Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Single or Double story on battle axe block??

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone

I have recently subdivided my property in Lawnton 4501. My plan is to rent out my 3 bedroom old property and build a new house in battle axe block for us to move in. Here are 4 different options I have come up with.

option 1: Building a 4 bedroom 2 baths single story home
The cost for this is around 200k.

Option 2: Building a 5 bedroom 3 baths double story home
The price to build double story home is around 300k.

Option 3: Building a 5 bedroom double story home first and add granny flat in 2 yrs time (330-370k). income of $250 per wk

The price to build double story home is around 300k. (Potential to put one or two bedroom granny flat with an extra coast of 30-75k. 30k being 2nd hand and 75k being new. might be able to rent out for $250 per wk. Depending on the cost of granny, it will take 3-6 yrs to pay off the granny flat)

Option 4: Build dual occupancy 4+2 bedroom. 380-400k. income of $250-300 per wk.

What option would be the best for this area Qld 4501?
I can pay off quickly with the first option and invest extra 100k at other locations.
or
Go with any other options?

thank you all in advance.
How long it a piece of string? There's just too many variables.

Do you have an image of the block, or even better a satellite image of all the surrounding blocks?

What size is the block, & what shape? Which direction does the block face? Will it have access to northern light & passive heating? Will there be privacy issues with neighbours?

If you want a comfortable, energy efficient home, aim for the living areas to face north. They'll be light, warmer in winter, cooler in summer.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design

How big a home do you require? Don't build larger than you need. It's bad for your wallet & the environment.

If the block is large enough to also accommodate a granny flat, sure include a granny flat. But only if it won't negatively effect your privacy, & happiness. ie. don't try to jam a granny flat on a small block, you won't the main home to maintain privacy, & you want privacy for the granny flat too. You could consider an attached granny flat, to save space, & probably costs too. Though the dividing walls need extra sound insulation, & fire protection.
I love battleaxes as they allow you to orient your house the way you want without focusing too much on the "street" appeal as well as allowing you to have both private outdoor areas in the front (e.g. south facing for hot summer days) and at the back (e.g. north facing for cold winter days).

Councils are also much more collaborative when it gets to approving facades and unique house designs on battleaxes.
Hi D

Thank you for your quick response.

Do you have an image of the block, or even better a satellite image of all the surrounding blocks?

I have screenshot the image with single story plan.

What size is the block, & what shape?

It’s 25m frontage, 22m at back, 18m width on left side and 14m width on the right side.

Which direction does the block face? Will it have access to northern light & passive heating? Will there be privacy issues with neighbours?

It will be facing north as the land will have 4mx 51m (1/2 easement 1/2 drive all the way through)

If you want a comfortable, energy efficient home, aim for the living areas to face north.

Thank you again for the info. I will look into the link.

How big a home do you need?
We need at least 4 beds 2 baths for our 3 teenagers.

If the block is large enough to also accommodate a granny flat, sure include a granny flat. But only if it won't negatively effect your privacy, & happiness. ie. don't try to jam a granny flat on a small block, you won't the main home to maintain privacy, & you want privacy for the granny flat too. You could consider an attached granny flat, to save space, & probably costs too. Though the dividing walls need extra sound insulation, & fire protection.

single story home 19m x 12m $200k to build
double story 11x16m $300k
granny flat 5x 9m $30-65k

I am wondering what would be the most profitable option out of these 4.
Sorry guys. I am new here. Still learning how to attach pics from my ph.

Thank you for your help.
Hi Alex

Thank you for your assurance. After reading other discussions about the battle axe land I was a bit sceptical to spend too much on the new home.

We would love the double story home but worry that we might be over capitalising the the property as it is a battle axe block.

What would you suggest?

Kind regards

Sandy
SU SANDY
Hi Alex

Thank you for your assurance. After reading other discussions about the battle axe land I was a bit sceptical to spend too much on the new home.

We would love the double story home but worry that we might be over capitalising the the property as it is a battle axe block.

What would you suggest?

Kind regards

Sandy

Turn it into private sanctuary and do AirBnbs if you have any nice attractions or beach around. But if you spend peanuts, you get monkeys. I don't think $1K/sqm is feasible those days, I would suggest to begin your estimates with $1.5K/sqm (for every sqm covered with roof) if you go with volume builders and $2K+/sqm if you are talking about custom built (which obviously is a better investment for Air BnB resort style of property).
SU SANDY

SU SANDY

Have you talked to the planning department of your local council? Suggest you do that before committing to a design....eg a two storey may not be permitted on that site.

We built our new house on a 900sqm battle axe block but our council stipulated a minimum area had to be left as garden / open space, and could not be built upon.

Don’t assume your builder will know!
Bebbsy
Have you talked to the planning department of your local council? Suggest you do that before committing to a design....eg a two storey may not be permitted on that site.

We built our new house on a 900sqm battle axe block but our council stipulated a minimum area had to be left as garden / open space, and could not be built upon.

Don’t assume your builder will know!

Thank you for your advice. I was told to see “private building certifier “. I will visit a few display homes this weekend and find out if they organise that kind of service.
alexp79
SU SANDY
Hi Alex

What would you suggest?

Kind regards

Sandy

Turn it into private sanctuary and do AirBnbs if you have any nice attractions or beach around. But if you spend peanuts, you get monkeys. I don't think $1K/sqm is feasible those days, I would suggest to begin your estimates with $1.5K/sqm (for every sqm covered with roof) if you go with volume builders and $2K+/sqm if you are talking about custom built (which obviously is a better investment for Air BnB resort style of property).

Hi Alex
Thank you again for your infos. I am thinking to go with Coral homes. Will check their prices and inclusions again this weekend.
SU SANDY
Hi D

It’s 25m frontage, 22m at back, 18m width on left side and 14m width on the right side.

It will be facing north as the land will have 4mx 51m (1/2 easement 1/2 drive all the way through)

It's nice that the easement is to the north. Build as close as you can to the southern boundary, creating a northern yard. Flip much of the plan you've shown, so that the living areas face this northern yard, the bedrooms facing south.

What is the outlook like to the north? Is house no. 3 single storey or double storey? Is it reasonably me, or is there a chance it could be knocked down, & replaced with a double storey some time soon?

As this is the direction you want your living areas to face. So, as I mentioned, build as close to you southern boundary as possible, so you are not overshadowed to the north, & have more privacy. A fence separating your northern yard from the driveway will increase privacy.

Is it ALL about profit, or a comfortable life too? Your family will be living here too right?

If comfort & privacy are important to you, I don't think there's enough room for a detached granny flat. You'd probably want it in the southern side, away from your northern living areas & outside spaces, but this would push your home to the north, something you don't want.

So a detached granny flat may be a better option.

Possibly above the garage, if you want to keep the main dwelling on a single level. Or if you're building a double storey, a an attached granny flat south of the garage may be a good option. Giving it a private entrance down the eastern side of the garage, private space to the south, while maintaining your own private space to the north.

This seems like a good option to me. Is it the most profitable, no idea
Sorry, I meant "an attached granny flat may be a better option".

I don't want to edit my above post, as the formatting will go crazy. A problem with the Homeone website for some reason
Like AlexP said I think your estimates of price for a new build are not accurate. Would consider at least $1300sqm, or build super basic house with no upgrades (remember display homes don’t show you what the basic inclusions are)
If your driveway is 51m long this will incur additional costs for utilities including water and sewage. When you speak to builders make sure they give you an estimated cost for these.

Our driveway is 35m long, based on the builders advice $6,700 was added to the construction contract to cover the additional run from the road to the house. Unfortunately by end of the build this had increased to $11,500.

So make sure you have a contingency in your budget for unforeseen costs.
ddarroch
SU SANDY
Hi D

It's nice that the easement is to the north. Build as close as you can to the southern boundary, creating a northern yard. Flip much of the plan you've shown, so that the living areas face this northern yard, the bedrooms facing south.

What is the outlook like to the north? Is house no. 3 single storey or double storey? Is it reasonably me, or is there a chance it could be knocked down, & replaced with a double storey some time soon?

As this is the direction you want your living areas to face. So, as I mentioned, build as close to you southern boundary as possible, so you are not overshadowed to the north, & have more privacy. A fence separating your northern yard from the driveway will increase privacy.

Is it ALL about profit, or a comfortable life too? Your family will be living here too right?

If comfort & privacy are important to you, I don't think there's enough room for a detached granny flat. You'd probably want it in the southern side, away from your northern living areas & outside spaces, but this would push your home to the north, something you don't want.

So a detached granny flat may be a better option.

Possibly above the garage, if you want to keep the main dwelling on a single level. Or if you're building a double storey, a an attached granny flat south of the garage may be a good option. Giving it a private entrance down the eastern side of the garage, private space to the south, while maintaining your own private space to the north.

This seems like a good option to me. Is it the most profitable, no idea

Hi D

House number 3 is a high set house built on lower ground. They had done some renovation recently.

Thank you for your input regarding to the granny flat. This is my plan If I was building granny flat:
1.)Build double story house first (W11x L16m). Facing north. I will have (W9x L14m) vacant land at the end.
2.)Then a granny flat of (W5x L9m) (MBRC only allow 45sqm for secondary dwelling) facing north on (W9x L14m) vacant land..

The only thing I am worried about that is over capitalising. Total for subdivision and double story home would be around $450k. with granny flat would be close to 550k. Being battle axe block, would I be getting that $550k when I sell it?

What would your instinct say?

regards

Sandy
Bebbsy
If your driveway is 51m long this will incur additional costs for utilities including water and sewage. When you speak to builders make sure they give you an estimated cost for these.

Our driveway is 35m long, based on the builders advice $6,700 was added to the construction contract to cover the additional run from the road to the house. Unfortunately by end of the build this had increased to $11,500.

So make sure you have a contingency in your budget for unforeseen costs.

Thank you for pointing this out, B. My town planner has budgeted 10k for driveway as it would be 3x say 30m just up to garage area or a bit over. the rest of the 21m is an easement. i might just put some river stones or grass. Hope they don’t surprise me with big bill in the end.

regards
Sandy
gogo65
Like AlexP said I think your estimates of price for a new build are not accurate. Would consider at least $1300sqm, or build super basic house with no upgrades (remember display homes don’t show you what the basic inclusions are)
Related
28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum