Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

New home theatre blank canvas.

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone. I need some assistance I my home theatre.

We are 2 weeks away from going to final draw stage. And just want to run a few ideas past the people that know more than me.

Here is my room.
It will be a dedicated adults theatre.
I currently have a Yamaha RX-677 7.2ch amp that I would like to use. With matching Yamaha 7.1 speakers/powered sub.
Otherwise all other components will be new.

I need help concurring the screen & projector vrs large LED tv.

I plan to have a feature bulkhead around the wall to accommodate either option but I need to fine tune what info with the cabling locations for both receiver position and projector if used.

I will have NBN available to me as well. So what do I need to cater for with this. Will a single cat 6 cable to the receiver position be enough?

Can the receiver live outside the room next to the NBN cabinet and feed a separate area like alfresco with wireless music to zone B Speakers in the ceiling.

Run a long HDMI cable to the video source.

I plan on using wall plates for the speaker points. And mounting the bookshelf speakers on dedicated swivel mounts.

Or should I just leave the receiver in a rack in the room. And bring all the connections to under the screen position and have a low ****** cabinet.

also I have heard of doing staggered studs in the room will help with the acoustics. The builder is willing to put in sounds batts and sound check plasterboards for $450.

Ok that's about all I can think of for now. Thanks.

Damo's ******* boat building repair centre.
Depending on your budget I would definitely go with a projector and screen for a dedicated home cinema. An LED TV has an aspect ratio of 16:9, which is why you get black bars top and bottom when watching movies, as most movies are filmed for cinema with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (or 2.39:1). If it's within your budget, I'd recommend getting something like a JVC projector (DLA x500) or better with programmable zoom and probably for your length of room a 120" 2.35:1 screen (or 2.40:1 which is becoming popular). My screen was around $2000. You run a long HDMI cable from receiver - up the wall and through the roof, then back down to projector.

That's the way to go if you want a true cinema experience. A large TV can't compare. For movies (such as many comedies) or TV episodes which are 16:9 (or even 4:3) and gaming such as Xbox, there will be black bars at the sides as opposed to black bars top & bottom that you see on your TV. These are much less obtrusive than bars top & bottom, you tend not to even notice. You'll notice at the cinema when they're showing the commercials they have the curtain partly closed for this reason, as the commercials are 16:9.

This of course is if your main goal is to have a large movie experience, ie you watch a lot of blu ray movies. If you're going to be using it for regular TV viewing such as sport or TV episodes on Netflix etc, then you may consider having 16:9 (although personally I would still go 2:35 or 2:40 anyway
) You'll never regret it.

I would have the receiver in the room for better control while watching things. I'd run at least 2 data cables to behind where the receiver will be as other things such as blu ray players & gaming consoles also connect to the net.

Michael
Go constant image height screen at 237:1 and get one of the latest projectors at the last minute. Although you have 7.1 wire for ATMOS. I would also see if you can go acoustic transparent screen and look at some krix phonics or mega phonics as your as your LCR. Then the speaks can all be same height and leaves plenty beneath the screen for gear.

I would use sound check as insulation. My room is a little bigger at 6.15 x 5.00 and it is full double brick. I am also using soundcheck for all walls and ceiling with sound batts crammed in the ceiling cavity to stop bleep through the roof.

Think about where you spend the money. I decided not to rely on blu ray players and have a media pc with a heap of storage and use JRiver to manage all music and video. It really is awesome when you get into the hundreds of titles and it is a fairly low spec PC.

Spend money on things that dont really change. i.e. speakers and sub woofer, possibly power amps. All other pieces constantly improve. Projectors I would have gone JVC with an anamorphic lens a year back but now you have some pretty good projectors that can do 237:1 stretch. I think one needs a middle ground as when 4K content starts being released you wil want a projector that can also handle it.

Now I am just ranting... good luck.
OK I think I have a little more of a plan now.

I will use a projector most probably a BenQ w1070.
A fixed screen 110" I think. Based on the front viewing might be a little too much for a 120" screen.

The Yamaha system will stay as I like its sound. And will be wired into wall plates to hide all the cables around the room.

Sound check batts will be used with sound check plaster board as well.

I have confirmed the NBN connection and am currently looking for a suitable NAS to sit in the garage with my NBN. Netgear readyNAS 102 looks like a suitable candidate. That way all my TV's and there're will have access to all data. My question is, whether or not I can access something like net flicks through it?

Also I need a solution for ceiling mounted speakers out in the alfresco. I would like to be able to stream Bluetooth music to them. And possibly stream a TV audio source to them. Like watching footy on the TV outside and have the audio available everywhere in the Alfresco.

Or is a soundbar mounted at the soffit line a better choice?

Damo's ******* boat building repair shop.
Will your projector be mounted at the back of the room or forward a bit? I have heard that the w1070 can't be mounted very far from the screen, from memory 3.5m max (so 3/4 of the way down the room) or something like that. Or the sales guy was trying to put me off it and buy a more expensive Sony or Jvc
The w1070 has a short throw version and normal. I'll be aiming for a 92" screen from 3.6m I think.

My speaker towers are 980mm tall so I need to stay above them when I mount the screen.

Damo's ******* boat building repair centre.
Having a better look at the reviews I think the w1350 might be the way to go for us in terms of throw distance. My only concern is weather or no I can see those rainbows lots of people are talking about..
Related
16/08/2023
QS fees for building a new home

General Discussion

Is it just a report written to give to the bank initially and it is based on what and how your payments are made up for, or is it a full service where they go out and…

19/08/2023
New home

Building A New House

Skjm You might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKx-bsOr2jg If that link doesn't work go to youtube and search for Zac Homes ACA I am really…

13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum