Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Network Confusion.. Need Help!!

Page 1 of 1
The Dilemma...
We have network cabling being done in our house. Started yesterday but didnt actually get much done at all which is good as I think I need to change it!!.

This is what our data plan looks like at the moment:

LEGEND
C = IP Camera
T = TV Point
D = Data Point
P = Phone Point

My Concerns...
The Hills Home Hub - I have been told to ditch this all together as it's crap and overpriced?
Problem is, it's located under the stairs and to replace it with a normal 9RU cabinet it will stick out from the wall too far.
Should I move this to Garage (If I still can) and fit it in beside the NBN equipment?

Phone Points - The HHH from what I understand will make some lines phone only. I have since been informed to not do this and run all points as data and then I can plug a phone in anywhere?

We are also going to add 2extra data points into the ceiling (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs) to be able to install a ceiling mounted WAP on each floor.
Can anyone recommend a good product?

IP Camera's - The NVR will be located in the WIR upstairs but once again.. I have been told it would be better to just locate it in or near the rack. Thoughts on this?
HHH are generally overpriced, but in the end nothing really wrong with it.
A lot of people now go for a 3rd party enclosure to house all the networking equipment like these - https://www.brenclosures.com.au/nbn-enclosures.htm

Do you really need a 9RU cabinet? That is quite large for what appears to be a very basic home network setup.

I would be running EVERYTHING back to a central location. That includes the NBN conduit so the NTD can be connected either in an enclosure like above or at least mounted onto a wall close to your networking equipment.

Phone connections in an NBN enabled area are completely pointless and serve no purpose what so ever, get them terminated as data, and if need be you can use a phone as the data will be able to carry the same signals as the phone but not visa versa.

I have read / heard very good things about Ubiquiti Wireless AP - https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/ - They are not cheap though.

Same as above for the IP cameras, run EVERYTHING back to a central location.
Those cabinets look good.
Can you get switches and patch panels to fit that depth though?
probably not large 24-48 port models. If you need that many you will probably need maybe a 5u network rack?
Totally agree with kyle9600. Run everything to a central location. Preferably next to the NBN NTD.

The Ubiquiti products are really good but expensive.

I personally am using Hikvision cameras and they're good and they do the job.
OK we made some changes...
Relocated the network rack to the garage right beside the NBN, dropped the HHH and have replaced it with a 6RU cabinet, 2 x 24 port patch panels and 2 24 port HP Procurve Gigabit switches. Will also be adding a small POE Switch to cater for items like the 2 WAP
Roomeat
OK we made some changes...
Relocated the network rack to the garage right beside the NBN, dropped the HHH and have replaced it with a 6RU cabinet, 2 x 24 port patch panels and 2 24 port HP Procurve Gigabit switches. Will also be adding a small POE Switch to cater for items like the 2 WAP

Nice setup. My only comment would be to consider rack location as they are quite large. Is your garage oversized? The rear wall is better IMO. There's no requirement to be adjacent to NBN equipment.

That begs the question, why not mount NBN equipment inside the rack? You are implementing a fairly expensive networking solution and it seems like an oversight to not include the NBN equip in the cabinet.
Yeah it's all in the same location so probably will be housed together. Yes we do have a oversized garage, i like to tinker lol. We also have our electrical sub box located on the same wall (too many circuits to fit in meter box haha)
Definitely put everything central.
But, when considering your garage as a location, think about heat. If equipment gets too hot, it will shutdown or malfunction.

You are using some decent equipment. But ProCurve gear is pretty serious for home. Not a bad thing, but I a wondering why you need 2x24 port switches? How many devices will you have? And on top of this, a separate POE switch?
Personally, I would be looking at getting a single 24 port switch (or 48 if you really need it) with POE built in, and on all ports.
3 switches in a home environment is not over excessive, it is messy.

Ubiquity definitely is the way to go. Well priced and robust.

If you really need to use enterprise level gear, I would use this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cisco-WS-C37 ... Sw5ZBWIyJL

What sort of cable did they wire your house with? Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a?
Run all CAT6 cable throughout the house regardless of what you intend to use each point for - flexibility and expandability is the whole point of "smart" wiring.

It may be more suitable to have it beside the NBN NTD, though not essential. If I were to have any reason to have the hub located separately, I would put it upstairs and not under a staircase.

NVR location - either can work, but moving to garage makes sense. Another option is and as hinted before - If you chose to have it more of a centralized setup, you could do away with a POE NVR and run all your data points and cameras off a POE Switch, which would allow you to run a quieter NVR in perhaps a theatre room, one of my clients has a big screen for his cameras and he can flick through it with his remote control whenever he wants to playback anything.
Here is a rundown of mine with data points and tv points combined.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Aussie141414/Untitled.png
Roomeat
We are also going to add 2extra data points into the ceiling (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs) to be able to install a ceiling mounted WAP on each floor.
Can anyone recommend a good product?

I am coming in late here, but would recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi access points.

I've used their new UAP-AC-Lite, perfect for residential environment and coupled that to an EdgeRouter PoE, which is a 5 port switch. One to the network, two for the access points plus (it provides the power they need) plus two for local equipment.
Related
30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum