Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

What to get on the Preliminary works agreement

Page 1 of 1
So it's come down to thee builders, Momu, Dreamstart and Firsthome builders at the end of the week there is another price rise and my design is almost 100%

Is this the time where I negotiate what I want for the house?

For example..

Two include Westinghouse appliances the other says European brands.

two have big instant gas hot water but don't say brands the other says rheem.

Two come with Fujitsu split system reverse aircon and the other is unbranded pending on house size and availability etc.

I asked for 34c will it come with the bigger door frames/doors?

Tiling to the ceiling in bathroom?

Excess sand to be removed?

30cm of sand to be removed from backyard for me to put good soil down?

I saw a list on here for stuff to look at while designing but i'm a little overwhelmed.

What else should I be asking/negotiating?

At the very least should i expect them to match each other?

Please hit me with as much experience and ideas as you can!
Include as many as you want done. Better to know the costings now than in prestart.

- Appliances: unless you are going with expensive models like AEG or Miele, they are about the same I would say.
- Aircon: tough to say... some say Daikin, some say Fujitsu... Look online for their specs and check the capacity (kW).
- Ceiling height doesn't mean higher doors. It is usually an upgrade. Include if you want those. Note that higher ceiling means more volume required for the aircon, so less efficient and etc. 31c would suffice in most cases.
- Tiling: not sure myself of the cost. But go for "rectified" tiles if you can afford it.
- Excess sand: your call.

Include conduits and all the GPOs you need. It is usually cost effective to do during construction than after handover... Include neutral cabling for smart wiring. Include cavity insulation if you can afford.

Ask those builders to include the extra inclusions you want and price them separately (per line item) and look for the best value. Then do your research on how reliable those builders are. Use the cheapest quote you have to gain bargaining leverage. Avoid those that do not want to provide the quote to you as they are usually consultants that do not care much for buyers. A good consultant will work with you to get the best for both...
RobbieB94
What else should I be asking/negotiating?

At the very least should i expect them to match each other?

Please hit me with as much experience and ideas as you can!

Do the sums and compare here
What is the rough cost to raise the ceiling
Pick cost items that are loaded and there is room to move and a fair profit for the builder
The home Buyers grant has changed the rules of engagement..move quickly as time is running out
Cheers
Chris
Related
1/05/2023
preliminary agreement deposit limit in NSW

Building A New House

In NSW the maximum deposit for building work is 5% until the builder provides HBCF insurance

14/09/2023
cancel prelim builder agreement

Building A New House

Hi All, We signed a prelim agreement last year (May 2022) and paid deposit to a builder. However, we didn't go ahead with them and never signed a contract. We ended going…

22/03/2024
Agreement violation

General Discussion

You need to respond to the Builder within 10 business day advising of your rejection of claim as per SoPA on a payment Schedule, Do not miss this deadline.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum