Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

how to network two storey house double brick home

Page 2 of 3
melting
My wife wants the stairwell as a wine cellar so I don't really want to run the cabling to there for a server. Or can I just put a switch in the stairwell and run servers etc to a bedroom.

There is no reason for the under stairs area (I assume, rather than stairwell) being your wine cellar, and also where you terminate your cables in a patch panel and have a server. You don't have to run a large box, just a NAS, and that with the switch should not be putting out that much heat. I personally run my switch and server (NAS) in the cupboard I store my wine in, but that is vented on top, and is quite cool in the lower section where the wine is.
I would suggest the garage for your server/patch location then you access the roof above garage (is their one?)to access the cavity to take cables across top storey roof ,drop down conduit to any internal wall or outside cavity for external wall points.
You can then drop down via cavity to feed any points on lower storey not under the slab.
For points on lower level that is under slab conduit will have to be run through to the garage roof section with draw wires.

Have you got elevations and what is the roof material
You could also do a wireless network if you got stuck later.

I have never been a big fan but for general everyday use I am finding there are some merits to this technology after all!
So basically ask for 25mm conduit with draw wire in all the places that I want a network point (on an outside wall I assume). Then I should be able to get a pro to get everything to the garage somehow?

The roof on the garage is flat - I can't remember what it was but it is low.
Melting,

You could ask for that but it is going to look ugly (IMO)

If you have to run a conduit it is better to try and conceal them beside a downpipe or similar as they are not very pretty to look at!

Most houses today are built with all the plumbing inside (internal stacks) as they look a little ugly on the outside.
Matt in WA don't forget we are double brick. so outside wall means between the 2 brick layers in the cavity.

Yes we actually only have one of all our conduits on an external wall. ( in wall cavity) The rest are all on internal single brick walls.

Melting is building a double brick house in WA
lol!

Silly Victorians
Hmmm flat low garage roof changes things. I think conduits from patch panel location to all under slab locations and enough conduits opening up to top level roof space so you can then drop down via external cavity to required spots and via conduits to internal wall locations.
Conduits from patch panel straight through upper slab opening up to lower level roof space on other side of house. Then again drop down via external cavities and conduits on internal walls in that part of the house.
You will also need a conduit from the Telstra incoming point through to patch panel location.

P.s What about TV do you want a structured system going through to same patch panel and be available at point locations as well ,if you do then extra conduits may have to be allowed for.
Lungy
Hmmm flat low garage roof changes things. I think conduits from patch panel location to all under slab locations and enough conduits opening up to top level roof space so you can then drop down via external cavity to required spots and via conduits to internal wall locations.

I think I am out of my depth here. Can't follow the first part. So underslabs location need conduit going to the patch panel - as in up the wall and through the slab to the garage?
Sorry to enter this late so ignore this if already sorted,

Personally i think the Patch Panel should go up stairs in the WIR cavity,

5 x RG6 to roof space, satellite services
3 x Data and 1 x Coax to meter box. Underground services.

This house should be cabled during construction and who ever cables should chase and conduit the slab, no room for error

From the WIR you have plenty room going down cavity into 1st floor roof space,
Look at a cat6 solution, should be much more expensive.
Patch panel should cover both data and coax
Quote:
Personally i think the Patch Panel should go up stairs in the WIR cavity

Patch panel should go in the garage to prepare yourself for NBN, as recommended by this handbook

http://www.commsalliance.com.au/__data/ ... -Jun10.pdf

Review sections 6,17 & 13

I contacted NBN Co. and asked them where I should put my patch panel during the build, and they pointed me to the reference above.
Barrywalters
Sorry to enter this late so ignore this if already sorted,

Personally i think the Patch Panel should go up stairs in the WIR cavity,

5 x RG6 to roof space, satellite services
3 x Data and 1 x Coax to meter box. Underground services.

This house should be cabled during construction and who ever cables should chase and conduit the slab, no room for error

From the WIR you have plenty room going down cavity into 1st floor roof space,
Look at a cat6 solution, should be much more expensive.
Patch panel should cover both data and coax

NBN will require up to 5 x Cat6 one for pstn and 4 for isp services and a power feeder cable for the back up battery and also no coax..

and bare minimum sized conduit i woudl get installed would be 32mm with 50mm/ 100mm conduits going to the top floor
depends on if his builder will allow, PUGS. Mine wouldn't. I wasn't allowed anything more than the bare minimum size that my cabler suggested. 25mm So that was all he had to work with. Hopefully it's changed and/or his builder is different.
The extra data would be a good idea as suggested by Pugs. Didn’t think 5 were needed but pugs works with this stuff every day.
I wouldn’t dismiss the coax at this point being that there are many suburbs in Perth that have underground Foxtel and TV services requiring coax. Again cant hurt. Building covenant comes into play with what goes on the roof. i.e. Antenna and sat dish.

The comm’s alliance handbook is great that Zeitgeber got is great, if the panel has to go in the garage then the problem with the roof comes back into play, should try to cable during construction.

Also the builder does get involved on what size conduit you use in WA, brick construction and all. I’m sure pugs could elaborate on this subject.
kexkez
depends on if his builder will allow, PUGS. Mine wouldn't. I wasn't allowed anything more than the bare minimum size that my cabler suggested. 25mm So that was all he had to work with. Hopefully it's changed and/or his builder is different.

think you missed the I part.. If I was building a double brick/ two story house I would put in 32mm flexi conduit to all locations and 50mm/ 100mm "Riser" conduits between the floors.
Some builders don’t like 32mm pugs, because of potential plaster cracking down the track, rightly or wrongly it is was it is. Some builders dont want any larger than 20mm
bugger.. oh well just aswell we don't have double brick here in SA
Yup Barry That was the case here in WA for us. 25mm was the biggest size they'd go to.
zeitgeber
Quote:
Personally i think the Patch Panel should go up stairs in the WIR cavity

Patch panel should go in the garage to prepare yourself for NBN, as recommended by this handbook

http://www.commsalliance.com.au/__data/ ... -Jun10.pdf

Review sections 6,17 & 13

I contacted NBN Co. and asked them where I should put my patch panel during the build, and they pointed me to the reference above.

hahaha, pugs its a good thing i think. but Perths a better place to live

Must be going crazy, cant find any reference to the smartwire panel should going in the garage? anyone can help me out?
We're also in the situation of building our first double storey house.

When we built our past house, it was easy having conduits put in. They went straight into the ceiling for the cabler to come in at a later date and do his thing.

With a double storey, this doesn't work quite so well. Having a conduit in the wall is one thing, but how does one gain access to the end of the conduit, which will end in the second storey slab.

I've asked my builder who wasn't overly helpful. Basically if I have Room A and Room B downstairs, and room C and D upstairs - how do I run cable from A-B??
Related
28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

23/04/2024
Two storey house construction cost

Building A New House

The price you're seeing for a high-spec 2-storey home in Perth sounds steep, but unfortunately, it's kind of the norm these…

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum