Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

WD - TV

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, Just wanting to know if anyone has the new western digital tv hd player? Or knows anything about them? http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products ... anguage=en
You can store your HD content on a USB drive. Plug the drive into the WD TV and play HD movies, digital music and photos on your TV.
Supports these formats-

Music - MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA

Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS

Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle -SRT (UTF-8), SMI, SUB, ***, SSA

Just wondering if it is worth the $199.00 it is going for at the moment, sounds like a fair price to me, any thoughts?
I've heard good things about these devices ..basically they are another option to the Popcorn hour machine market heck of alot cheaper and you have local warrenty
A mate of mine owns one and he's very happy with the unit. I didn't buy one purely because it doesn't have a LAN connection, at the moment I'm streaming to multiple units via LAN.
one option is to go and buy USB to ethernet extenders and then just plug it in either end...
that is if you have a wired up house to start with

I'm failry sure this will work or ther ewill be a "work around" for this
Yeah i looked at the popcorn hour ones and this is a lot cheaper and imo looks a lot nicer and will match all my gloss black HT gear, except for my ugly silver speakers.
Love my Popcorn Hour, hasn't skipped a beat since I got it

I considered the WD but the Popcorn won due to it's ability to be networked. And the fact that the HDD is enclosed in the unit - yes, it does mean I have to unplug it from the television and move it to my PC when I want to add new video, but at my new house I hope to stream my media off a NAS box. So, was Popcorn for me!

The Mediagate MG-350HD is a good little unit too but lacks support for .mkv files.
lack of 'real' support...

lack of firmware updates.

only outputs in composite and HDMI ... (what if you havent got these inputs free?)

lack of MKV support

No Ethernet

NO HDD....

I know its cheap ... the above are all the reasons for that!

I get to speak on average to 1 person a day (sometimes 2 to 3) and 50% seem happy.

For me it is the DVico Tvix range or the Popcornhour... this unit is just pretending IMO...
mattwalker
lack of 'real' support...

lack of firmware updates.
well the latest firmware rocks.....and does everything it should....so no complaints here

only outputs in composite and HDMI ... (what if you havent got these inputs free?)
also true but if you do have hdmi or composite it rocks....
lack of MKV support
Not true at all...it plays mkv beautifullly...

No Ethernet
true....so price to pay

NO HDD....
for $199 you can't expect a HDD too?
I know its cheap ... the above are all the reasons for that!

I get to speak on average to 1 person a day (sometimes 2 to 3) and 50% seem happy.

For me it is the DVico Tvix range or the Popcornhour... this unit is just pretending IMO...

I bought this for my kids basically...i have all their videos on a harddrive and when we go on holidays or chilling at home in their play room thats all they need....

as for me...mythtv rocks
Related
You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum