Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Carlisle Crompton 29

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I’m looking into building the Crompton 29 from Carlisle with the master extension
here is the floor plan

I am thinking of maybe adding a powder room
And this is the best arrangement I have come up with

Problem is that the master would end up being 4.2m wide with the addition of this pwdr room and the entry corridor would be narrower too as shown on the image

This would primarily be an investment property, but I understand that the size of a master is very important

Can you All please advise whether it’s recommended to add another pwdr room or should I just retain the current design

Which would give better returns and improve the floor plan the most?
ARGUS
Hi everyone

I’m looking into building the Crompton 29 from Carlisle with the master extension
here is the floor plan

I am thinking of maybe adding a powder room
And this is the best arrangement I have come up with

Problem is that the master would end up being 4.2m wide with the addition of this pwdr room and the entry corridor would be narrower too as shown on the image

This would primarily be an investment property, but I understand that the size of a master is very important

Can you All please advise whether it’s recommended to add another pwdr room or should I just retain the current design

Which would give better returns and improve the floor plan the most?

Powder with a sliding door is a very smart idea given it still leaves very generous sized Maaterbed as long as you have 1.3m corridor it wouldn't be too narrow (in fact reduces wasted space elsewhere - we have 1200mm corridor due to a study nook in Lounge where your bedroom is-still looks very wide)
MBX3
]

Powder with a sliding door is a very smart idea given it still leaves very generous sized Maaterbed as long as you have 1.3m corridor it wouldn't be too narrow (in fact reduces wasted space elsewhere - we have 1200mm corridor due to a study nook in Lounge where your bedroom is-still looks very wide)

Would you say a master of 4.2 x 3.88 is sufficient?

May I ask what design did you build and from who?
May I ask what design did you build and from who?[/quote]

1200 corridor I mentioned is in my parent's home we built in 2011 with Simonds

Desperately looking for a builder who can work with my design (volume builders I have spoken with won't touch my plans due to customisations on top of typical cookie cutter housr plans)

Wofe really liked Porter Davis and they6jave really good standard inclusions due to 20th anniversary promo but unfortunately they said no to work with our plans!

Here's what I habe been optimising for my first home.
MBX3
May I ask what design did you build and from who?

1200 corridor I mentioned is in my parent's home we built in 2011 with Simonds

Desperately looking for a builder who can work with my design (volume builders I have spoken with won't touch my plans due to customisations on top of typical cookie cutter housr plans)

Wofe really liked Porter Davis and they6jave really good standard inclusions due to 20th anniversary promo but unfortunately they said no to work with our plans!

Here's what I habe been optimising for my first home.[/quote]
Interesting floor plan
I think having the 2 en-suites is what makes it difficult for volume builders to mimic head to toe
This design however does seem achievable
But it depends on your land size and how much squares you can build with a single

The builders I wuld suggest having. A look at (even if they may not copy it completely they still offer similar designs) are Aston, Arden and Boutique

Aston and Arden aren’t your typical volume builders and their inclusions are actually really good for the price they charge
Before you build with any builder, seek a copy of their contract along with any special conditions.

Arden also have a heap. The one that has the lease is Boutique. They have two that I find may push the limits.

Carlisle special conditions are numerous.

Some are:

Condition 3. The builder can at its discretion substitute a specification, material, supplier, contractor and product. Wow look out. What you get is what they have………

Condition 9. The builder wants you to have the work checked by a person of their design. Not by a party that you choose. That breaches the Building Act section 240. You can appoint anybody to assist you. Reading this condition, if you had a need to have a family member appointed to assist, the builder can under this condition refuse access to site.
If you have an independent inspector, you must give the builder an extra day on the contract time if the builder says that they are not a defect.

(that is clearly a penalty! If the independent finds defects, then the builder caused them. Why should the owner be penalised for the builder’s incompetence?)

The homeowner is invoiced every time an Independent goes to site, finds a defect and the builder says NO? That is not fair…..

Love the one about slabs being poured regardless of what the independent find. How about the builder set up a system to obtain the reports and fix the defects? Many times, a Surveyor has passed on to be found wanting by an Independent.
Clause 10 is the same person as clause 9. If the owner appoints an agent, then the agent acts as the owner. So, which is applicable. Looks like a bet each way to confuse.

Condition 14. The builder gets $500 a week for any delays and the home owner only get $250 for any delays…….. What a joke!

I would suggest that other builders offer a better offering. Always ask up front when looking at displays for a sample contract. And then keep it so they cannot sneak things in later! Then ask for the Contract Spec. Let’s look at them…..
Clause 1.3 is all about the builder trying to make it hard for a homeowner to engage a Independent review of the home.
Clause 1.5. The building standard that the builder imposes on you and you agree to by signing is the display. The question is what is the standard of the display? Is the Display up to the Australian Standard or up to the Builders “standard?”
Clause 1.6. You need to understand that what the builder is doing here is building to the builder’s standard via a “Solution” that is not the same as the Australian Standard.
Let us be very clear here. The Builders Standard is what you are signing for, not the Australian Standard that other builders build too.
You need to ask Carlisle for all of those Performance Solutions (Carlisles Standards that they want to impose on you) so you can look at them and understand what the builder is looking to do.
And more so, how he will build the home. Then take them to another builder and ask them to assist with an explanation. The Australian Standard is available for most building processes. You must ask why this builder is doing it different?

Examples:
Other Builders: Carlisle:
Australian standard. (AS) Builder Performance solution.
190 mm step to stairs Variation to that requirement.
Damp Proof to bricks AS Variation to the Carlisle standards.
Frame overhang slab 10 mm Variation to the Carlisle standards.of 25 mm.
Width of cavity 25 mm AS. Variation to the Carlisle standards.to 5 mm around pipes.
Mortar mix 1.1.6. AS Variation to the Carlisle standards. 1.1.10. Weaker.
Australian Standards is: 1 Cement. 1 Lime and 6 Sand.
Carlisle is 1 part cement, 0 parts lime, 5 parts sand with room to move out to:
1 part cement, 1 part lime to 10 parts sand.

Water proofing bathrooms AS. Variation to the Carlisle standards.
DPC location to AS. Variation to the Carlisle standards.
Downpipes to AS. Variation to the Carlisle standards.
Window and Door flashing. AS Variation to the Carlisle standards.
Brick to foam steel flashing. Carlisle Foam cladding to bricks, no flashings. Only Silicon.

Clause 6.5. Both of these items are outside of the requirements of the Australian Standards.
Clause 7.1 is not as per supplier instructions.
Clause 7.3 basically states if Carlisle damage the powder coating, Carlisle will touch up with paint. Powder coating can have a 50-year warranty. Paint has a 12-month warranty as per AS 2311.
Clause 9.3. If they damage the garage panel or roller door ColorBond coating, touch up paint can be applied. ColorBond has a 50-year warranty. Paint has a 12 Month warranty.
Clause 10.1. Door margins from 1 mm to 6 mm. This is outside of the VBA recommendations in the Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2015 by a considerable margin.
Clause 11. Stair highs. Variations to the mandated in the National Construction Code.
Clause 12. Insulation. The Australian Standards call for all to be covered unless removed for safety. Such as around a light or a power point. Carlisle spec allows for more than safety.
Clause 13. Valley irons on the roof are not to be scratched or cut. Carlisle spec allows for damage including rusting after being cut.
Clause 13.2. Damage is not repaired to ColorBond other than painting at their discretion.
Clause 13.3. Damage is not repaired to ColorBond other than painting at their discretion.
Clause 13.4. FC sheeting to eaves can rattle.
Clause 14.2. Mortar mix NOT to Australian Standard. Also Mortar colour variations are acceptable. VBA guide states otherwise.
Australian Standards is: 1 Cement. 1 Lime and 6 Sand.
Carlisle is 1 part cement, 0 parts lime, 5 parts sand with room to move out to:
1 part cement, 1 part lime to 10 parts sand.

Clause 14.3 Bed joints can be 20 mm. The Australian Standard is 13 mm maximum.
Perpends are the space between each brick. Carlisle call for perpends to 25 mm. The Australian Standard calls for 10 mm nominal with a maximum variation of 10 mm. If the wall has 5 mm perpends in parts, then the Australian Standard allows for 15 mm maximum. mm.
Base bed joints of 50 mm. The Australian Standard is 13 max. The VBA guide is 20 mm exposed and 40 mm not exposed. Bricks can overhang the slab by 25 mm. The Standard is 15 mm. Bed joint alignment of 20 mm – or +. That’s a 40 mm variation.
Clause 14.4 Damp Proof Course can be installed 20 mm back from the surface of the brick. Australian Standard is for the Damp proof course to be at the face of the brick. This stops rising damp in the walls. The 20 mm back allows the damp to bypass the whole purpose of the Damp proof barrier.
Clause 14.7 Minimum of three brick courses over steel lintels as per the National Construction Code. The Carlisle method is two only or the homeowner pays for a variation.
Clause 14.7 Brick may overhand a steel lintel by 25 mm in the Australian Standard. Carlisle has an allowance of 30 mm.
Clause 14.8 Cavity in Australian Standards is set at 25 mm to allow for brick cavity drainage. Carlisle call for nil. And in other cases, can be 15 mm. Cavities are to stop water getting into the frame and plaster.
Clause 15.2 Homeowner is not a builder and may not have building skills. The cladding system requires the homeowner to have these skills or to hire a person such as a builder to inspect at the homeowners cost every 12 months.
Clause 15.2. The Australian Standard calls for a Z flashing between the brick work to the lower level and the foam cladding to the upper level. The Carlisle system removes this and installs silicon. Silicon has a warranty of 10 years. Steel ColorBond has a warranty of 50 years.
Clause 16.3. Cornice line Carlisle allow 6 mm over 3 meters. Australian Standard 4 mm over 1.8 meters.
Clause 1.6.3 Level 4 finish with the plaster company overriding any concerns of the homeowner. The same company that the builder pays.
Clause 16.3. Plaster cracking will be the owners concern if the stated paving and gardens are not to Carlisle specification within 3 months after handover.
Clause 16.3. Nail popping must be due to builder’s workmanship, not timber shrinkage. All timber shrinks and therefor Carlisle does not have to do any repairs.
Clause 19.1. The Australian Standard is 4 mm over 2 m. Carlisle is 5 mm over 2 m.
Clause 21 Bench top to be level. Carlisle allowance of 5 mm.
Clause 21.1 Homeowner must mop all water from floor of bathroom immediately after taking a shower. A shower mat must be outside the shower door.
Clause 21.1 Shower inspected every 12 months at owners cost.
Clause 21.1 Owner must notify any future owner of the need to do the above.
Clause 21.2 Australian Standard is to install water proofing to all wall junctions. Carlisle remove part of that obligation.
Clause 22. Water proofing is not as per the Australian Standard when it suites them.
Clause 22. Laundry troths can be out of level? Why?
Clause 23.6 All PVC pipes that are not UV rated will not be painted without a variation of $500.00 plus the cost of the works and profit.
Clause 25. Homeowners to clean their own house.
Clause 25. Fascia and gutters will not be cleaned by Carlisle.
Clause 25. You must pay on handover day regardless. If the builder cannot fit the appliances for any reason, you must still pay.
Clause 26. If the home is vandalised, then the builder will not replace only repair and steam clean.
Clause 27. No matter what you signed for Carlisle can change it without further agreeance from the homeowner. And if they change to a more expensive item, the homeowner must pay the difference.
Clause 30. Carlisle will not accept responsibility for slab movement caused by activities that occurred and not documented such as installing paving, trees, gardens and the like.
Clause 30. The builder places the performance of the home on the homeowner. A homeowner that may not have any experience in building.
Clause 30 Carlisle calls for 70 mm fall over 1 m of newly installed paving. The industry standard and the Australian Standard is 25 mm over 1 m. anything greater could be difficult to walk on and possibly dangerous to a elderly person.
Clause 31. Owner to pay for any damage the builder does to:
1. Crossover.
2. Footpaths to the crossover.
3. Footpaths on knock down rebuilds.
Clause 32. Any damage to the homeowner’s new fences is the homeowners to replace at the home owners cost.
Clause 32. If the homeowner does not maintain the dwelling to Carlisle standards, then warranty is void.
Clause 36. Home must supply a copy of the specifications to the next owner who is obliged to follow them.
25 Year warranty is only for the person that constructed the home. It is not transferable.
Only applicable if sub soil drainage and apron of concrete has been installed around all of the home.
Homeowner must pay for any engineering report if Carlisle say this is required.
Carlisles decision is final on all matters and reserves the right to seek cost if the decision is challenged.

The above is based on a contract released to a home owner in 2020.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

24/04/2024
Carlisle Building Experience

Building A New House

Carlisle use to sneak a water resistant "Performance Solution" into their contracts. Have you checked your contract for same?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum