Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bedroom size

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

Something that's really bothering me is the bedroom size of rooms 2 and 3, unfortunately after signing the preliminary works agreement the builder has now told me they had to reduce the rooms to 2.8x3.6 due to not meeting the r code so I have lost half a metre!

Now I'm wondering if the rooms are too small to comfortably have a queen bed and side tables? My aim is to rent two rooms out and keep one as a guest room.

Please tell me the room sizes are reasonable and I am being silly.

I'll also note bedroom 3 has lost that nook in the corner that was there for some reason
Bedroom 3 would take a double bed and 2 bedside tables if located on the wall shown on your floorplan. A QS bed (2030x1525) would be too large.

Also Bedroom 3 would not have sufficient space for a chest of drawers on the opposite wall to the bed, it would be far too tight to allow a person to comfortably walk around the bed.

The other bedroom has a better configuration.
[quote="Bebbsy":1gcxfekj]Bedroom 3 would take a double bed and 2 bedside tables if located on the wall shown on your floorplan. A QS bed (2030x1525) would be too large.

Also Bedroom 3 would not have sufficient space for a chest of drawers on the opposite wall to the bed, it would be far too tight to allow a person to comfortably walk around the bed.

The other bedroom has a better configuration.[/quote:1gcxfekj]

In fairness it already has a wardrobe I wouldn't think it would need a tallboy.
Tallboys have a different purpose to hanging wardrobes in that they have drawers as well as a surface area for storage and display of personal items. (One of my sons has a large screen tv sitting on his.)

If you are serious about renting these rooms out I would have thought a tenant would need this additional storage. Even a desk may be required for students.

But you obviously know the market you’re targeting.
Bebbsy
Tallboys have a different purpose to hanging wardrobes in that they have drawers as well as a surface area for storage and display of personal items. (One of my sons has a large screen tv sitting on his.)

If you are serious about renting these rooms out I would have thought a tenant would need this additional storage. Even a desk may be required for students.

But you obviously know the market you’re targeting.

Something to definitely consider, thank you!

I may ask if I can change the design to three bedroom and add a study or something because my block doesn't get titled til October and I'm pretty annoyed they didn't go through drafting before approving the design at the pwa
You're going to be somewhat limited with furniture, that's for sure.
A consultant I spoke to once said that all bedrooms should have at least 3;s.
Meaning that 3m or 3.3 say, is the shortest wall.. We did 3.8 x 3.8 for our smallest.
Now that we're almost done, I'm glad we did and would not really want any smaller.
As your drawing doesn't look to scale, it's hard to gain an idea of size.
In your Bed 2 for example, those side tables will probably end up jammed in between a bed and wall.

That being said though, don't hold your house up over a bedroom.
Can you pinch space from a hallway or lounge etc?
Blacktea2sugars
You're going to be somewhat limited with furniture, that's for sure.
A consultant I spoke to once said that all bedrooms should have at least 3;s.
Meaning that 3m or 3.3 say, is the shortest wall.. We did 3.8 x 3.8 for our smallest.
Now that we're almost done, I'm glad we did and would not really want any smaller.
As your drawing doesn't look to scale, it's hard to gain an idea of size.
In your Bed 2 for example, those side tables will probably end up jammed in between a bed and wall.

That being said though, don't hold your house up over a bedroom.
Can you pinch space from a hallway or lounge etc?

It's really bothering me and I completely agree with you! I think i might just come back and say to the builder I want to cut a bedroom out and make two reasonable sized rooms, make the bathroom slightly bigger and have a study or something because i want to build this once and build it right, i want to live in this home for a while and have it somewhat future proof and in my opinion they owe it to me to fix up the design or give me my deposit back after signing off on a house design that hadn't been checked.
Also worth remembering that allowing for the wardrobe (usually 700mm depth) the usable floorspace of bedroom 3 will actually be 2800 x 2700. So very small.

I suggest you look at the rooms of the house you are currently living in, what furniture is in that space and then consider what your needs are for your new place. Compare your current room dimensions with those on your floorplan. It will help you to visualise those new spaces and determine if each room will be large enough.
Just an idea. If you are allowed to change the plan at all, if you make a couple of small alterations to the robes in Bed 2 and Bed 4, you can create a whole heap of extra room.
Related
22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum