Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Question for the theatre guru's about speakers

Page 1 of 1
All things going well, we will have a theatre room in our house with a wall mounted TV at one end.
I will be using a Onkyo receiver and more than likely Jensen speakers (they really do have a beautiful sound).
My question is... Do I go for self contained speaker units either floor or wall mounted, or do I get the In-Wall speaker sets?
I haven't heard the Jensen In-Wall units but I can only imagine that they would provide the same high quality.

Also, the receiver is 11.2 channel surround so if I went for the In-Wall, I could also use the In-Ceiling units to create what I would hope to be a awesome sound experience.

Does anyone have any experience with these units to offer some advice / opinions?
It really depends what look you are after for the room. If you want the hidden, more room approach then the ceiling/wall speakers may be the way to go. Speaker/floor units with have a better quality of sound as it is in an enclosure but a combination of the 2 could be another option: Centre & floors speakers at the front and ceiling speakers to the rear.
in wall systems are generally for aesthetics. You would need to do too much to the walls to ensure that the speakers peformed as well as enclosed floor standing speakers. Unless you are building enclosures/cabinets specifically designed for those drivers, I would avoid this at all costs.

Those in their own enclosure are built to exacting standards with appropriate enclosure and porting (if any) design. If it were me id go the elcosed speakers and then either wall mount them with appropriate isolation from the wall or just put them on the floor/stands.
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum