Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Media room setup

Page 1 of 1
I have some questions about setting up my media room.

My electrical plan allows for one HDMI cable to go from the front of the room to the rear of the room so that a projector can be ceiling mounted – I have not purchased a projector yet but I was going to get that after handover as I probably won't be able to afford a good one until then. There is also pre-wiring for 2 x rear speakers to be mounted on the rear walls.

I have a motorised projector screen. I want to be able to connect my apple tv, dvd player and maybe PS3 so that I can have all 3 machines connected to the projector but not have to unplug cables everytime I want to switch from one to the other. Obviously I will have to purchase a projector with as many HDMI ports as is available? Is this possible with the current setup I have (not sure if I need to upload my electrical plan for you to see? Or will I need to buy/install anything further for this to happen before the build is over. I don't have a receiver or anything. Right now all the electrical cut offs have been done and the pre-wiring has been completed too, as I am at lockup stage now. I tried asking Clipsal who my builder is going through, and he was a big help but I'm still confused about setting everything up so I can switch seamlessly from apple tv, to dvd player, to PS3 with no unplugging. Please help!!
If it were me I would connect the preamp/ receiver to the projector via HDMI and then connect all of your games and media via HDMI to the preamp/ receiver.

Receivers are cheap and will save you grief.
Thanks for the teply. So I am happy to buy a receiver, but I guess my big question that I should have asked is, if my devices including my receiver are placed at the front underneath the screen, and my projector is at the rear, how do they all communicate if the are not cabled together ie how do I hide the cables. Im not sure how this HDMI cable that has been prewired through the walls works in this instance. I just cant picture how to connect them all. I was advised to get a HDMI switch but again, not sure how it all fits in.

Btw, I paid $564 through clipsal for the HDMI cable and I was told the builder would not allow me to supply my own. I feel like it was a big ripoff but didnt think I had a choice if I wanted everything prewired. Do you think thats a reasonable price?

Avoca 25 in Gainsborough Greens Gold Coast

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81406
vonsta76
Thanks for the teply. So I am happy to buy a receiver, but I guess my big question that I should have asked is, if my devices including my receiver are placed at the front underneath the screen, and my projector is at the rear, how do they all communicate if the are not cabled together ie how do I hide the cables. Im not sure how this HDMI cable that has been prewired through the walls works in this instance. I just cant picture how to connect them all. I was advised to get a HDMI switch but again, not sure how it all fits in.

Btw, I paid $564 through clipsal for the HDMI cable and I was told the builder would not allow me to supply my own. I feel like it was a big ripoff but didnt think I had a choice if I wanted everything prewired. Do you think thats a reasonable price?

Why not just put in a conduit or better still multiple conduits? That way, you can put in any number of cables that you want. The builder does not need to know what cables you want there.
mwccl
vonsta76

Why not just put in a conduit or better still multiple conduits? That way, you can put in any number of cables that you want. The builder does not need to know what cables you want there.
the house is at lockup with walls and cornices and electrical cutouts done already. Surely its too late to do this now?

As far as know you connect the HDMI from projector to your receiver. This would be the one in the wall and ceiling.

The rest you connect to your amp. As far as concealing all the wires it can be done with a cabinet.
Yeah i might have to put my lounge room cabinet in the media room for that , and get another one for the lounge room later down the road

It is essentially no different to connecting to a tv. As already mentioned buy an AV receiver, if your having any kind of speaker setup in the room you will need to power them off something anyway.

Simply, All your devices (apple tv, Xbox, blue ray player etc? all go into the INPUTS of the Av receiver. The HDMI cable they have run from the front to the back (assuming roof and not middle of back wall) would then plug into the HDMI OUTPUT in the AV receiver at the front of the room (unless you're going to sit everything on the floor then you are going to need a cabinet) and then the other end of said HDMI cable already installed for you goes into the INPUT in the projector. The voila you'r off!

When you want to change from one device to another you just use the AV receiver remote and change its input from GAME to TV for example.
Also, yes the cable is a rip off.. But that is the unfortunate reality.. Just getting pull strings or empty conduit installed means after hand over you can run what you like easier..
Thanks for that jhiace. Ive already shortlisted what receivers i'd like to get. I dont understand why i was not allowed to supply my own hdmi cable instead of it going through clipsal. One of the more bigger margins maybe?

Connect all your devices to your AVR / Receiver and then one HDMI going to projector and switch between devices using your AVR remote, same as if you were to connect it to a TV.
the builder wont accept to install your cable because then they will have to accept responsibility for any faults that are caused by your cable (fire for example). The cables they use are certified for them and whatever faults are handled with their supplier. It’s simply a matter of taking responsibility...

If you want to use your own cable its better to do it after handover.
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum