Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

One last time ;)

Page 1 of 1
Hey boys

I went out to the display today and managed to get the measurement for where we want the plasma to sit on on of our walls.

The other plasmas will be wall mounted but I am going to get the tv point and powerpoint and normal floor height and just hide them behind tv units etc

This is the only TV that is going to be wall mounted without anything to cover the powerpoints with and I really want the look of it floating on the wall with cords/powerpoints hidden.

I measured today and I want the centre of the TV (42 inch) at approximately 1.6m from the floor. If this is the case what height/position would you suggest I have the powerpoint and TV point so that it can be hidden....I don't want the TV popping out heaps off the wall either - I'd prefer it as flush as possible.

Any help would be great
I forgot to add - the wall that we are mounting the TV on backs onto DD's bedrooms so would it be possible to put the PP and TV point at normal height on the wall in her room?

She will have a desk that would hide the cords too, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Or would the Tv powercord etc not be able to reach this far through the wall and down to the powerpoint in her room??
your best bet would be to get a photocopy of the TV maual showing the rear of the plasma, then you could have the builder "recess" the power point and aerial point to suit...... keep in mind the wall bracket to mount the TV.... you don't want that clashing where you have put the recess.....

the reason I say recess, is so the TV remains flush with the wall because of the plug thickness..... whoever you buy the TV from should be able to confirm if this is required.

Gweluphome hubby
That is a great suggestion. I never thought of that, not even sure if PD will do it or where exactly to locate it though...we don't have the TV picked yet, it will most likely be a Samsung 42inch..
Have a chat with the TV people first.... they should be able to help you out before you go talking to the builder about the recess....

You will probably find the builder has been asked this before and may be able to help you out....
If the wall the TV is being mounted on is a single stud thick interior wall then recessing the points won't be that easy.

Putting the points in the room behind the TV is fine - no more or less difficult to work with that way. Don't worry about the exact distance as whoever mounts the TV and runs the cables inside the wall will have long enough cables for the job. Just, if you can, make sure the noggin between the back of the TV and the points has one or more holes in it big enough to at least get the smaller end of a power cord through (same type of power cord as a PC). Basically a hole as big as a 50c piece is plenty (two holes that size are even better
).

Be aware of any stud the cables/cords need to cross over (hopefully you can set it up to avoid this).
Thanks Rodda - as long as PD agree - you are my man

Alright so I think I will put in in my Daughters room - it just seems easier...I thought the cables would be long enough but I thought that perhaps the powercord that comes with tv might be shorter, or did you mean you can change this too...??

The wall between the rooms is only one stud thick

With the holes in the noggin, do I ask the chippies/builders to do this or is it something I can domyself when on site?

Finally, once all the plaster is up and the builders are finished and it comes to mounting the TV on the wall, is it easy to thread the TV powerpoint and Tv point through the wall and into DD's room, or will we need to put holes in the wall??
I have longer power cords for devices like plasmas etc.

The holes in the noggins you can do yourself (at least you know it gets done) and it can be done as soon as the frame is up - no waiting for lockup etc. Use a 'spade' drill bit, say a 28mm or 32mm one, I find those the easiest (over a hole saw or an auger bit).

We do just put the cords and cables into the wall while installng the TV, and we also make the holes in the plaster at that time (not before).

Ciao.
Awesome thanks Rod

I have my tender appointment on Tuesday - so I'll ask to have the TV point and Powerpoint in DD's room - at normal height.

I'll make sure we put the holes in the noggins too

So your saying when you make the holes in the plaster when you are installing the TV - which is after handover of the home from PD I'm assuming? If this is so, am I left with big holes in my walls or is it easier to cover up?? I'm just a bit confused on this point

Sorry Rod - but I'm a woman remember
No worries.

I make the holes after hand-over and I cover them with things like this:

http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.a ... +S-VIDEO+F

Excellent - that will be fine
Thanks Rod
Related
10/07/2023
Orange rust spots one driveway

Building A New House

Very common on rendered homes Smaller suppliers get the lower quality raw materials

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum