Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Generic data/coax cabling - Not using starserv etc

Page 1 of 1
Found this forum after doing a lot of googling on the starserv and lexcom products and meant to sign up yesterday to ask my question but ended up getting side tracked reading lots of threads on the forum, great place!

I'm about to start building, got a few quotes and just trying to finalise as much as possible so there's less variations later. The prefered method seems to be leaving cabling out for now and discussing it with the electrician later on (or my own preferred contractor) at the appropriate stage and doing it then.

Originally I'd looked at the starserve and thought yep, great that will do the job but now I'm not so sure. I have looked at the lexcom as well but both seem overkill for me, dont want video/ir distribution.

What I want is a centrally distributed (from the garage) network of CAT5e, Coax CableTV (Foxtel) and telephone. In my head I've got it all worked out but getting to the reality is the hard part!

From the street I want the phone and Foxtel cables feeding into this central cabinet in the garage. From there, I'd like a foxtel point in the cabinet for my bigpond modem and then 2-3 points elsewhere in the house (probably never use them but who knows). Also a phone point in the cabinet for future ADSL modem if required and then a couple points elsewhere in the house. An ADSL central splitter would probably be best used?

On top of that, you'd have the CAT5 data network with 10-12 points connected to a patch panel in the garage cabinet. Ideally, I'd want the modem and switch to be located within the cabinet, but may not fit so a shelf above or nearby would suffice.

What have others done? Finding a cabinet to fit between the frame and sit flush in the wall shouldn't be too hard, nor the cabling or suitable patch panel. But how do I do the phone/foxtel distribution? Are there any other products on the market that just make it easier?

Or even still, anyone based in Melbourne's eastern suburbs prepared (and licenced) to do the job?
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum