Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home Technology Hub

Page 1 of 24
Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to discuss all things technology in relation for your home. Items to discuss for the home can include:

1. Motorised equipment
2. Smart TV/Gadgets
3. Home Automation systems
4. Intelligent Alarm/Intercom/surveillance systems
5. Voice control units
6. Internet connected devices
7. Robotics
8. Smart Devices & cool gadgets

The more innovative and cool gadgets for your home the better !!!

@Orph

Build thread: viewtopic.php?t=78328
Does this include vacuums

monalisa

Mona only if you possess a ultra high end Dyson hand held vacuum cleaner

@Orph

Orpheus
monalisa

@Orph

I have two dysons. Does that count?

monalisa
Orpheus
monalisa

@Orph

I have two dysons. Does that count?

That's good enough! How's yr central vacuum unit? Have you ordered the vac robot yet?
Have you got or are looking at getting any new gadgets?

@Orph

Im in

Mona I think you need to start a separate thread for vacuums lol

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Franky40
Im in

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Don't get all the obsession with Dyson.

Word of warning for anyone getting a robot vacuum, they are good little sweepers but when they bump into walls they leave a mark so you end up with a black line all around your skirting.
Franky40
Im in

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Yeah and a new TV shop called "What to do with all your vaccumms"!

@Orph

Home Furniture: viewtopic.php?t=80551
Technology Hub: viewtopic.php?t=83663
Landscape Design: viewtopic.php?t=80645
Neville S
Franky40
Im in

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Don't get all the obsession with Dyson.

Word of warning for anyone getting a robot vacuum, they are good little sweepers but when they bump into walls they leave a mark so you end up with a black line all around your skirting.

Hmm, good point Nev. Can we install bumpers on the robot vacs or maybe get a white version?

@Orph

Great idea thank you!
Corallake
Great idea thank you!

Welcome Coral!

Feel free to post any topics for discussion.

For our first segment then we can discuss robot vacs?? I'm planning to get one too!

Other topics in the coming month will include:
1. Motorised blinds/curtains/awnings
2. Home automation ideas
3. A Networked home

@Orph

Hi all.. I've been stalking these forums for a bit now and hopefully have my own thread Soon

The following would be my automation Wishlist which may grow and change overtime as there are some many things that can be done .

1. Samsung smart Hub - that will become the automation hub.

2. Amazon Echo - that will be the audio interface connected to smart hub so u can do voice commands to control e.g Amazon turn TV On , Amazon turn lights on etc ....

3. Philips hue or Osram lights - to control lights , dimmer and color by the app or Amazon echo voice

4.TV added to S. smart hub to control TV. Has to be a compatible Smart TV

5. Samsung motion sensor to control as a security sensor when I'm away

6. CCTV - I'm thinking of adding one outside only that connects to the hub. I haven't found the right product yet.

7. Heating and Cooling - again would depend on the model and if compactible would be able to control thermostats to control heating and cooling

-not having a theatre room so not doing much there however you can find a Boss System that can be interfered easily to this if you want audio. Amazon echo has a built in speaker as well so can easily talk to it to play track etc .

IFTTT platform provides a good platform for pre scheduling and automation with using these devices and good thing to check out as well .

Sizz_G39
Hi all.. I've been stalking these forums for a bit now and hopefully have my own thread Soon

The following would be my automation Wishlist which may grow and change overtime as there are some many things that can be done .

1. Samsung smart Hub - that will become the automation hub.

2. Amazon Echo - that will be the audio interface connected to smart hub so u can do voice commands to control e.g Amazon turn TV On , Amazon turn lights on etc ....

3. Philips hue or Osram lights - to control lights , dimmer and color by the app or Amazon echo voice

4.TV added to S. smart hub to control TV. Has to be a compatible Smart TV

5. Samsung motion sensor to control as a security sensor when I'm away

6. CCTV - I'm thinking of adding one outside only that connects to the hub. I haven't found the right product yet.

7. Heating and Cooling - again would depend on the model and if compactible would be able to control thermostats to control heating and cooling

-not having a theatre room so not doing much there however you can find a Boss System that can be interfered easily to this if you want audio. Amazon echo has a built in speaker as well so can easily talk to it to play track etc .

IFTTT platform provides a good platform for pre scheduling and automation with using these devices and good thing to check out as well .

Welcome Sizz!

Looks like yr wishlist is exactly the same as mine but I'm only allowed to implement one tenth of what you are doing hahaha....

I would like to get the Amazon Echo for voice control and prob the Samsung smart hub to see if I can integrate the TV, motorised blinds/awnings & door latches into the smart hub. I like the idea of voice activated automation.

I heard there are a few other home automation systems such as C-Bus and Fibaro but these are expensive products ($20k-50k)!!

@Orph

Good to find the automation fans ... Who are also Glendale fans

Amazon echo is a must to make the whole solution easier rather than having many apps controlling individual devices ...

I still haven't found something good in automated blind options so if if there are any thoughts or options out there .. Would be good to find out more !!!

And yep does come down to the $$$ ... Although most things are fairly reasonably priced vs spending the same on some of the builder upgrade options

Made a provision for a floor level powerpoint under our shelves in the butler's pantry, for our Roomba.

Despite being working in technology, im essentially building a dumb house, almost all the IoT solutions can be added post.

I had a robo vac. Walk into the room one day and it smelt like it was burning hair. I clean it every day so was a bit concerned sent it back to store. They said they would fix it. Told them I didn't want it as I felt it was a hazard. Never got my money back and never picked it up. Won't do that again. We got ducted vac plus I have both a large Dyson and a stick Dyson.

Our Nolan
viewtopic.php?p=1516376%23p1516376
I asked M if they provided any smart home options and they said they can provide lighting and home automation through C-Bus but it can cost $50-100k

Metricon Liberty 45 in Ryde NSW
viewtopic.php?t=82846
Quirmeball1280
I asked M if they provided any smart home options and they said they can provide lighting and home automation through C-Bus but it can cost $50-100k

Metricon Liberty 45 in Ryde NSW
viewtopic.php?t=82846

Yup they advertise C-Bus in their showrooms but it is indeed $50k (WTH)!

@Orph

@ Orph - love the ducted vacuum! No other planned gadgets. I am happy without
I had C-bus throughout my last place which I built 12 years ago. Whilst the theory is great, in practice we didn't use it to it's full.

Even then it was ridiculously expensive but it was conected to the cytech comfort automation system so we could phone the house and turn the lights on or even set up the holiday mode to randomly turn lights on on different days.

This house is very different with only a small LAN, a couple of mobotix POE cameras (inc door station). Underfloor hydronic heating (inc upstairs bathrooms) with small duct high velocity AC in the bed / study / theatre controlled by a KNX bus. Ducted hide a hose vac (this is brilliant) and motorised windows in the void.

Using my LG-G4 to bring you this update.
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum