Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

The NBN Rollout and What it means to the new Home owner

Page 2 of 3
I would go for 1. That's how I have set it up as well. You also need a central multi gang data point in family room which distributes the data from family to the different rooms. I have a router which does level 1 and 2 local routing plus a POE switch which distributes poe connection to my various security cameras.
Besides security cameras, what else might use PoE? I'm just wondering if I'll need to bother with it.
Wireless access points and wired voip handsets are common devices that sometimes support POE.

I would put the allocation in, you will not need it straight away, but be kicking yourself when you do need it and don't have it.
Sorry but those metal enclosures are horrible for wifi! I know because to get decent signal with mine I have to have the door open! I have the exact one that is in the picture

This was what it looked like at first before ISP gear just with NTD

Then with modem

I then also realised the builders electricians left off 4 points and also my patch panel. It has now been wired better but still I think there should be 2x double GPO in there.

A cabinet with clear plastic door or even just plastic door would have been a lot better. I may just hole saw the top and feed a line out and wall mount the router out of the box. For now though, door open.
Are you able to have the Telstra router out of the box/room say in another study room or does it have to be connected to the box which is usually in the garage as I've had friends mention a cr@p wireless signal in the house because it's in the garage.

You need to connect your router elsewhere. They are not meant to be or designed to sit inside those enclosures.
Yeh.. put your switch in the enclosure, put your wifi router/access-point somewhere else connected to one of the data points in the house.
Awesome thanks.

I got two of these, one each end of the house and they should cover me off for wireless quite happily.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/

There are also cheaper (non 802.11ac) versions which retail under $100 each.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

then you get the cheap router supplied with your provider for free, and run a couple of cat6 cables to the access points.

They look sleek, are out of the way, give excellent coverage, easy to install (as long as you have spare power in the roof otherwise you may need an electrician) and are pretty cheap.
We've got the metal box too. Thanks for the advice on the wireless access point being separate to the switch.
Hi guys,
So basically, If put the NBN/broadband box in the garage, I have to connect the modem to the switch/wireless router; from there I connect the the rest of the Cat5 cable to the switch/wireless router so that every data point in the house can access to the internet.
Then, if I want wireless, I connect another wireless router in living room data point 1 (assume I have 1 for router and 1 for TV). from here on, I will have wired and wireless internet, is that correct?
Same as for the 1st floor, I connect another router for wireless upstair if the signal is not strong enough.

Currently, I have the cable broadband and data return point (I read in the electrical plan) located in my study room within my master room. So, does that mean the big bulky box will be in my master room? Should I relocated it to garage or in the theatre room?

For the future NBN, do I have to ask my builder to change the cable broadband port to NBN port or ask them to install an extra NBN port.

The fibre optic will go to the data point or just go back to the street which connect to the ISP fibre optics?

Thanks
I prefer keeping the primary wireless router inside my house in a central location for adequate wireless coverage.
Decide which room will be that for you in the ground floor and let's call it Hub1. Get wall cat6 data point from garage (near nbn box) to the hub room. Then connect each of the rooms in ground floor to the hub room via wall data points. 1 point per room is enough. If you have more than one device in a room, use a dumb switch in that room, it's cheaper. Decide on a hub room for 2nd floor. Connect a wall data point from hub1 to hub 2. Connect all rooms which need internet/data on 2nd floor to hub 2 via wall panels.
Use a wireless router and a dumb switch in hub 1. Nbn box to wireless router, wireless router to dumb switch. Dumb switch to all wall panels in hub 1. Put a dumb switch with wireless in hub 2. Connect wireless dumb switch to wall panels in hub 2. If you feel your wifi signal is still weak after this, you can always purchase a wireless extender.
For something like a theatre room, I would recommend more than 1 data point.
A dumb switch is cheaper than whatever you are going to pay for extra ports, so never worth it.
My work room connects 3 PCs, a Mac, TV, printer, scanner, all gaming consoles and is the hub for my Ipcams. All via a Poe dumb switch off one wall data port connected to the router.
more power and messy cables by adding switches everywhere
You will need the cables to run from the wall point to device or switch to device either way, unless you have a wireless switch with wireless device.
A switch needs one power point. If you are in a home theatre room, am sure you are using a surge protector power strip. One lan cable from wall point to switch hidden behind a cupboard or something then distributed to devices is neater in cable management than bunch of LAN wires from wall point to multiple devices.

But to each their own I guess. Not at home, but would have taken a pic of my room, would've paid a $ for every wire you can point out in the picture
Hi All,
I did a simple diagram showing the NBN connection. Could someone please confirm or comment if what i'm thinking is correct.

Thank you in advance.

That's correct. You need to contact your ISP for the phone connection via uni-v port and if you need to port your old number over. There's two uni-v ports.

The internet is via one of the uni-d ports.

Also get battery back up for the phone to work during power failure.
Thank you shadowarrior.
I'm thinking of placing the router inside a room to protect it from summer heat.
I assumed that the network termination device will be provided by the NBN provider, therefore i just need a provision CAT6 cable going to the router.

That's correct. They provide the outside box, ntd, power and battery units. All you need is a wall point of cat 6 ( for data) and a cat 5 (for phone) near the ntd in your garage which terminates to wherever you want your router and phone base. Also you need a plug point near the ntd mounting position. Make sure your builder gets the line work done for the nbn ground slab to outside wall, and a line work from outside wall to your garage, and keep pull threads for both these lines. Mark where your nbn slab is, often builders throw rubbish on top of it, making it harder for the nbn guy to find it when he comes to connect.
Related
28/09/2023
NEW BUILD - HIA - BUILDER GROUNDS TO TERMINATE IF OWNER DOES

Building A New House

Sorry but you have a crap builder. Probably too late now. For our last build I only spoke to builders who would allow me easy access (at no cost). I used my own sparky…

17/01/2024
Liaison between owner builder and engineer

Building A New House

The engineering is the engineering. It's irrelevant how much material you have. Unless it fits the requirements of your design the engineer can't "make"it work. You might…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum