Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New Build with Omnia Homes

Page 3 of 3
kuc
Im soo happy to hear that you are finally there
Last year with all the lockdowns and COVID restrictions, delays were probably expected
I hope you enjoy your new home with your loveones

Thank you so much Kuc

Yes, we are setting up the house bit by bit and it feels surreal to finally have our own house.

Yes, I would say that some delays would have been due to covid, and also because of busy schedule of trades due to sudden increase in new constructions of houses.Omnia asked for extension of time only during the two weeks of complete construction shutdown that was imposed in VIC last month.
sid16
Rivers76
Hi guys,

I am currently building our home in Rockbank with Omnia Homes.

Was wondering if anyone who had built with them or is building with them, were you provided with your site supervisors contact details during the build or were you only given access to a Building Co Ordinator in their offices??

I'd also like to hear of your experiences with the building process.

Thanks 😃

Hi Rivers76,

I'd be great to get some updates on how did your build go.
How much time did it take to complete and how was your experience?
Also, how was the after care support after the build?
sid16
yup, I think they will rectify this.
I have written to them, and have got a response from the construction coordinator that she will discuss this with the site supervisor and respond back by the end of this week. Hoping to get a response by tomorrow as it is already Thursday today.

Maybe these things are normal with builds, and I am just freaking out.
But this is my first build and every small thing stresses me, as I have heard/read a lot of stories about how builds can go wrong (in general, regarding other builders work).

Regarding delays, I've been told that sometimes it is the contractor/tradie who did not start work on time, some times the materials get delivered late.
From site cut to handover, it should ideally taken 8 months at max, and we have already completed 7 months.

The only time I can think of Covid-19 being a reason of delay was when we applied for building approval. Our site started in October end, and since then there has been no halts to construction in Melbourne (to my knowledge), not even during lockdowns.

Two-storey houses around ours, that started building around the same time are nearing completion or have completed with families living in them. A couple of single-storey houses that started 2 months after ours have also completed.

One of the respondents on this thread got their house handed over in 5 months by Omnia. I also came across another Omnia's customer (coincidentally) who's house was handed over 2 months past the contractual date, so I'm not sure what is causing these delays now. When I asked about this during signing contract, I was told that it was because of a site supervisor that no longer works with Omnia now, had stopped working for 2 months due to some personal reasons. Thus all the houses that supervisor was managing were delayed by 2 months.

In hindsight, I have doubts about if that was the only reason, as it is hard to digest that a builder would let projects sit for months because the site supervisor was unavailable. It was also mentioned to me that customer was at fault, being an interstate customer, had some "communication gaps". When I spoke with the customer, he had a different story to tell. God knows the truth.

All I know is time is money, the earlier they can complete a build, the sooner they can move to the next one. Given the current market, I am sure they have no shortage of work.

We are having the same issues with them nit picking up our phone or replying email. We've already passed the date of handover
[quote="Rivers76"]Hi guys,

I originally started the building process with Omnia Homes in June 2019... slab was poured in June 2020 and we just moved into our house 3 weeks ago! 3 months past the contact date! A massive list of items that still need to be rectified but we needed to move in. Been trying to get in contact with building co ordinator and the owner and they either don't answer the phone or just give empty promises when they do. The whole build has been stressful and I feel like I've been pushing them all the way. It got to a point when 8 weeks had passed and they didn't even know what the site supervisor had been doing as nothing got done in that time frame. They now owe me money for going over the contract date which is probably why they're not answering the phone. I can't wait to be done with them to tell you the truth.[/quote

Hi just wondering if they've back pay you due to handover going over contract date
Hi
Here some of the highlights of our experience with Omnia:

Two years of HELL with 120 non-compliant building items out of which 48 items are major non-compliance.

We approached Omnia with an already titled land ready to go. It has taken Omnia more than 2 years to come up with a poorly built 20 square house. We are disgusted with this company. Our building nightmare can be expressed by extreme incompetence and lack of professionalism, poor workmanship, lack of care at every stage, lack of communication, unanswered emails and calls, ill will, cold and unfriendly owner and supervisor. The supervision of the building process was almost non-existent.

There were dozens of major non-compliance issues at each stage, including crippling plumbing problems, major faults in internal beams, pad footings, bowing in concrete floor, non-level flooring across the entire slab, multiple types of non-compliance throughout the entire brickwork and poor-quality workmanship and significant defects identified by the inspectors throughout the building process. Due to major plumbing problems identified during the post lock up stage, they broke the slab and dug a large hole in the main bedroom and left it unattended for 4 months.

The entire slab was out of level with major deviations, sections of tiles were broken and extra concrete poured and tiled again. The incompetence was such that this was repeated twice in both the living room and the main bedroom. The lack of care at every stage were shocking. The garage is so out of level that when the door closes there is a 4 cm gap on the left side.

Like you, due to delays they had been paying us liquidated damages for several months.

The non-compliant building work list huge but here are a few examples:
Bowed and out of level brick walls, huge mortar thickness variations (up to 500%) at every elevation, unsupported brick overhang, damage to brickwork finish throughout, voids, holes, chipped and damaged bricks thru the entire house, blocked weepholes, mortar stains, bed joints out of level and with inconsistent thickness throughout, misaligned bricks on either side of articulation joints, brick alignment considerably exceeds maximum tolerance in numerous locations exceeding maximum tolerances and inconsistencies are visible on all elevations of the dwelling. There are also numerous sections of off-plane staggered bricks. Sections of the brick walls were knocked down to straighten the bowing and deflections, but this made it much worse, creating new problems.

Good luck to you.
Update... so we moved in the house in June 2021... over a year ago. My list of maintenance items from move in date as well as things that have happened in the last 12 months are still waiting to be repaired. I did get my settlement payment for the extra build time, but only received this a couple of months ago. I'm so over dealing with them... I've got an upstairs toilet that blocks at least once a week but I'm not holding my breath on them fixing it.
I built with Omnia homes
Very disappointed with the way they handle new material on site , window are leaning against wall diagonally all sealing strips fallen down , glass broken, very bad communication,
You can’t ask questions, they will never respond
Their drawings does not match with the actual built . What else I can say .
Rivers76
Update... so we moved in the house in June 2021... over a year ago. My list of maintenance items from move in date as well as things that have happened in the last 12 months are still waiting to be repaired. I did get my settlement payment for the extra build time, but only received this a couple of months ago. I'm so over dealing with them... I've got an upstairs toilet that blocks at least once a week but I'm not holding my breath on them fixing it.

Hi Rivers , did they attended your maintenance list and specially toilet.
Sumeeth
I built with Omnia homes
Very disappointed with the way they handle new material on site , window are leaning against wall diagonally all sealing strips fallen down , glass broken, very bad communication,

I wrote a detailed negative review for Omnia (see my review entitled “building nightmare” for the shockingly poor quality , disgusting attitude, 2 years build time, hundreds of noncompliance items. We took Tela to building tribunal he did not even bother to turn up to the official resolution meeting, now the case is being escalated to VBA. These people are the worst case scenario in customer service and they should be prosecuted and their license should be taken away. I suggest people should do the same and take these guys to building tribunal.
akay
Sumeeth
I built with Omnia homes

I wrote a detailed negative review for Omnia (see my review entitled “building nightmare” for the shockingly poor quality , disgusting attitude, 2 years build time, hundreds of noncompliance items. We took Tela to building tribunal he did not even bother to turn up to the official resolution meeting, now the case is being escalated to VBA. These people are the worst case scenario in customer service and they should be prosecuted and their license should be taken away. I suggest people should do the same and take these guys to building tribunal.

Hi Akay
Thanks for letting me know, and showing way forward.
For what it's worth. I just moved into my home & found them overall good. We had an independent go through the home too. They found items but Omnia did fix them before handover. We built a 45 square double in Mambourin in just over 8.5 months. Not as quick as I would have liked to be honest but overall I'll take it.
Terry33
Hello,
I'm sure you will be fine, I found they actually really care about the customer not only during the build but even afterwards.
Happy to send you some photos of my place - if you can give me an email and I'll send them.

I had the same feeling Tez throughout the build.
akay
Sumeeth
I built with Omnia homes

What country is Tela from?
Mb215i
akay
Sumeeth
I built with Omnia homes

I believe he is from Albania.
akay
Mb215i
akay

I believe he is from Albania.

We're did you build house?
How did you end up finishing with them?
Related
10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/04/2024
Build experience - Trend Connection Homes

Building A New House

How has your experience been like so far?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum