Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Solar Energy

Page 2 of 2
Hi Moe
It took quite a while for us to get thru the power companies and even now after 9 months, we have a credit but we don't seem to be getting any cash and I don't know if we'll use up as much electricity as we have in credit - we are pretty careful with energy anyway.
I hope you can get your situation sorted out - power companies seem inefficient and it's all confusing.
pf

Moe
I am with Sanctuary Energy on the free the solar scheme plan, and really recommend going with someone else. I signed up in August 2010, the panels were finally installed in May 2011, and to this day the panels still have not been connected to the Grid so i am still not seeing any rebate from them.

When i signed up i was told by the Rep who came to my house that the 5 year contract started from the beginning of my first bill. After a few phone calls to ask why the panels had not been connected to the grid yet and never given a straight answer, i was told that the 5 year contract did not start until the panels were connect to the grid. This seems like a scam Sanctuary Energy uses to keep customers with them for longer than 5 years.

I am currently contacting the department of fair trading to see what my right are to have the panels removed at Sanctuary Energy's expense and to go with a different suppler. The panels might be free, but Sanctuary Energy are more trouble than they are worth.
Hi Philytee
Are you going to get batteries?
pf

PhilyTee
For all those interested in the fundamentals of installing a solar system on you premises, take a look at this blog:
http://www.ausdiysolar.blogspot.com.au DIY Solar Australia
Here you will find a guide that will empower you to understand what is required for a solar system. This is still a week by week work in progress and at this stage will give all the information that inquisitive DIY'ers would like to know about the planning process of a Solar System.
I hope you will enjoy what you read and keep checking back for more valuable infomation as I post it
Hi @planfan
I would like to talk about off grid too i.e. batteries. If there's something you would like to know now , I am happy to help.
Phil
Hi Phil
I was just curious. We have a 5.13Kw system in two banks. We might get batteries if we can afford them. We have a credit with the provider (but will prob never see the cash?).
Things were simpler when the SEC was the only one - the good old days.
How much do you think batteries would cost?
pf
Hi again PF

Without doing a big analysis, you can get between $2.60 to $3.10 per AH. I haven't looked into what storage would suit your system. Perhaps you have an expectation of storage? I need to work out a rule of thumb based on the system size and and the location, you are in VIC.
Absolutely right about the good 'ol days. This comes to sustainable street lighting also (another of my pet interests)
Phil
We aren't really ready to put in batteries - dollar-wise and still getting the outside areas paved and planted - and I don't know what we would expect in storage. I'll pm you when I talk to the brains.
Moe
I am with Sanctuary Energy on the free the solar scheme plan, and really recommend going with someone else. I signed up in August 2010, the panels were finally installed in May 2011, and to this day the panels still have not been connected to the Grid so i am still not seeing any rebate from them.

When i signed up i was told by the Rep who came to my house that the 5 year contract started from the beginning of my first bill. After a few phone calls to ask why the panels had not been connected to the grid yet and never given a straight answer, i was told that the 5 year contract did not start until the panels were connect to the grid. This seems like a scam Sanctuary Energy uses to keep customers with them for longer than 5 years.

I am currently contacting the department of fair trading to see what my right are to have the panels removed at Sanctuary Energy's expense and to go with a different suppler. The panels might be free, but Sanctuary Energy are more trouble than they are worth.

Hi Moe Just wondering if you have had any luck with fair trading about getting out of the contract. We have been with them sanctuary for the last 6 months and they have overcharged every month since on our cap plan by $50.00 everytime I ring they say that they will send a msg to accounts section, when I ask can I talk to accounts re my account they say we dont work that way. I have nocontrol what so ever over this account. I am waiting on a reply back from Fair trading.
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

23/04/2024
How to qualify for 6-star energy rating (pre NCC 2022)

Building A New House

10 years ago was a different software than we use now. it has had a lot of changes over the past years. Improvments to the software and changes to how Nathers models need…

16/12/2023
solar car port in sydney

General Discussion

I looked into it a few years ago and my conclusion was to just build a carport that will support panels and get a system installed separately. The company I looked at had…

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum