Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home Technology Hub

Page 24 of 24
Quirmeball1280
Renman
NthHome
[quote="Drew01"][quote="NthHome"]

I built this - my first ever network setup (thanks youtube)

I have 2x 24 port patch panels

1x 48 port ubiquiti switch

2 x ubiquiti AP pro access points ( gives more than enough coverage for me 50square house ) they come with poe injectors so no need for a poe switch

Plan to buy Hk Poe cameras and a 8 port Poe switch but that’ll be later

This all took me two days (time to build cabinet , attach to wall , connecting all cables to patch panels and setup of network - that was the easiest bit!!! Ubiquiti make it really easy!!!)

Did you run in your own cabling?

Metricon did the cabling and I needed to connect them to a patch panel

NthHome

Thanks for the BoM.

Do you have a double storey home? I have insulation between the ground and first floor, additional insulation in the internal walls. Insulation generally causes ~5db lost to the WiFi signal, do you experience these drops?

My KDR Metricon Hampshire - Liberty - 45 Melb

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t[/quote]

Maybe 1 AP upstairs and 1 AP downstairs?

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846[/quote] yeah that’s heaps

Quirmeball1280
Hi all, does anyone have a view on Sonos vs Apple HomePod? Just thinking ahead in relation to home audio

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846

Hi,
I love both products but i'm gonna go with Sonos for this.
The sound is great on both and Most the things in my house will be Apple and Homekit enabled but I find the Homepod is basically a Smart Play 5 but you cant use other services with it.
I can use my watch or phone to ask Siri to play music already so its not that big a deal.
You can also look at pairing Sonos One's if you want Alexa without an Echo.

And apparently 2 Sonos One's beats 1 Hompod... which I have already.
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-homepod ... -face-off/
To all the very knowledgeable experts out there is there a way or products that will allow me to control my lights at the switch and override the switch wirelessly through an app and or voice. Best case would b to control each globe seperately and then create groups if needed.
Thanks and I hope there is a way
stme
To all the very knowledgeable experts out there is there a way or products that will allow me to control my lights at the switch and override the switch wirelessly through an app and or voice. Best case would b to control each globe seperately and then create groups if needed.
Zwave switches combined with something like Home Assistant would do this nicely.

www.smarthome.com.au sell some nice solutions that would accommodate your needs

stme

Great question... I think LIFX can do that, I know that they work off the switch if you want but I think that if you need to set a scene or anything it overrides the switch... you'd think it would have to.
There's people on here that have it so hopefully they'll be able to confirm shortly and i'll be interested in the answer also as I will be getting Lifx globes.
Landy9
stme

Great question... I think LIFX can do that, I know that they work off the switch if you want but I think that if you need to set a scene or anything it overrides the switch... you'd think it would have to.
There's people on here that have it so hopefully they'll be able to confirm shortly and i'll be interested in the answer also as I will be getting Lifx globes.
LIFX only works independently of the switch if the switch is left on...

Something like this http://www.smarthome.com.au/aeotec-z-wa ... witch.html works with the switch, but can also override it.

I'll be using the two channel version of this in conjunction with a presence sensor I've designed to determine if my kids are in their bedrooms or not, and if they're not, and the lights/ceiling fan have been left on, to turn them off automatically.

You can buy them much cheaper on AliExpress, but those ones aren't approved for use in Australia

Drew01
Landy9
stme

LIFX only works independently of the switch if the switch is left on...

Something like this http://www.smarthome.com.au/aeotec-z-wa ... witch.html works with the switch, but can also override it.

I'll be using the two channel version of this in conjunction with a presence sensor I've designed to determine if my kids are in their bedrooms or not, and if they're not, and the lights/ceiling fan have been left on, to turn them off automatically.

You can buy them much cheaper on AliExpress, but those ones aren't approved for use in Australia

Consider this zigbee light switch as well. Goes from 1 to 3 gang. http://www.3asmarthome.com/smart-switches

You would normally pair a smart switch with regular lights so in effect you control a group of lights based on how they are hardwired. If you wanted to control individual globes directly and/or create groups then skip the smart switch and go install smart lights.
stme

I'd also recommend the z-wave modules as other have. They can be retro fitted into existing fittings without running extra cables, and easily installed by an electrician.
They can also be set up to do advanced functions beyond turning lights on/off with your phone. For example, my hallway lights turn on when I open the front door between sunset and sunrise, and if there's no movement detected in the hallway for 5 minutes, the lights will turn themselves off.
its great to hear. just started testing a veraplus controller with a few power switches & a sensor to understand how it all works, before going all out replacing light switches etc and fully integrating it into the house that I am building
Thanks all for the information. Looks like some fun times researching it all.
vannpaul
its great to hear. just started testing a veraplus controller with a few power switches & a sensor to understand how it all works, before going all out replacing light switches etc and fully integrating it into the house that I am building
gone the next step now to integrate veraplus to harmony hub
Sensor lights for smart houses.
vannpaul
vannpaul
gone the next step now to integrate veraplus to harmony hub
Home Assistant is your friend!

I have been running alexa, veraplus and harmony hub together for almost 2 months. integration between alexa & harmony has been working well for home theatre, but I am yet to present the veraplus devices to alexa yet. once I replace our manual light dimmers with z-wave dimmers and setup the relevant scenes, then I will see how alexa goes with that.
Hey everybody, Hope someone could help/weigh in. Here's the thing, we narrowed down our choices for a smart speaker to Amazon. Thought it would make the choice easier, but no, there are more to pick from. The Echo and Dot stood out, the latter particularly for the price (excuse the cheapskate
). Is the Dot's sound quality really poor compared to the Echo as this article https://www.meccanohome.com/amazon-echo-vs-dot/ implies? Any experience with the Dot or are we better off with Echo Thanks!
Hi Robbert, the simple answer is yes, the sound quality won't be great.

If sound quality is your priority, check https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/wireless-speakers/lf-s50g

Cheers,
Sonos, Bose also do built-in Alexa, which are better quality again

Thanks RegVic and Drew01. We might be bothered by the sound quality of the Dot knowing it could be better. Will look into your recommendations.
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum