Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Projector room set up

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

Building a house very soon and looking at getting my 1st projector for our cinema room.

Room is approx 4m x 4m

Weve had plasmas all our lives but i want the bigger screen now for the full effect. I have an awesome surround sound valued at 8g.

Who would i speak to about setting it up? What are some good dlp around $1000?

Also any1 know the price of a dlp setup in a room? Costs? Etc

I understand it would be better to set it up at the time of the build bcoz of the wiring.

Or is it better to get another 60inch plasma? Basically i want to full on home theatre set up visual and audio.

Any help appreciated πŸ˜‰
I'd say the best DLP you'll get for that price point would be the BenQ W1070, which is a very good budget projector.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi ... -mmbqw1070

And yes, I would look at at least having a high-speed HDMI cable run from wherever you plan to sit your A/V gear all the way up the to projector point, along with power.
Cheers RJMM_H1 THANKS for your help mate
Don't forget screen price unless your going super budget and just projecting on the wall. As screens are pretty pricey aswell.
Nic and Shell 1
Don't forget screen price unless your going super budget and just projecting on the wall. As screens are pretty pricey aswell.

Do u know what the screens range from??
All depends on size, material, and type (electronic, fixed etc.)
This is the place to go for projector screens, it's where I bought mine from.

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/

There are several different screen materials available, including the Acoustically Transparent (AT) screens, where you put your speakers behind the screen, which is what my next screen will be.
Prob fixed... looks more the part. Bt i just read that a painted matt white wall has the same effect and cheqper
A few suggestions:

1. There is nothing like a good projector to give a cinema-like atmosphere at home.
- before you build, ideally buy the projector that you want. That way you can plan the best location for the roof mount and a roof power point.
- Have your builder or their electricians install a 50mm diameter pipe with draw string from the ceiling location for the projector through to the base of the wall below the screen where your entertainment systems will be setup. Make sure the pipe has large-diameter bends so that is easy to draw cables through.
- The reasoning for a 50mm pipe is that cables connectors can be bulky and a 50mm pipe will allow cables to be pulled through relatively easily, although cable lube helps. The pipe also allows cables to be easily replaced if technology changes in the future.
2. Go for in-wall speakers. Much less clutter. Have your walls pre-wired for speakers.
3. I negotiated with my builder to allow my own electricians to go in and do part of the install.
4. A great place to buy the screen and the projector is The Cable Connection. http://www.thecableconnection.com.au. You can also get speakers from them. Make sure your wall frames are deep enough for the in-wall speakers.

My screen setup here - cabinet was done by my kitchen installer:
Wow thanks max ur a world of helpfulness... cheers
maximus
A few suggestions:

1. There is nothing like a good projector to give a cinema-like atmosphere at home.
- before you build, ideally buy the projector that you want. That way you can plan the best location for the roof mount and a roof power point.
- Have your builder or their electricians install a 50mm diameter pipe with draw string from the ceiling location for the projector through to the base of the wall below the screen where your entertainment systems will be setup. Make sure the pipe has large-diameter bends so that is easy to draw cables through.
- The reasoning for a 50mm pipe is that cables connectors can be bulky and a 50mm pipe will allow cables to be pulled through relatively easily, although cable lube helps. The pipe also allows cables to be easily replaced if technology changes in the future.
2. Go for in-wall speakers. Much less clutter. Have your walls pre-wired for speakers.
3. I negotiated with my builder to allow my own electricians to go in and do part of the install.
4. A great place to buy the screen and the projector is The Cable Connection. http://www.thecableconnection.com.au. You can also get speakers from them. Make sure your wall frames are deep enough for the in-wall speakers.

My screen setup here - cabinet was done by my kitchen installer:

Wow nice setup.. how bigs ya screen? I already have external surround setup worth abt 8g... i would love to get in wall speakers but i love the sound of my klipsch/boston acoustics setup. Sound is amazing. I have an old amp.. but still goes hard. 125watts per channel.. bt i have to run optical bcoz no hdmi.. still give good clarity tho considering..
My screen is 100 inch from memory. Either that or 110.

My room size is 4.3m long by 3.45m wide. In this room the projector mount is sitting about 3.8m from the front. Make sure you select a projector that has a throw-distance that suits your room.
maximus

My room size is 4.3m long by 3.45m wide. In this room the projector mount is sitting about 3.8m from the front. Make sure you select a projector that has a throw-distance that suits your room.

Yeh sweet. Our room is 3.5 x 3.8m. Daaam so much to think about. Itll be worth it in the end i guess πŸ˜‰
vijaytee1
maximus

Yeh sweet. Our room is 3.5 x 3.8m. Daaam so much to think about. Itll be worth it in the end i guess πŸ˜‰

If your room is that size, make sure you research projectors carefully. It can be hard to find projectors to suit a room that size yet still throw and image onto a 100inch screen. Your projector will need to be a minimum of 500mm from your room's back wall.

Also - extra bracing is needed for the projector mount. The projector can be quite heavy. Get your electricians to install extra timber support in the roof so that bracket can be mounted after plastering is done.
Also, you can use this calculator to help figure out your projector throw distance, ideal projector mount location and appropriate screen size.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/project ... or-pro.cfm
maximus

A big +1 to that. Some might think 50mm with large radius bends to be overkill, at least until they try to pull come cables through, in particular HDMI cables.

Quote:

Most people will be happy with in-wall speakers, but if you want better speakers, go for it... just as has been said pre-wire your speakers.

Quote:

+1 to The Cable Connection.
The pipe was a bit of a sore point. The electrician stuffed it up and put 3 tight bends in the 50mm pipe. As such could not get hdmi cables through it successfully. I was not impressed.

My workaround was to run cat5 through the pipe and use cat5 to hdmi converters.
maximus
The pipe was a bit of a sore point. The electrician stuffed it up and put 3 tight bends in the 50mm pipe. As such could not get hdmi cables through it successfully. I was not impressed.

My workaround was to run cat5 through the pipe and use cat5 to hdmi converters.

This worries me also, my builder wants to use a 40mm pipe and needs to run up, across the ceiling and back down the wall. I'm worried that it won't work as easily as I want it to to pull cables.

Do you think using slim cables like these would've helped you maximus?

http://www.scpcat5e.com/hdmi-c-395/hdmi-cables-c-395_114/ultraslim-hdmi-cables-c-395_114_292/
Possibly. You've still got to get the connectors and cables through without damaging them. After the build was completed I arranged another electrician to install all my wall plates and fit and wire up the speakers. I had this fellow drag the Cat 5 cables through for me. He had to use cable lube.

I had 2 cat5 cables run through the pipe. One is for the hdmi converter. The other is a spare. I can envisage that future converters might support 4k with two cat5 runs, if I ever upgrade the projector.

Related
30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum