Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Speaker cable type and point location

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys n gals,
I need to act quickly and get speaker cables into my theatre walls before the plasterers start next week.
As you can see by the attached photo, my theatre room is 4230mm wide x 4910mm long.
My projector will be mounted on the ceiling to the left closest to the window with the screen mounted on the wall on the right end.

My questions are....
1. How far away from the wall should I have the power point in the ceiling?
I have heard tales where the power point ends up too close to where the projector needs to mount and have been advised to locate it middle of the ceiling and as close to the left end wall as possible. So it would be behind the projector?

2. What size / thickness / grade speaker cable should I be running through the wallsame?
I plan to use in-wall speakers and in-ceiling speakers connected to a Onkyo 11.2 Atmos receiver.

I already have a 50mm conduit running from the centre of the front wall up and to the back of the ceiling to be able to pull through any extra cables I may need (HDMI) but is there anything else I should look at adding now while I have the chance? (Besides the obvious insulation)

Thanks for your help.
Oh... and that door Is actually hinged from the opposite side.
You should only need HDMI to connect the projector to your receiver. No point running anything else really.

12 or 14AWG would be recommended for running through your ceilings etc 14 AWG is more appropriate as your not running cables over 10 metres ( can go up to 50 before you really need 12 AWG )
Round off the bends in your conduit.. it may be 50mm , but a 90degree corner even with a drawstring might not allow you to pull through a new HDMI version 3.5 cable through (should there ever be one).

Speaker cable or any sorts of cable you put behind gyprock should be the best ones you can put in there, just be sure to leave plenty of slack cable to allow movement.

You may want to consider IR distribution, i.e. receiver just below your screen, which retransmit the IR to multiple retransmitters. That way you can have all your gear hidden in cupboards , with one of those retransmitters run up the 50mm conduit you have to the projector, with it attached to the IR 'eye' on the projector.

Powerpoint for your projector can be a bit tricky, depending upon mounting points. Assuming the common projector mounts, you can often get away with mounting it fairly close to the actual mounting points of the projector, even if perhaps slightly off to the side. You don't want a bunch of cable hanging down like the dags on a sheep.
Related
17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home