Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Z wave home automation questions and help

Page 1 of 1
Need some help/advice understanding how to smarten up our home during a major renovation and electrical rewiring.

After researching the smart light V smart switch option, I am leaning towards the smart switch option using Aeotec Nano Dimmers and possibly Aeotec Nano Switches (I prefer the idea of being able to use the light switch manually in the traditional fashion and also via app or voice when I choose to).

I am going to use the Samsung Smartthings as a hub and also pair Smarthings with Google Home/assistant so I have voice control etc over lights and devices like blinds and, fans, AC. I’m also going to use a Harmony Hub to pair with Google Assistant so I can control my TV, apple tv and hifi system by voice or app. I am assuming all of this is possible based on what I’ve read.

I am ASSUMING that I can use Clipsal Saturn Zen touch button plates/switches throughout the house, have the Aeotec Smart Dimmers installed behind them, as well as a momentary ball press, and that will allow for manual and remote control of the lights, on/off, dimming etc (tap for on, tap for off, press for dimming). Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

While I plan on installing the Nano Dimmers, I am in two minds about installing Aeotec Nano Swtiches. I suppose I would mainly use them to remotely operate blinds, fans and AC (I don’t need it to turn lights on or off as I will have the dimmer switches). A lot of devices these days comes with wifi functionality so I can control them by directly pairing them with Google Assistant, or by using a smart plug (Aeotec sell these as well).

So, other than lessening the load on my wifi network, what are the benefits of using Aeotec Nano Switch for those purposes?

The other question is home security. If i’m going Z wave for my lights, I figure I may as well go Z wave for my alarm system. Aeotec sell door and window sensors as well as ceiling sirens and motions sensors that I assume can all operate off the same Z wave hub as the lights.

SO, I don’t really need a Smart Nano Switch for anything, right? I could set up a mixed system of z wave and wifi that ends up being consolidated control wise with smart things and google assistant. Right?

Will the alarm system require some kind of wired smart switch? I have no idea how traditional alarm systems work, how they are wired etc, as I’ve never lived in a house with one.

Has anyone used a z wave setup like this for their alarm system and is it any good?

What about power blinds? I see Luxaflex sell a bunch with wifi, bluetooth and z wave compatibility. Would it better to power these blinds from a aeotec nano switch, or just sync them directly with Google assistant?

Same deal for fans.

Any help would be great.
Hi Jake,

Please let us know if you would like to consider WiFi option. We have smart light switch, dimmer, fan switch, curtain/shutter/blind suite your needs.

Thanks
How did you go with this Jake?

I'm looking at z-wave for my new build.
Wi-Fi devices will be a better option for smart home devices those days.

Z-wave/Zigbees are more expensive, have single point of failure and a lot of serious companies are investing into innovations in that space any more.
My house has a steel beam around it (as we are not the usual 'box' house; on which, the top level is smaller if compared to the ground floor (thus it comes with steel beam to hold upstairs).

I am using Hubitat hub with a bunch of zigbee, wifi, and z-wave; for some weird reason, the z-wave devices are 'delayed' when I automate something; if compared to Zigbee.

I also have a Bonaire ducted heating and cooling with wireless navigator.
I'm not sure whether this has caused the 'delay' on the z-wave devices I have.

Either the steel beam (created faraday cage) OR the Bonaire ducted heating/unit with wireless navigator/controller that might have caused this delay to me OR the z-wave antenna from the Hubitat is the one that caused it.

Not sure until now whether I'm the only one that experience this; I'm planning to try Home Assistant; but never really get around it.

Z-Wace is pricier, but you will get more information about the device (such as battery level); which zigbee devices not as accurate as z-wave one.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

13/09/2023
decoration and colour questions

Interior Decorating Lounge

Thanks for that! Yeah, I was thinking timber front door.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum