Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

New Plasma\LCD television recommendation

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a new television – a LCD or a Plasma atleast bigger than 32" . I have a limited budget of around 1200-1500$$ to spend on this. Can you guys plz recommend me something . Feature wise i need it to be a digital Full HDTV obviously,good video quality and avg to good audio , some AV ports , S video port , HDMI port and i guess that should be all.

Any current offers that anyone is aware of ??

Cheers!!

Thanks a ton in advance.
Cant help you with current models, have a look at JB for cost and features.

This website is quite good if your wanting to compare plasma or LCD tvs

http://www.lcdorplasma.com.au
Samsung series 6 LCD or greater I suggest.
can your eyes detect the diff between 768 and 1080?

if not then a HD (not full HD) could mean you get a 42" instead of a 32".

Been considering Samsung series 4 for normal TV shows - while the full HD projector will be sport and dvd/blu-ray.
I would have said get a 42" Plasma, until I read the requirement of "FullHD".

Like Serge said...
We went looking at TV's last night and while we thought we knew a bit about them we got a bit shocked when we found out how much good cabling costs , to get the mid level monster cable and optic fibre we are looking at about $400 !, it's something to keep in mind because it adds a fair bit.
Also the guy let us hear the sound from ONLY the TV playing a movie and the sound was shocking which means you really need other speakers, we were going to buy 2 TV's but we might just have to make the 2nd room into a relaxation/meditation room with nothing in it!
serge44
can your eyes detect the diff between 768 and 1080?

Once you get more than a metre or so back from the screen - which is pretty close - than on anything less than a 50" no your eyes cannot resolve the difference in resolution between 768 and 1080.

It may well be that the 1080 set is a better television than the 768, but if it has a better picture it is not because of the resolution.

A good 768 set beats a bad 1080 set.

vid
We went looking at TV's last night and while we thought we knew a bit about them we got a bit shocked when we found out how much good cabling costs , to get the mid level monster cable and optic fibre we are looking at about $400 !

Danger danger Will Robinson!

Monster Cable products are horrendously overpriced. A decent 1.5m to 2m optical cable for example shouldn't set you back any more than, oh, twenty bucks.

There's nothing physically wrong with Monster, their cables are well constructed. But you can buy other cables that are equally well constructed, or better, for a fraction of the price. So no matter what the salemans says do not get sucked into buying their overpriced Monster products.
Thudd
Danger danger Will Robinson!

Monster Cable products are horrendously overpriced. A decent 1.5m to 2m optical cable for example shouldn't set you back any more than, oh, twenty bucks.

There's nothing physically wrong with Monster, their cables are well constructed. But you can buy other cables that are equally well constructed, or better, for a fraction of the price. So no matter what the salemans says do not get sucked into buying their overpriced Monster products.

DITTO - DOUBLE DITTO! This technique of the sales guys trying to sell you expensive interconnect cables is purely for their gain and has nothing to do with what you need to enjoy your new TV properly. You don't need to spend anywhere near what they are suggesting to get a good/great quality result - they are simply trying to make up for the small margin they sell the TVs at (as the expensive cables have big margins, and a big margin of an already big price = $$ for them...).

Like said many times in this section of the Forum, there are much cheaper alternatives for quality cables...
We have recently been in the same situation.
Ditto on the Monster Cable, there are high quality HDMI alternatives at a better price.
You didnt mention if you wanted to play Playstation/Wii or other console games, this was a big factor for us, as I understand LCD is the best option for these as Plasma still have some burn-in problems.
We checked the usual suppliers - JB-Hi Fi, Good Guys, Harvey Norman, but ended up getting the best deal from Myer/Grace Brothers.
Just for reference we picked up an 42" LG LCD 100Hz for $1450. (because the kids will play games on it)
I've been considering a 42" Samsung series IV from Joycey for under $1300 - but missed the special when they were down to <$1000.
Hills Guy
We have recently been in the same situation.
Ditto on the Monster Cable, there are high quality HDMI alternatives at a better price.
You didnt mention if you wanted to play Playstation/Wii or other console games, this was a big factor for us, as I understand LCD is the best option for these as Plasma still have some burn-in problems.
We checked the usual suppliers - JB-Hi Fi, Good Guys, Harvey Norman, but ended up getting the best deal from Myer/Grace Brothers.
Just for reference we picked up an 42" LG LCD 100Hz for $1450. (because the kids will play games on it)

My boys have a PS2 and a Xbox360 and they will be connected to one of the TV's and hidden in the entertainment unit, I'm not interested in the consoles at all but the kids like them, so if the LCD/LED is better I guess that is good.
Burn-in is not an issue with modern plasmas.

The Samsung B850 plasmas are a pretty good deal at the moment, much better value than their 'LED-LCD' sets. B650 is even better value if you're running in a darkish room and image quality isn't critical (such as if majority of use being for console gaming)
Thudd
Burn-in is not an issue with modern plasmas.

Small correction - Burn-in is not AS BIG an issue with modern plasmas.
You will still get burn-in.
If you are looking for an LCD, then Samsung are about the best there is (Sony are very close but lack some of the nice feratures), However if you are after a plasma there are better brands.
I’m TV window shopping at the moment and the information I’m getting from speaking to people who sell TVs and install them, there are three recommended brands Samsung, Sony (over priced) and Pioneer (which I believe make the best quality TV and they even install it for you). It also comes down to your budget and what you need it for (movies or sport or gaming) and size of your room also plays a role in choosing the size.
I did some research last year and found the two best were Pioneer and panasonic. We ended up getting a pioneer they are very expensive but very good - however due to the expense I believe they now use Panasonic screens. My BIL has panasonic not much different.

Two websites I have come across the first has all the cheapest prices that people have found

http://hdtvprices.pbworks.com/

the second the virtues of different views

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?show ... 71&st=6260

Hope this helps!

Lisa
Related
6/11/2023
Project Manager Recommendation

Owner Builder Forum

If you need to pay for a project manager you would be well advised to just engage a builder who would take full responsibility for the build. As opposed to you OB where…

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

24/06/2023
Recommendation for Assistance on lodging objection

General Discussion

Hi, Appreciate any recommendations for town planners or advisors who can help assist to assess and draft an objection to a neighbour’s development in Northern Beaches.…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum