Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Solar - QLD What should I look out for?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I purchased a block of land in QLD and the developer has a promotion that buyers receive a free solar system with the purchase.

What should I lookout for and how do I know if this is a good or bad solar system? I've read and heard a few horror stories where buyers requested solar from the builder and it was a bad quality ones.

Anyway, I have not request this from them as I want to know how to spot if this is a worth-it free giveaway first. I have never had or installed any solar in my house, so this will be the first for me.

They only mention this:
6.6kW Solar System
22 x 300W Tier 1 Panels
1 x 5kW Commercial Grade Inverter
10 year warranty on install, inverters and panels
Free Installation (upon completion of home)

Thanks.
Not sure if the forum rules allow me to link to external sites but just Google "Solar quotes 101" and the very first result will be the correct one. There is a huge wealth of information on the solar quotes website and that first article will be a great starting point.

Unfortunately, you've been thrown some buzz words like "Tier 1" with no mention of models/brands which throws off some alarm bells. Best to ask what panels and inverter they will be using.

Also, if you find out what company your builder will be using for the solar installation, you can check if they have reviews available online and on the solar quotes website.

Not too sure on how much the pricing differs between states but in Victoria, a 6.6 kW system typically costs between $5-8k (from low end to higher end panels/inverters).
keyman
Not sure if the forum rules allow me to link to external sites but just Google "Solar quotes 101" and the very first result will be the correct one. There is a huge wealth of information on the solar quotes website and that first article will be a great starting point.

Unfortunately, you've been thrown some buzz words like "Tier 1" with no mention of models/brands which throws off some alarm bells. Best to ask what panels and inverter they will be using.

Also, if you find out what company your builder will be using for the solar installation, you can check if they have reviews available online and on the solar quotes website.

Not too sure on how much the pricing differs between states but in Victoria, a 6.6 kW system typically costs between $5-8k (from low end to higher end panels/inverters).

Hi keyman,

Yes, I've been to that website, but just want to know what other people think about this as well.

The website of the company doesn't really help as well, but the review are okay so far (the ones I've found online anyway) : https://nexussolar.com.au/
One 'Free' solar package I've seen promoted installs a system on your home at no cost, but you do not own it. The installer owns the system for a number of years (4) before it becomes yours. If you connect using their power retailer they will sell the generated power back to you at a 'discounted' rate.

Check the fine print.
Hi Varsity,

Just a question: why is that an issue?
Obviously you know you won't get it for free, you need to pay for it in some way and this is how they do it.
My question is if you don't have money for the system at this stage why not go ahead with this option?
Las, there is no issue. It simply depends on how pedantic one is on the use of the word FREE.

There are other no deposit finance options available through several suppliers, even the QLD Gov had an interest free loan program going that may or may not include better options like being able to choose your own electricity retailer and getting the full benefit of the best feed in tariffs.
Thanks for your reply!
I will look into these other options as well.
Related
5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

5/03/2024
Looking for the perfect design - 2 storey in Qld

Building A New House

We used a smaller qld builder who went bankrupt about 12 months after completion of ours. It was a shame as they were good and relatively cheap and I would have used…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum