Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Issue with wall mounting my TV

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

I am back here after quite a while. Where else could I go to look for expert opinions

We are a year into our brand new house now. Slowly getting around to furnishing the house to make it our home. This is our first home and I would say it was all well planned, thanks to the suggestions and feedback I got on homeone forum.

Back during the build, I had asked my builder to install 2 extra studs on either side of the centre stud on on of our walls in our rumpus / theatre room. I couldnt be there to watch due to work commitments. The builder got it done. I then managed to do the speaker wiring and stuff to get the room ready for home theatre. I even took photos and measured each and every stud where I wanted to do the installation.

But now that I look back at the pictures, I realised that the builder made a huge mistake when installing these extra studs for wall mounting TV. the extra studs that he installed were installed parallel to the wall ( or perpendicular to the other studs ) and added to that, he has installed these extra studs closer to the other side of the wall rather than towards the theatre room. This has now left me with at least a 45mm gap between the wall and the extra stud. ( Please see pic below for details ). It was so stupid on the part of builder to install these studs this way especially after I showed and explained him the whole plan and idea behind installing these extra studs. I guess I cant blame him entirely. I should have checked as well.

Anyway, could you guys please suggest me a way by which I would still be able to wall mount my TV without having to take down the plaster and reinstall those studs? I am really keen to wall mount. Planning to get the 60 " LED/LCD TV which would weigh roughly around 28Kgs. the spacing between normal studs is 600mm and the 2 extra studs are 300 mm apart from centre stud. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae290/rajan_g4/FrontSpeakerSetup_zps6620c5ec.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae290/rajan_g4/Picture067_zps1cb5209e.jpg
Easy, just use some tubing to space the 45mm gap.
Thanks Paulmac. Do you mean some solid metal tubing?? eg brass tube ??
rajan_g4
Thanks Paulmac. Do you mean some solid metal tubing?? eg brass tube ??

Just use some 1/2 " mild steel tube cut to length, you can buy it from your local hardware store or metal supply.

Cut the tube to 55mm, drill the hole in the plaster to fit the external size of the tube, insert tube, fit tv mount with screws through the tube.
This way the tv bracket will be hard against the tube instead of the unsupported plaster.
There is no issue.

Your bracket will be long enough to bolt into the two original studs.

So four coach bolts into the two studs.

28kg is nothing.

My 65" plasma is about 70kg.

Installed with 4 coach bolts.
JB1
There is no issue.

28kg is nothing.

JB1, it's not the studs rajan is worried about, it's the fact that there is a gap between the plaster and the studs for the tv mount.
Thanks guys. Well, worried about both really. The reason I had these extra studs on either side (300mm) of the centre stud was so that I can use these extra studs for coach bolts which would give strong support to the TV as well as ensure that the TV sits right at the centre of the wall.

I guess I can still use the centre stud, and then as Paulmac said, use tubing to coach bolt to other 2 studs, so in all 6 coach bolts to support

ThNks
PaulMac
JB1
There is no issue.

28kg is nothing.

JB1, it's not the studs rajan is worried about, it's the fact that there is a gap between the plaster and the studs for the tv mount.

Yeah I know.

You don't need to use the two additional studs.

Say the bracket couldn't be installed between two original studs, that would mean that the bracket would be close to be centred to one stud.

That's also ok, I've installed a bracket also one stud with 2 bolts. It's only 30kgs.

Yes, ideally you would use 2 studs, but it's a static weight.

A large picture hook could support 30kgs.

Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum