Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home Theatre Equipment suggestions

Page 1 of 2
Hi there,

We are just starting to look at a Home Theatre setup and while we are both pretty clueless on all this stuff, I have been doing a bit of research. First of all, our HT is 5.5x4 in size. We plan to install a projector and use the 4m wall to mount a fixed screen. Also, we are having cabling done for 2 rear speakers and 2 side speakers in the ceiling & projector cabling (designed for comosite, component & HDMI video via a Cat6 Balun). So from reading this forum and other sources it seems we are going for a 7.1 Audio system.

Already, we have liked the Epson TW5500 as the projector, as for speakers & Amp, haven't really looked at what's out there.

We've already chatted with a Hi-Fi store and they have quoted us for the following:

- Epson TW5500 ($4500)
- 100 Inch dynamic screen ($1299?!)
- Denon Receiver 2310 ($1899)
- PSB Floor standing speakers pack ($2696)
- B & W Ceiling Speakers x 4 ($400each)

Total quote is about $13K including installation, HDMI install, mounts and set top box.

So much question I guess is whether this seems reasonable? The screen looks pretty pricey to me...Also, have no idea about speakers, the guy mentioned Bose speakers too but from what i read they don't seem to popular? is there any other speakers that you would recommend? and how about the receiver? And anything else we should know about the HT setup? We would most likely like our budget to be about 10-12K...

Thankyou!!
Hi Ace82,
I am looking around for HT system myself and have been doing a few research.I plan on buying paradigm monitor 11 v5 speakers($2450) or JBL ES800($2530) speakers with Marantz receiver Sr4003($790).I found an online site very helpful in terms of prices and products.You can have a look yourself and see if this helps.

www.digitalcentre.com.au
let me know if that helps.

cheers,
Dr Shenai
Hi Dr Shenai,

Thankyou for the website, the Projector is much cheaper on there from what I got quoted

I'll check out the speakers you mentioned!
I have read on this forum the paradigm speakers are meant to be good
Hi guys, everyone.

I've said this a few times before and I will again with some added reinforcement from Qualifi (Australia's importer and distributor of all Marantz, Jamo, and a few other brands of quality a audio and video products): Please be aware that many online sellers of items like this that offer them cheap (cheaper than the shops) do so because they 'grey-market' import them directly from overseas instead of being supplied by the official supplier here in Australia, and there are differences in what you get.

From Qualifi's web site:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
QualiFi strongly advises EXTREME CAUTION regarding the purchase of Marantz from an unauthorised source.

Enjoy peace of mind when purchasing from an authorised Marantz reseller, as purchasing from an unauthorised reseller means you may miss out on:

Australian Warranty
The supply of the correct spare parts
Firmware and Software updates, if needed
Ongoing service backup
Product specifications / features such as:
- correct voltage
- correct AM radio steps
- correct BD/DVD region-coding

Approved product in Australia can be best identified by the C-Tick mark and number appearing on the rear panel of all our products, see below.

(Edit - Rodda: picture could not be pasted here...)

To confirm whether a Reseller you are considering purchasing from is an Authorised Marantz Reseller, please contact QualiFi P/L on (03) 8542 1111 or sales@qualifi.com.au
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This 'grey-marketing' importing happens a lot with projectors, but also with many other types of items in this audio/video space...
Thanks for the warning Rod.Will email these guys and check if that shop is authorised dealer.
This is what Digital centre has on their website "All products available through our website and retail store are bought directly from authorised suppliers of the relevant brands in Australia. We do not import brands/products from overseas and everything we sell has an Australian warranty attached to it by the manufacturer"

I have emailed Qualifi for cross checking this information.
Just wanted to point out that as far as I am aware Digital Centre is not an authorised reseller of Paradigm speakers in Australia and so they will not come with any warranty. I remember contacting them 12 months ago about some monitor speakers and all they wanted to do was switch me to something else....I get the feeling they are just advertising them cheap to get the hits and then try and sell you something they actually have. Be very careful in your dealings with Digital Centre.

I also checked the website for the distributor of Paradigm (http://www.audioactive.net.au) and I found no mention of Digital Centre there but to play it safe I would recommend you contact the distributor and check. They may well be but I cannot find any proof of it.

Now having said that I would highly recommend Paradigm speakers as they are absolutely fantastic - I have the Monitor 11's along with the CC290 centre and the ADP190 surrounds and they are just amazing!
Hey there,

Just wanted to ask - is there any reason why you specifically wanted a projector?
For 4K I'm sure you could get a 60-65 inch plasma?

Also, my advice for HT rooms is to set aside budget for cabling!
High quality cabling (read: professional, not jb-hifi "monster" cables.. lol), surge protectors, flush wall mounts is well worth the investment
can you consider different brand such as BenQ or Mitsubishi, they are really good as well. Epson for that price is a little too expensive. ive got BenQ myself and i just love it.

The Denon 2310 is good as well, mine is the old one 1910 and still working fine.

Good Luck with your HT room...

PS : dont forget to add NAS next to the router so you can watch The Simpsons everywhere in the house

- A
Hi Guys,
I got a good deal from HN for my speakers and receivers.I took Rod's advice and didnt buy it from DC as they want you to pay all the money upfront and then you need to wait for a while till they get the stock,and the time as per other online customers is between 2-3 months.
I am getting a Marantz slim line 1501 fro around $1000,which is a good bargain and also the JBL ES800 cinepack for around $2400,which is again an awesome bargain as compared to DC.
HN has taken over clivepeeters.So you might be lucky to grab some deals there as well.

Can anyone tell me if Marantz receiver go well with JBL or should I stick to denon?
Both Marantz and Denon are excellent, as are JBL, and either combination will be a good one.
Hi All, Thankyou for all the replies!! gave us a lot to think about
Anyone have suggestions on a good screen that won't cost $1300?! just seems steep to me....
If it's a fixed screen just get one of the deluxe ones from Selby Acoustics - they are excellent value (and a lot less than $1000)...
Thanks Rod.Your help is much appreciated.
Hey guys.. I've got a question

Planning to buy a onkyo tx-sr308 and match it to my 40" Samsung M8 LCD..
I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 speaker setup and I have sort of specific requirements:
* Front 2 speakers are to be floorstanding, minimum 5" woofers (none of those pencil thin jobbies)
* Subby needs to be 10" minimum and be auto power on/off (signal detect)

I've seen these in JB and I'm fairly impressed.. (although I'm unsure about the subby auto power/off)
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home- ... sku-50900/

Is this the best bang for buck for me, or is there better options for <500$ ?

Focus is on music quality, everything else is 2nd
Hi there CD/RB,

Well, for $500, it looks like a lot of speaker for the money, but there inlies the rub... it is less than $500 for 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. For that sort of coin, I would not be expecting great quality drivers, crossovers, internal bracing or research. The speakers will be lightweight and subject to resonance issues. Even though Class D sub amps have reduced in price dramatically, I just can't see how you would be happy on a 'long term basis' with the musicality of this system. You do mention that music is important to you.

The only advice that I could give you is to pre arrange with a JB store near you to unpack one of these kits, hook it up and take some of your fave music along. Not sure if they will be that benevolent for a speaker package the same price as an upmarket ipod dock but maybe if you find a quiet time for them they may be prepared to help.

Have you checked out bookshelf speakers. They are probably named incorrectly as they should be mounted on stands, but why not look at a set of 5 matched bookshelf style speakers. Brands like Tannoy, Paradigm, JBL etc may not fit into your current budget, but I always think you are better saving for a little longer to get a speaker that you will be happy with long term. I think that these Sherwood speakers would reveal their limitations very early on!

Not trying to be an audio snob. I liken music listening to wine appreciation...not really to be judged on price but rather whether it tastes good to me. Some of my best nights have been with 4 dollar bottles of cleanskins! You may be very happy with the Sherwood speakers, or you may buy them and wish that you had looked at (slightly more expensive) alternatives. Just bear in mind that they are cheap for a reason....

Best of luck

Greg
Thank you Tom, that is some really good advice!

I might need to increase the budget a little.. I can get the 308 amp for $380.. so if I go up to 1K for the speakers, I think I'll hit the mix I'm after..

I didn't mind the sound quality of the JBL Balboa's and they're in that range, as a set.
But I also am beginning to think about getting 4 matched bookshelfs (as you say) and a classy centre, with a reasonable sub setup.

The sherwoods sounded quite good, but I also worry about the quality of the components. $424 was the price, to be exact.. but as I said above, coming up with a little extra means that in the long run it'll suit the needs/wants!

Thanks again!

CDandRB
Hi there CD,

Absolutely no problems at all. You may like to check out this link...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tannoy-Arena-Lit ... 3146wt_930

Auction finishes in a couple of days...they may come in on budget for you.

Best of luck

Greg (father of Tom)
Sanderling37
Just wanted to point out that as far as I am aware Digital Centre is not an authorised reseller of Paradigm speakers in Australia and so they will not come with any warranty. I remember contacting them 12 months ago about some monitor speakers and all they wanted to do was switch me to something else....I get the feeling they are just advertising them cheap to get the hits and then try and sell you something they actually have. Be very careful in your dealings with Digital Centre.

I also checked the website for the distributor of Paradigm (http://www.audioactive.net.au) and I found no mention of Digital Centre there but to play it safe I would recommend you contact the distributor and check. They may well be but I cannot find any proof of it.

Now having said that I would highly recommend Paradigm speakers as they are absolutely fantastic - I have the Monitor 11's along with the CC290 centre and the ADP190 surrounds and they are just amazing!

Why don't you buy from Rodda as he sells Paradigm speakers. I bought some from him 2 weeks ago and I was very happy with his service.
Hey guys, just wanted to post about what I ended up with..

Onkyo 308 amp ($400, new).
Wharfedale SW150 sub, WH2-Centre, WH2 Bipolar Rears and ATS400 floors ($500, ebay as new with manuals).

A wonderful setup, sounds great with Blu-ray, PS3 games, music and standard TV.

I wasn't going to go the ebay route, but got lucky while looking up entertainment units..
Related
10/07/2023
Need suggestions for home improvement

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Looking to add an ensuite to one of the bedrooms and make it a Master BR. Please see the attached current floorplan. Need suggestions on what's the best way to do…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

12/11/2023
Suggestions for acrylic render Color

General Discussion

Suggestions please for acrylic rendering Color to match austral brick urban one pepper. Pic for reference. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum