Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Surround sound speaker placement for lounge room 5.7m x 3.3m

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I have my electrical appointment for house build this Friday and am having trouble deciding how I want to layout my rear speakers in the lounge room so I can get 7.1 surround. The room is lounge room first, home theatre second so the couch will basically be butt up against the back wall.
See layout

Possible options I have thought about:
Option A. Have speaker wall plate behind couch and have side speakers on stands and rear speaker behind couch facing upwards. This would obviously be the cheapest and I can move the side speakers 90` to the couch. But having a 2 year old it's not much fun plugging the speakers in every time the cables get ripped out.
Option B. Have side speakers on hinges or in the walls in the back corners. Have the rears speakers in the roof. Just worried the side speakers may be a little too close to the couch and will annoy someone sitting in the corner.
Option C. Stick all 4 rear speakers in the roof

Any thoughts?

I am also planning on putting 2 roof speakers in the alfresco. Is it common practice to get the electrician to supply and install the speakers during the build or just lay the cables and leave cable hanging out the wall or install a speaker wall plate.
The girl we have our colour appointment with also does the electrical plan so I'm thinking my options may be limited.
What about In-ceiling speakers for all 4 of the surrounds?
OK. So have speakers in the roof layed out something like this.

|---------
| ....O
|O
|
|
|O
| ....O

One problem may be that the kids rooms are right above the lounge so wondering if this is going to add excessive noise upstairs
micks_k
OK. So have speakers in the roof layed out something like this.

|---------
| ....O
|O
|
|
|O
| ....O

Exactly.

micks_k
One problem may be that the kids rooms are right above the lounge so wondering if this is going to add excessive noise upstairs

It will a bit, albeit only when you are watching something that actually uses these speakers, which is not quite as often as you may think, or as loud...
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

5/01/2024
Pool surround gardening

Landscape & Garden Design

Looking for some advice on pool surround planting. We have roughly 500mm wide garden bed around the edge of our pool. Depth of the bed is only around 250-300mm to top…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum