Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

HT Equipment Advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi Rod & others,

I think I have sorted out what equipment i'm going to use, just asking for your thoughts / ideas ?

Firstly my HT Room is 4.23 x 4.23 (I know a square, but I will deal with that issue later).

Equipment:
Denon AVR-2310
Benq W5000 with 95" or 105" fixed screen
Mission M34 Speakers maybe?

Any comments welcome.
Rob&Kat
Hi Rod & others,

I think I have sorted out what equipment i'm going to use, just asking for your thoughts / ideas ?

Firstly my HT Room is 4.23 x 4.23 (I know a square, but I will deal with that issue later).

Equipment:
Denon AVR-2310

Any comments welcome.

Just a question about your Denon receiver.
You need to seriously consider what features you require out of that receiver. Because you could save yourself a bundle by choosing a run-out Denon model from (say) last year and still get all of the features that you would actually use with the same or similar power output.

Here's an example - to give you an idea of the cost difference, but without me knowing what you really need.
http://apollohifi.com.au/products/DENON_AVR1509_Black_Home_Theatre_Receiver-359-33.html

... just a thought.

If money is no object - then go crazy I say
Hi mate.

All of the brands you've mentioned are good ones, so you can't really go wrong with them (regarding speakers: some people may say 'speaker brand X' is better than Mission, but a statement like that actually has no real weight in reality as there are so many quality speaker manufacturers out there - including Mission - that make so many good speakers - including Mission. My opinion is as long as you go with a good quality, credible speaker brand the rest comes down to taste or appeal more than anything else).

Jila's point re the model of AV Receiver is also valid, so it is something to include in your thought/selection process...
I also agree entirely.

I just purchased a run-out Denon model cheaper than what the model below was selling for on sale at the same time from the same store in Carlton. The discount on the model I bought was around 27% so let your fingers do the typing and hunt out a bargin.

I think Rod may agree with me here, but it's better to sink a bit more of your budget into the sound to give you a greater sound stage which will last you for years to come. Where as projectors, both DLP and LCD will be forever changing in both price and advancements in the years to come. What is great, fantastic and really cool now will be old hat in 12mths time. Well maybe not 12mths, but I think you get the idea.
Rob&Kat
Hi Rod & others,

Equipment:
Denon AVR-2310

Any comments welcome.

erm- just so you know, you can't really 'deal with the room problem later'... it will always be a square room! lol..

In terms of your speakers, don't make a decision until you've listened to a number of similarly priced options. Take a few of your favourite cd's to find what 'sound' you like.

In terms of your projection screen - what is your viewing distance? This will help you determine what size screen you should have.

In terms of your reciever - do you want it to be 'future proof'? If so, you probably want one that has the latest codecs - or at least has HDMI if you have a device (like a ps3) that can do the HD sound encoding internally....
Jila, you are spot on with trying to get a runout model, I have been keeping my eye out for them, but you do need to have an idea of what you want, Then I can compare any bargins I find to make sure the unit has more or better features than what I want. At the moment I'm not settled but I do require the extra zone control.

Rod, I heard these at one of your favourite stores BPP and they sounded great. I have yet to price them independly to see what range they are in.

Thank you all for your help and comments, seems like I have a little more research to do.
Rob&Kat
Jila, you are spot on with trying to get a runout model, I have been keeping my eye out for them, but you do need to have an idea of what you want, Then I can compare any bargins I find to make sure the unit has more or better features than what I want. At the moment I'm not settled but I do require the extra zone control.

Rod, I heard these at one of your favourite stores BPP and they sounded great. I have yet to price them independly to see what range they are in.

Thank you all for your help and comments, seems like I have a little more research to do.

If you require the multi-zone feature for your receiver, that will probably drive you into the higher end models.

Just afew notes of warning on multi-zone, I have a multi-zone Denon (2807) :
- the second zone uses up two of the speaker outputs. This means you can have two zones 5.1 and 2.0, but if you really want 7.1 in the main zone area you may need to check that your multi-zone feature can really support this as well as a second zone on 2.0. I *think* some of the newer receiver do this now.
- the second zone only supports an analogue source input. So, for example, from my DVD player I have a digital out on to the receiver AND an analogue out to the receiver. There are no sync issues if I play both zones at the same time. However, some DVD players may not drive both a digital and an analogue out at the same time.

... just some things to be aware of as things are not always as they seem and you discover this stuff by trial and error.

I'm certain that the sales people at the time would not have been aware of that second limitation.
I think it is a limitation in the processing power of the onboard DSPs (can't decode two digital sources at the same time), so the second zone falls back to analogue ONLY.
Jila,

I'm only puttign 5.1 in the HT as I don't think there is enough room for another set of speakers to make it 7.1, so therefore the other 2 will run out to the Rumpus & Alfresco, used for music.
Rob&Kat
Jila,

I'm only puttign 5.1 in the HT as I don't think there is enough room for another set of speakers to make it 7.1, so therefore the other 2 will run out to the Rumpus & Alfresco, used for music.

in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for the rear or side channels in 7.1 could free you up some space....
Rob&Kat
Jila,

If all this info isn't enough, don't forget when you ask for a demo of your fav CD's, to get them to play them in true stereo. This will expose any weaknesses in the main speakers, such as being to heavy in the bass or having to be driven to hard so you actually hear everything on the CD and at what volumes.

To many store displays use Neo 6 or similar to give your CD a greater sound-stage. It might not be much, but it could make the difference in your desicion.

Happy hunting
Rob&Kat
Jila,

Awesome.
That's the same setup that I have.

If you are at framing stage - you might want to get in and run your speaker cable for all of that. It will save you a world of pain later on.
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

9/05/2023
Retaining wall defects - Advice needed

General Discussion

Hi All, I engaged a tradie to install concrete retaining wall 600-800mm high over 32 meters in Victoria. Sleepers are 200*75*2000 mm installed over 17 steel posts. I…

19/05/2023
Finishing standards - advice needed

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Don't think they are designed for double brick. WA has a particular way of building and unfortunately that's the way a large amount of sills are finished.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum