Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Slimdevices squeezebox duet (by Logitech) anyone?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

my first post here
but have been a regular reader of this friendly and informative forum for a while.

wanna start a topic on a gadget called squeezebox duet:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

i am currently looking for home audio distribution system and the sonos system is out of the budget. so i think this is a very good (and a lot cheaper
) alternative to SONOS.

does anybody here currently using this system and care to give some reviews thoughts?

Some background info on the squeezebox duet:
- multiroom, multizone home audio distribution system based on Wi-fi network
- afaik, based on the reviews, can play different music in different rooms.
- the audio sources are your mp3s (and other various formats) in your hard disk (so you'll need to have the PC/media centre ON to listen to the music)
- or, when the PC is OFF, it can play audio streaming from the internet

- and have a look at the controller

EDIT: review by PCMAG:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2257243,00.asp
Sounds good jinroh, i'd like it even more if it had integrated speakers...then it would truely be a wireless system...

Much cheaper than the Sonos system by the sounds of it.
Yeah, spec-wise the biggest difference between this Logitech system and the Sonos system is that Sonos give you the option of a version of their 'ZonePlayer' (equivalent of the Squeezebox Receiver) with a built-in 50W x 2 stereo amplifier, whereas Logitech force you (for now at least) to provide your own stereo amplifier for each zone/Squeezebox Receiver (which means you will need to connect two separate devices to power in every zone).

Aside from that difference, trying to generally compare like for like here, it would appear as though the Squeezebox Duet system does what the Sonos system does for about half the price (maybe even less than half, depending on how the price breakdown really goes...)!

We've installed the Sonos system before (in a 4 zone environment) and have to say it kicks butt! It is a quality product and is a breeze to setup. On paper it would appear as though the Logitech Squeezebox Duet system could be every bit as good, which makes it a pretty exciting product...
Looks great!

Good luck getting one though...

They are not available in Australia as yet.

I have rang numerous sources to acquire one today but to no avail I am afraid. I will let you know what they are like once they are available though

Rodda
Yeah, spec-wise the biggest difference between this Logitech system and the Sonos system is that Sonos give you the option of a version of their 'ZonePlayer' (equivalent of the Squeezebox Receiver) with a built-in 50W x 2 stereo amplifier, whereas Logitech force you (for now at least) to provide your own stereo amplifier for each zone/Squeezebox Receiver (which means you will need to connect two separate devices to power in every zone).

i see. the plan is that we wanna have ceiling speakers in the ensuite, and then run the wire to the master br, then hook it up to the logitech. is there ceiling speakers that come with built-in amp?

we might also include pre-wiring ceiling speakers points in other rooms (kitchen, lounge, outdoor) in the electrical appointment tommorow and then run the stereo plug on the wall plate in each zones. will that be sufficient to run the squeezebox systems in the future?

mattwalker
I have rang numerous sources to acquire one today but to no avail I am afraid. I will let you know what they are like once they are available though

cheers, keep us posted
Hi Jinroh (intersting film)...

There are no in-ceiling speakers that I'm aware of that come with a built in amp (and if there were, they'd either be expensive or crap!)...

Basically, for each Zone you will need the following:

2 x speakers in the room/zone where you want to hear the music, either in-wall/in-ceiling, bookshelf or even floorstanding speakers
** fed by speaker cable from a stereo amplifier **
(this amplifier can be located anywhere)

1 x stereo amplifier (needs to plug into power somewhere)
** fed by analogue or digital audio interconnect cable from the Squeezebox Receiver **
(this Squeezebox Receiver can be located anywhere)

1 x Squeezebox Receiver (needs to plug into power somewhere)
** network connected to your PC or PC-based music server/source, either wireless or wired (Cat5E) - wired is faster and not prone to any signal degredation due to obstacles etc.) **
(this PC or PC-based music server/source can be located anywhere)

As you can see, some cable runs (including the power mentioned) are inevitable. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can get on with designing the solution that best works for you...
jinroh
cheers, keep us posted

Consider your self posted!!!

see here:

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=63630#63630
Nice Nice Nice...

First q:
how much did it cost u?

Thanks for the update
jinroh,

I paid $550 inc delivery to Melbourne...

np on the update
Related
9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

21/10/2023
anyone build on zero lot line more than 11 meters? Urgent.

Building A New House

I am building in claymore NSW and this is shown in the building envelope plan. …

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum