Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Raised Platform size?

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone,
I am trying to work out how deep to make my raised seating platform.
It will be full width and 300mm high. I will have 1 step on one side to step up to the platform.
I don't have the seats as yet but I am planning to fit a 2 or 3 seater with a single on one or both sides of that. Not concerned about recliners for back row.
Would 1500mm be deep enough for seat as well as space to walk past?
Wow... where have all the theatre guru's gone?
I have worked out that 1500 should be OK?
A deeper platform would allow me greater flexibility to add recliners to back row but my theatre is not big enough to do this (IMO) as it is only 4910mm long.
Hey Room,

I think you need to measure the base of the seat, how much it reclines back and then how much the foot rest protrudes. You need to have enough platform so you can comfortably walk across to your seat.

I would have thought 1.5 - 2 meters would be needed. 4.9m long should be able to fit a 2m platform. I know plenty that put two rows of seating in that length for sure. Use incliners at the back.
Thanks Mark. I went down to the local Video Pro store and rearranged their seats lol. You are correct. 3.0 metres is still very comfortable even with the 120" screen. So then we went to Super Amart and tried, tested and measured a mountain of different seats lol.
I could still get some nice 2 and 3 seater units that would work fine on a 1500 platform, but so much more flexibility by going to the 1900 platform.
One thing I did discover though... My ceiling height is 2640mm. Take 300 off for platform, 200 for projector bracket and another 200 for the actual projector. I'm left with 1940 under the projector.
Rather than have people hit it all the time, I have decided that it might be more comfortable to have a small coffee / drinks table under the projector with seating on either side.

How long did you sit in front of the 120" screen at 3m? Seems abit close to me but it is all up to the individual I guess
Well I didn't watch the whole movie but long enough to wait for a particular sales person to help us out. I didn't think it would be far enough either at first but at 3 meters I didn't have to turn my head to watch it so it wasn't too close. 3 meters is still wall to wall in a average sized bedroom so even though it might sound close its not really.
Hey Roo,

I think i have my front row at 3.0 so head at 3.5 and my screen is 160 ciniscope so 3.8m wide. it will be fine. I am having a row of 5 at the rear and a row of 4 in the front. Both rows are incliners so where the back of the chair is where it reclines at.

My ceiling is 3.3m so plenty of room. My mate has a 160 16x9 and we are only about 4 meters and after 3 years he wants bigger.
Thanks again Mark,
Where are you getting your seats from?

I am getting custom seats from a company in Singapore that has a sister company in Perth. It's easy for me as I live in Singapore.

The company is cossimo gallery. Very good quality and a lot cheaper than Australia.

Cheers
Mark
Related
7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum