Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Phone/Network cabling advice for new house

Page 2 of 2
the_milesy
As a last thought, you may want to prepare for the NBN. Basically when this network is ready, you will have 1 cable running into your house (fiber). This one cable will provide your phone, internet, tv, pay tv etc etc. I'm not going to try to explain it here, but all your cabling will need to go back to 1 point in the house (the garage is a good option) and the fiber will go to that same point. Then a device will split the services to the relevant cabling in the house. (smart cabling).

hope that helps.

Milesy

In bold

the NBN at this time will not provide FTA/ Foxtel over Fibre and there are no indications for them to do this...

Only the Telstra/ Opticomm FTTH Estates offer this as they are also Clear roof estates (as in No FTA/ Foxtel dishes are aloowed on the roofs)
Pugs
the_milesy
As a last thought, you may want to prepare for the NBN. Basically when this network is ready, you will have 1 cable running into your house (fiber). This one cable will provide your phone, internet, tv, pay tv etc etc. I'm not going to try to explain it here, but all your cabling will need to go back to 1 point in the house (the garage is a good option) and the fiber will go to that same point. Then a device will split the services to the relevant cabling in the house. (smart cabling).

hope that helps.

Milesy

In bold

the NBN at this time will not provide FTA/ Foxtel over Fibre and there are no indications for them to do this...

Only the Telstra/ Opticomm FTTH Estates offer this as they are also Clear roof estates (as in No FTA/ Foxtel dishes are aloowed on the roofs)

The NBN ONT's do however have a coax port on them (they are just covered with a plastic cap at the moment, I believe. It is definitely one of the eventual intended uses. Same with telephony.

The TasCOLT trial (Tas Govt precursor to the NBN) had FTA channels being delivered via the fibre optic connection.

Not that the ONT needs to specifically support it - both my phone service (NodePhone) and my pay tv (FetchTV) are delivered via my ADSL2+ internet connection. (Internode).
so complicated
Not that complicated.....
The NBN is definately going to change the way we interact with our homes / devices.

The cost of cable at frams stage vs later makes these things worth doing if you plan on being in your house for a while!!
CC101
so complicated

CC101, were you responding specifically to my post (just above yours)? I was replying to pugs, who works in the industry and knows his stuff, so I guess I was being slightly more technical than I would to most.

If you want to post your plans (I had a look through your build thread but couldn't find any) I'm sure someone here can suggest what is best - in easier to understand language!
Chuq
CC101
so complicated

CC101, were you responding specifically to my post (just above yours)? I was replying to pugs, who works in the industry and knows his stuff, so I guess I was being slightly more technical than I would to most.

If you want to post your plans (I had a look through your build thread but couldn't find any) I'm sure someone here can suggest what is best - in easier to understand language!

Thanks for offering but my son came along and he is handling it, this all still makes no sense to me.

He said we are going to have a central location where a router and modem will be housed and then a few cat5e cables will be run to only areas which require high bandwidth throuput (ie the study room and bedrooms where computers with digital media will be and the theatre where the tv will be that will be streaming the media). Everywhere else that requires only internet will be wireless.
CC101

Thanks for offering but my son came along and he is handling it, this all still makes no sense to me.

He said we are going to have a central location where a router and modem will be housed and then a few cat5e cables will be run to only areas which require high bandwidth throuput (ie the study room and bedrooms where computers with digital media will be and the theatre where the tv will be that will be streaming the media). Everywhere else that requires only internet will be wireless.

It sounds like he has it under control :)

Yes, cat5e/6/6a cables to office, each bedroom and AV locations is the main thing. A lot more devices will be using those cables in the future!
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum