Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ending a builder contract before the construction

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone, Can someone please help me to clarify the below question.

I have signed a contract with a builder( HIA contract) in 2018. I have lost my job recently and I want to withdraw it. Can I get the deposit that I paid? I have paid a 15K deposit.
Your help highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What does your contract say about rescinding the contract?
Hi there, It doesn't specifically say anything. But it says I get cooling off period of 7 days before I finalize the contract. It has been 2 years already so that doesn't count anymore. I was thinking if there is a scenario that they would refund based on compassionate reasoning.
2 years since Contract and no construction!! Wow, didn't know you could do that. Anyways, there is no exit clause for customers in HIA contracts. If you end the contract, you would need to pay the builder any costs incurred so far or a percentage(as mentioned on the contract). From memory this is about 15-20% of the contract price. You can approach the builder and see if this can be ended more cordially with minimal losses to both parties.
Also, consider taking advice from a legal practitioner if that increases your chances of lower losses.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, that makes sense. Thing is, it got almost 2 years to get the land titled.
Related
3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum