Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

DOLBY ATMOS

Page 1 of 2
Hi all my son just started work at the new united cinemas craigieburn they have the new Dolby Atmos sound system installed in every cinema apparent the first in Oz to use it I have yet to see a movie but looking forward to has anyone sampled a home receiver with it and what were your thoughts.

Cheers
I will be getting my home cinema set up with Krix and Dolby Atmos but will not be til the end of the year. Deposits paid for the ballpark amount and final decisions to be made closer to the time. I think it will be amazing.
Certainly thinking about it, and have added in extra cabling in to my home theatre room for the extra speakers for when the time comes to upgrade my receiver.

The speakers for the extra atmos channels is going to be an interesting choice particulary if you do not have a high ceiling in the room.
@bpratt, check Krix out. They have several in ceiling models and flush to wall models that are not outrageously priced. Not furniture pieces to look at but they are quality when you listen. Thanks for the reminder on cabling to the ceiling. I will need to get my builder to lay those as well.
I am currently buliling and hope to be done within the next 4 to 6 weeks in the timbertop area (officer victoria). I too have had my house pre wired for 7.1.4.

I am going with Paradigms, but not sure on which ceiling speakers yet.

I am going with aa Yamaha 3040 Receiver
My brother has Paradigms, cost a fortune and look great, not sure about the sound as have not heard them but should be good. I did not want the speakers to be a feature so mine will blend I hope. Receivers wise while I am leaning towards the latest from Pioneer I will see what is out this time next year when I need it.

I think if you are having a dedicated room you should wire for ATMOS as it will allow flexibility even if you dont use it straight away.
Blish 2
I am currently buliling and hope to be done within the next 4 to 6 weeks in the timbertop area (officer victoria). I too have had my house pre wired for 7.1.4.

Hi Blish,

How did you go with your 3040 and Paradigms speakers. They sound great and fill the room with rich sound. Will be doing my media room soon. Builder electricians will be doing the speakers and HDMI cables for projector. I am not going for the wall speakers and will do the Paradigm hanging surround speaker. Hope it does not look odd when it pops out. Or might do it in the wall.
Not interested in the ceiling.
Gaggy
Blish 2

Hi Blish,

How did you go with your 3040 and Paradigms speakers. They sound great and fill the room with rich sound. Will be doing my media room soon. Builder electricians will be doing the speakers and HDMI cables for projector. I am not going for the wall speakers and will do the Paradigm hanging surround speaker. Hope it does not look odd when it pops out. Or might do it in the wall.

Sorry have not been on for a while. I love the sound Paradigms and 3040. I'm trying to sort how at the moment how to install the atmos upgrade in the avr.

If if any1 knows can you let me know please.

The builder / electrician stuffed up with one sub woofer cable, but apart from that it was ok
Blish 2
Gaggy
Blish 2

Hi Blish,

Sorry have not been on for a while. I love the sound Paradigms and 3040. I'm trying to sort how at the moment how to install the atmos upgrade in the avr.

If if any1 knows can you let me know please.

The builder / electrician stuffed up with one sub woofer cable, but apart from that it was ok

Sorry dont know anyone yet as I am building for the first time as well.
How did you go with atmos?

Anyone have there atmos setup up and running?
not yet but i do have all my ceiling speakers ready to go!( 4 for atmos)

so in the end I will have a 7.1.4 system(and if there is money left 7.2.4)

mixo
What receiver do you have?

I'm thinking 7.1.4 but think it may be overkill for the size room we have planned 5.5x4.5m
no receiver yet, but looking at a yammy(waiting for dts:x to come out proper..

Otherwise i have to spend a fortune on a amp and preamp to do 7.1.4

mixo
I just pulled the trigger on the yamaha 5100 pre and power. I am also using additional power amps to drive the LCR and two sub woofers.
how much did that set you back?
I got a good deal. It was around 6 for the yamahas and 11 for the 5 channel mcintosh. The budget has been well and truly smashed but it will be an awesome setup.
yep 6K is way out of my budget for an Amp...

Sounds you are well on your way.

mixo
mixo
not yet but i do have all my ceiling speakers ready to go!( 4 for atmos)

so in the end I will have a 7.1.4 system(and if there is money left 7.2.4)

mixo

What size room are you having for this system?
from memory its 4.5 mtrs by 7mtrs long
mixo
from memory its 4.5 mtrs by 7mtrs long

Do you think a 5.1.4 system would suit a 5.5x4.5m room better than a 7.1.4 or 7.1.2 system?
Related
You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum