Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Costs - The 'price' realistic vs paper

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

Going around to a few builders in the area getting idea of what to build etc; all there 'price lists' seem to not include the basics, what i've been told all of these are extra:

1)Site Costs
2)Cooling/Heating (Ducted and refrigerated)
3)Driveway
4) Landscaping (Front)
5) Fencing (around – Design requirements state wooden); If building on a side; does that mean you need to completely pay for one whole side?
6) Additional down-lights!?

Can anyone give me an indication on what the above would cost per item (ROUGHLY) on a 14m wide; 32 deep block?

Additionally; what are some 'extra's' that you really cant live without i've been told to
1) 'upgrade from the smeg applicances'
2) 'dont just go for the lamenix benchtops'

3) Higher ceilings!!
4) Make sure you get the slightly nicer carpet..... etc.

It appears that some offer 'packages'; is it generally best to go for a 'package'? How much is a package worth!?

Also; all the garages (double) are 5x6m, to do something like a 5.5x6m, how much extra would you be looking at?

Roughly on a 29 square (incl garage)

Looking at the Metricon Savannah 29 there 'paper' price is 292,500 its almost like im at 370k realistically already or am I over guessing?

Also; how much do builders move on price, do you need to be a good negotiator?
Mintee

On an average 20-30% up after you have paid a deposit for the preparation of plans
As Displayed 50%-100%
It's not as if you are buying the same fridge and screwing down the salesman
Builders own copyright and their margins are tight... until you signup.
Get your own design and shop the price around make sure you get some of the $20K building stimulus handout
while it lasts

Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Mintee

On an average 20-30% up after you have paid a deposit for the preparation of plans
As Displayed 50%-100%
It's not as if you are buying the same fridge and screwing down the salesman
Builders own copyright and their margins are tight... until you signup.
Get your own design and shop the price around make sure you get some of the $20K building stimulus handout
while it lasts

Cheers
Chris

Sorry I didn't 100% follow.

So you're saying if there's a list price of 290k. Expect 48k-77k on plans? I was under the impression that this was built into the price... Fml

And Expect fittings / fixtures etc to be 145k-290k?

In trying to calculate without the stimulus so I know if I can actually afford to build. When you say get your own design and shop around ? Do you mean like take metricons floor plan and give it to xyz? Or are you saying stay away from the big builders all together?
Exactly, Negotiation 101!

Now homebuyers can design using AR, own the BIM, and builder just coordinates the construction. Actually there is no need for the 'builder' as we know them because sub contractors and consultants can do all the work scheduled with workflow software.

Todays builders could morph into operators of display home villages, offering concierge and free coffee to new homebuyers for a small entry fee.
Mintee
When you say get your own design and shop around ? Do you mean like take metricons floor plan and give it to xyz? Or are you saying stay away from the big builders all together?

Own your own design, data and quantities as the builder owns copyright on their design
If you copy the builders design and shop it around you will be sued for breach of their copyright

Mintee
In trying to calculate without the stimulus so I know if I can actually afford to build.

If you know the costs of your design/build then pressure the builders to share some of his stimulus
the money is better in your pocket and there would be plenty of desperate builders out there prepared to cut margins
Goodluck
Welcome to the First Home Builder's club mate. Surprise Surprise !! nothing's included . The builders have margin on everything and what they provide you all depends on how tight they go on that. I was told an easy way to calculate pricing is 11K * size of house in squares, that's for an average house and nothing over the top. Anyways, you'll need to get quotes from a number if builders and compare.
KameGame
Welcome to the First Home Builder's club mate. Surprise Surprise !! nothing's included . The builders have margin on everything and what they provide you all depends on how tight they go on that. I was told an easy way to calculate pricing is 11K * size of house in squares, that's for an average house and nothing over the top. Anyways, you'll need to get quotes from a number if builders and compare.

Thanks for the prompt response and welcome; that 11k + sitecosts, landscaping, plans etc etc?. Is that incl or excl the garage.

Im looking at 30 SQ double, so an estimate of 330k all up is accurate? my figures are showing more towards 370k at the moment everything done and dusted which is beginning to stretch a little too thin.
Mintee
KameGame

Thanks for the prompt response and welcome; that 11k + sitecosts, landscaping, plans etc etc?. Is that incl or excl the garage.

Im looking at 30 SQ double, so an estimate of 330k all up is accurate? my figures are showing more towards 370k at the moment everything done and dusted which is beginning to stretch a little too thin.

For a 30sq home, circa 330K including site costs and basic inclusions. Landscaping/ Fencing is always an extra. If you want to go over the top with colorbond roofs, upgrades for benchtops, flooring & fixtures it it will cost you more.
Here are some quantity surveyor estimates of residential buildings builders' costs+profit per m2. Just add government / compliance costs + GST to get to a price.

Surely thats not right?!

Just checked, the guide says these index figures already include builders profit.

My build worked out to be approx $1,580.000 per square meter. The above looks to be in the ball park
D350mh
My build worked out to be approx $1,580.000 per square meter. The above looks to be in the ball park

So thats with no landscaping/fencing, but legit everything in the house done, site costs, plans etc etc?
That's correct - but this may be different depending on which builder you go with, your site and many other variables
How does the tender process work? Can you get people you know to tender for work? I.e I know a sparky, can this reduce your cost.

I dont want to take corners but if sparky A will charge me like 40k hypothetically, and sparky B will change me 37k for the same quality, and work, then im better off going for sparky B. Im assuming this process happens BEFORE contract signing and would incur some costs to get to this point?
Project home builders will generally have their own trades to do their work. In standard circumstances they don't allow external trades on site until handover.
Mintee
How does the tender process work? Can you get people you know to tender for work? I.e I know a sparky, can this reduce your cost.

I dont want to take corners but if sparky A will charge me like 40k hypothetically, and sparky B will change me 37k for the same quality, and work, then im better off going for sparky B. Im assuming this process happens BEFORE contract signing and would incur some costs to get to this point?

where are you looking to build?
Fraser Rise - Most Likely Westwood Estate
Mintee

Find a building designer (not an architect) and design your own, then take it to a builder, if its a flat block you should be between

$1300-$1550 per m2 (Sydney prices)
GrahamB
Mintee

Find a building designer (not an architect) and design your own, then take it to a builder, if its a flat block you should be between

$1300-$1550 per m2 (Sydney prices)

Ive been told a 350mm fall; i've been told this isn't 'crazy' or 'too bad' > 500mm is bad?

When you say 'take it to a builder', like a local, non project builder? or do they build this too?
Related
9/06/2023
Calibrate on Canberra Build Price June 2023

Building A New House

Wow I hadn't realised things had gotten that pricey in just a couple of years since I built, that is crazy with how much land is now costing if you aren't lucky enough to…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum