Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Subwoofer location

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys, I am trying to work out where to locate the subby in the new place and I was thinking about fitting it inside the cabinet as shown below to get it off the floor - what do you think?

Am I going to have issues with resonance inside the cabinet? The idea is to have it out of the way and leave the doors so as to not muffle any sound. In my current place, it sits on the floor behind the couch and works very well. The only other option is to have it on display as per the one in the photo.
Have you ever seen (or fitted) cabinet mounted subwoofers?
Hi Tim.

A subwoofer will certainly have a good chance of rattling a cabinet if sat inside it, especially if sitting on/in it (off the ground, ie sitting on a part of the cabinet itself).

Also, if it is any type other than a sealed box with a front firing driver then putting it inside a cabinet will also reduce it's performance to some degree.

To get the best sonic performance from whatever sub you end up with (stand-alone ones at least) it really should be given it's own place on the floor in the room (even wedged into the corner of the room and surrounded on the 2 open sides by furniture, it still radiates sound waves out from it in other directions - like up....).
Thanks Rodda - you've confirmed my thoughts.
Rodda
surrounded on the 2 open sides by furniture

perhaps in the middle of 2 lounges?
FireFox
Rodda

Imagine someone putting their drink on it and the T-Rex in Jurassic park wanders by. I can see the drink running away in fear as well.

_Al_
FireFox
Rodda

Imagine someone putting their drink on it and the T-Rex in Jurassic park wanders by. I can see the drink running away in fear as well.

This is why one should invest in a quality sub or three, no cabinet resonates or vibrations.
_Al_
Imagine someone putting their drink on it

cup holders!

i was thinking of like putting them at the ends of the lounge.. so go 7.2 for some crazy over the top bass

-Nathan
Related
29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation