 4pm. So in that case a west-facing array would work well.
Hi,

We are a household of 6, with 4 kids 14,11,8 & 5yo.

Daily usage is approx 40kw.
We are on peak and off-peak HW.

Based in Sydney, I will end up having a 25deg roof pitch.

The block faces NE and will try to fit 2-3kw panel for morning solar.
The length of the block runs NW and the intention is to add another string 7-8kw panels.

I think this should be optimal since moving off NSW GFIT to Net FIT.

40kWh per day 🤤

Maybe you should look into battery storage?
Related
5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum