Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Visible Plasterboard Joins after paint

Page 2 of 2
alexp79
You generally see those joints when the joints were not well sanded. Level 5 is certainly the best thing to have, however, with proper workmanship you shouldn't be see joints that clearly on Level 4 either.

I agree Alex , I dont think that the walls have been sanded properly and as Chippy said the sheets havent been screwed properly either. I wouldnt accept this.
Hi, we had a similar issue on the ceiling on a house we built over 10 years ago now with Simonds (Vic). Luckily for us it was sorted out, but strangely Simonds somehow managed to get CSR to cough up some money due to 'defective product'? No way it was just poor workmanship. Anyhow I think they re-skimmed the ceiling (as this was after it was painted). Came up much better, not perfect but definitely acceptable to us. So it can be improved and I don't think it is a massive task. But will involve re-painting obviously too.
my hallway is exactly the same. my builder got the csr rep out who claimed it was only the lighting problem.
I only notice mainly when my front door is open. once I switch on my lights the walls look perfect.
so I couldn't see it, I hang up large pictures on the hallway wall now I don't notice it. however I am repainting the hall way now looking at my cornice on a side angle the paint work looks all blotchy but looks perfect when you look at it on a straight view. going to try using a primer and then repaintig to see if it looks better.
Jungle209
Feel your pain mate. We are going through the exact same thing at the moment with very noticable joins across 70% of the walls, does my head in. Builders literally singed on the dotted line to repair in the 3 month defect report and are now saying they won't fix it if the plasterer says it's doesn't need to be addressed. I would have thought they would have done that before signing off on the defect list. Not sure how binding that maintenance inspection report is if push comes to shove but we'll soon find out.

Update fyi: the plaster rep came down last week and said it was an installation defect and is not within tolerance as parts of the joins were visible from 1.5m (some you could only see under light but he still said that it was not up to scratch). Builders said no worries and they are going to skim and paint all the affected walls to address it.
Jungle209
Jungle209
Feel your pain mate. We are going through the exact same thing at the moment with very noticable joins across 70% of the walls, does my head in. Builders literally singed on the dotted line to repair in the 3 month defect report and are now saying they won't fix it if the plasterer says it's doesn't need to be addressed. I would have thought they would have done that before signing off on the defect list. Not sure how binding that maintenance inspection report is if push comes to shove but we'll soon find out.

Update fyi: the plaster rep came down last week and said it was an installation defect and is not within tolerance as parts of the joins were visible from 1.5m (some you could only see under light but he still said that it was not up to scratch). Builders said no worries and they are going to skim and paint all the affected walls to address it.

Thanks for this mate. I might look to go down this route
glad it’s worked out for you!
We just had an insurance repair job on undercover outside area (after an 18 month wait), they just came and redid paint it as we could clearly see the join lines. 5 coats now and still visible. Original was a semi paint, new paint was meant to be matt exterior.
Not sure what they did wrong, except maybe speed. Board all glued and screwed onto new 450 metal battens, skimmed about 5 times (all on one day) then left 48hrs to dry, sanded and painted with taubmans allweather. Looks crap, company was lovely and has already repainted. Any suggestions?

idpm
We just had an insurance repair job on undercover outside area (after an 18 month wait), they just came and redid paint it as we could clearly see the join lines. 5 coats now and still visible. Original was a semi paint, new paint was meant to be matt exterior.
Not sure what they did wrong, except maybe speed. Board all glued and screwed onto new 450 metal battens, skimmed about 5 times (all on one day) then left 48hrs to dry, sanded and painted with taubmans allweather. Looks crap, company was lovely and has already repainted. Any suggestions?

I ended up just living with it, it still frustrates me to this day but the builder didn’t fix it.

I have heard of a ‘level 5 finish’ which is suppose to fix the issue but it seems very difficult to find a plasterer with the skill to do the job.
NathanPS
I have heard of a ‘level 5 finish’ which is suppose to fix the issue but it seems very difficult to find a plasterer with the skill to do the job.

the skill is one aspect, the time involved is another. I had a wall finished in level 5 and took them three visits over a week to to to a 7m wall. level 5 finish is time consuming and wont be done as a standard nor as a fix unless the area being fixed is seriously terrible. Visible joins in critical light are part of an acceptable tolerance for a level 4 finish sadly
Difference between Level 4 and Level 5 is that it requires full skimming (not just joins), as far as I know.

In fact, with the right approach, completing to Level 5 should be way faster than Level 4.

How skimming is done those days:

1) skimming is performed using powerful airless spray stations - capable team of 3 can skim up to 1000 sqm/day;
2) followed by sanding which is performed using special sanding machines - 200-300 sqm/day by an experienced team;
alexp79
Difference between Level 4 and Level 5 is that it requires full skimming (not just joins), as far as I know.

In fact, with the right approach, completing to Level 5 should be way faster than Level 4.

How skimming is done those days:

1) skimming is performed using powerful airless spray stations - capable team of 3 can skim up to 1000 sqm/day;
2) followed by sanding which is performed using special sanding machines - 200-300 sqm/day by an experienced team;

yes, full skim. they also can roll on. the special sanding machines can also leave marks if not operated properly, voiding the whole point of a level 5.
can also leave marks during manual sanding too
they still need the right level of skill and feeling to perform
How do do level 5 finish after painted ?
Pedro4137
How do do level 5 finish after painted ?

Like a painted wall.
Related
15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

12/02/2024
Resilient mounts with standard 13mm plasterboard

Building A New House

What we have done in a few theatres ( including my own) is run 2 layers of 13mm gyprock, but sounds insulation especially for the bass is really tricky as a lot of that…

12/04/2024
Can you use plasterboard for window jambs, reveals, sills?

Windows & Doors

Plasterboard Gyprock is very popular as a reveal liner these days. You need to provide a way of supporting it, we use a modified timber reveal or bracket. You will be…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum