Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Hue 42 Bayside Build - 2020/21

Page 11 of 12
px8
sifntdaz
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

I’ve had quite a few people ask me about some post handover expenses so here is a rough guide based on my own experience to help those:

Landscaping: It’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but I think depending on your requirements expect to pay between $60-$120k. We were told to budget about $70k by TA BUT this was also 2 years ago! Things you need to include – site clear, driveway, paving to entry, planting and garden beds for front, concreting for side paths, any pavers or decking required for outdoors, retaining walls, outdoor lighting, front fencing, letter box, irrigation etc.

Pool & Pool Fencing: $50k for a fibre glass and $70-100k for a concrete. Plus coping for pool (and paving) and then fencing around pool. Our quotes were $150 pm for black aluminium, $400 pm for glass and $700-$1200 pm for customized steel. So in totally expect to pay anywhere between $6k-$13k or $20-30k for a custom steel fence.

Crossover: If you need to get a new crossover and also repair the footpath in order to get your bond back from council. This will be $3-5k.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: $7-15k. We were at the $13k mark for 4 sets of sheers (2 across dining, 1 across living and 1 in master), black out blinds for bedrooms, 3 x plantations and transparent blinds for remainder of house. Prices will go up from this if you want more sheers, plantations and electric blinds. Obviously prices go down if you just do all blinds for the house however it certainly removes some of the ‘magic’ of the home not having plantations and sheers.

Electrical: $5-$15k depending on how much you do post or during build. There was a lot of electrical work we did post handover. Things to consider –pendants across house (front room, front entry, staircase void, master bedroom, powder room and ensuite, dining table, over kitchen island), installation of appliances, fans, mounting any TVs, LED strip lights, earthing of pool, additional downlights for upstairs, fans, purchase and install of ring security cameras etc. We’ve spent so far $12k and will spend more on garden lighting in future.

Furniture: Make sure that you put away at least $10-15k to get your minimum furniture set up for the house. There is no point building a beautiful home and then putting in old ill fitting furniture. You don’t need to buy everything from the start and can gradually build however at least have your key pieces – new couches, dining table & chairs, rug, coffee table.

Plumbing: If you have a water tank you will need to pay to plumb it to irrigation system. About $1k.

Fencing: About $100-$120 per meter you need done, shared 50/50 with your neighbours for timber fencing. For us we had to redo about 75% of our fencing as the previous owner had never agreed with neighbours to do this.

Appliances: If you are getting appliances installed post handover budget $8-10k for quality ovens, induction, dishwasher and fridge. Appliances Online are always great for a deal if you can buy in advance.

Garage: Worth considering getting epoxy flooring before you move in. About $2k.

Solar Panels: We will wait until the 3 month mark to get these installed once we get a better understanding on our electrical consumption. Actually not sure what the cost is here? Gah! Also make sure you get the pre wiring done as part of your electrical plan!

Some other costs aside from the build cost to consider:
Legal Fees for R&C, Phase 3 Pit install (About $5k), Demo ($15-20k).

We have also had a few drainage issues that we needed to get fixed so worth having a kitty of a few thousand for any issues that may arise!

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. We are hopefully 2 weeks from settlement, however latest lockdown is somewhat stalling a few things. As we are quite advanced, I can add to your list. Will keep it brief, but if anyone wants further detail feel free to DM.

Landscaping: Went with modern living. 120-130k is where I think i'll land. Landscaping is probably about 60% done so well progressed.

Pool & Pool Fencing: 80k for the concrete pool. Fencing / coping etc, included in landscaping. Went with intheswim.

Crossover: 3-5k seems about right with the quotes i'vé got so far. Still waiting for council permit.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: 15k for 4 bdrs sheers and blockout curtains, 1 roller blind, 4 plantation shutters and sheers in living / dining and lounge. Fabric was the james dunlop and mokum for the sheers.

Electrical: Mostly done through build. About 10k for light fittings (in/out) not including garden which is part of the landscape cost. A whole heap of Nordlux products and similar things to what lightslightslights has to offer.

Appliances: Did a deal with e&s. The lady I have been dealing with has been helpful, so if you need a contact at the chadstone store let me know.

Solar Panels: Maxed roofspace, 34 panels of LG on enphase. $19k. We are an all electric house.

Lots of other random costs which I have maintained on a spreadsheet that keeps growing.

Thanks for sharing the details. While you are all electric, could you please share what hot water system you have?

We opted for a Sanden system.
Hi all, the TA inclusions have $4500 allowance for appliances. Can I pls ask if most of of you have gone for post handover installation or is it cheaper to go with TA?

Also, have you found that the $15,000 for electrical is sufficient for your build? If not, what should I reasonably allow for?

I’ve started a spreadsheet to track costs as well and it’s amazing how easy and quickly it all adds up!

Thank you in advance
[quote="aang"]Hi all, the TA inclusions have $4500 allowance for appliances. Can I pls ask if most of of you have gone for post handover installation or is it cheaper to go with TA?

I have allowed $10k in PSQ but I’m probably going to get my own at a sale. What brands do they carry?
aang
Hi all, the TA inclusions have $4500 allowance for appliances. Can I pls ask if most of of you have gone for post handover installation or is it cheaper to go with TA?

Also, have you found that the $15,000 for electrical is sufficient for your build? If not, what should I reasonably allow for?

We took a hybrid approach for appliances - we will install some post-handover and some we will go through TA. The former are appliances we feel we can 1) get someone to install easily and 2) take advantage of more competitive pricing. The latter are appliances we feel would be better to have installed at the time of construction. For example, we didn't want to mess with the overhead joinery and ducting by trying to install a rangehood post-handover.

In terms of pricing, TA will apply a margin and their prices include installation obviously. TA have some "preferred" brands so if you go for Bosch or Smeg for example, I'm told their prices are quite competitive. However, these brands do not have "agency pricing" (i.e. their prices are not fixed by the manufacturer), so it's easy to negotiate a better price with a retailer like E&S, Winning Appliances, etc. If you are going for brands that have agency pricing (e.g. NEFF, Miele, Gaggenau, V-zug, etc), you won't be able to negotiate with the retailer, but you may still get a better price from the manufacturer via their seasonal promotions that run through the year (e.g. buy 3 appliances and get 5% off). One thing that's helpful is that Euro regulations mean all ovens need to be manufactured to standard dimensions. So if it's a European brand, they should theoretically all fit in the same cavity regardless of make and model.

So based on the above we are doing our ovens and dishwasher post-handover, rangehood through TA.

For electrical, we ended well over the 15K inclusion. We allowed for 4K extra in our PSQ (so 19K total) but when we sat down at the electrical appointment, the consultant drew up a basic plan with downlights and power points and we were already at the 19K mark before we even added any of the nice-to-haves! We ended up around 30K after adding some feature lighting (some will be done post-handover), upgrading and adding downlights, extra power-points, ceiling fans, and a lot of provisioning for alarm and network cameras - both of which will be done post-handover as I'm in technology and would like things done a certain way. We didn't add any integrated smart home features either other than for HVAC which was priced separately.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - how long is the electrical appointment?

I have only allowed for 3phase, med alarm, video intercom and a Sungrow 6kw SolarPack lite. Total appro $11k ontop of $15k. I have not allowed for lighting etc.
iehn
aang

So based on the above we are doing our ovens and dishwasher post-handover, rangehood through TA.

Sorry forgot to add that we are also getting our stovetop from TA as well. We didn't want to mess around with the stone post-handover.
rachelj72
Thanks - how long is the electrical appointment?

I have only allowed for 3phase, med alarm, video intercom and a Sungrow 6kw SolarPack lite. Total appro $11k ontop of $15k. I have not allowed for lighting etc.

They allow for 3 hours, and ours went for approx. 3 hours.
sifntdaz
px8
sifntdaz
Thanks for the info. We are hopefully 2 weeks from settlement, however latest lockdown is somewhat stalling a few things. As we are quite advanced, I can add to your list. Will keep it brief, but if anyone wants further detail feel free to DM.

Landscaping: Went with modern living. 120-130k is where I think i'll land. Landscaping is probably about 60% done so well progressed.

Pool & Pool Fencing: 80k for the concrete pool. Fencing / coping etc, included in landscaping. Went with intheswim.

Crossover: 3-5k seems about right with the quotes i'vé got so far. Still waiting for council permit.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: 15k for 4 bdrs sheers and blockout curtains, 1 roller blind, 4 plantation shutters and sheers in living / dining and lounge. Fabric was the james dunlop and mokum for the sheers.

Electrical: Mostly done through build. About 10k for light fittings (in/out) not including garden which is part of the landscape cost. A whole heap of Nordlux products and similar things to what lightslightslights has to offer.

Appliances: Did a deal with e&s. The lady I have been dealing with has been helpful, so if you need a contact at the chadstone store let me know.

Solar Panels: Maxed roofspace, 34 panels of LG on enphase. $19k. We are an all electric house.

Lots of other random costs which I have maintained on a spreadsheet that keeps growing.

Thanks for sharing the details. While you are all electric, could you please share what hot water system you have?

We opted for a Sanden system.

Wow interesting - we were told we are ONLY allowed the Rinnai hot water heat pump system. Which model did they allow you to get?
iehn
iehn
aang

Sorry forgot to add that we are also getting our stovetop from TA as well. We didn't want to mess around with the stone post-handover.

We are planning on getting our oven/induction cooktop done post-handover, do you recommend we get the cooktop through TA? I assumed it was pre-cut and there wouldn't be much messing around with the stone other than placing the cooktop on it.
JayxZara
We are planning on getting our oven/induction cooktop done post-handover, do you recommend we get the cooktop through TA? I assumed it was pre-cut and there wouldn't be much messing around with the stone other than placing the cooktop on it.

To be honest, I think doing the cooktop post-handover is OK. It just comes down to us being risk averse, so didn't want to risk it in case we damaged anything trying to do it post-handover or if it wasn't cut quite right. The risk of this admittedly is probably low so I wouldn't worry about it if this is the path you've chosen.

As our appliances are also agency priced, we wouldn't have managed to negotiate a better price on the cooktop with a retailer anyway and it wasn't much more to have TA install it so we decided to just let them do it.
iehn
JayxZara

To be honest, I think doing the cooktop post-handover is OK. It just comes down to us being risk averse, so didn't want to risk it in case we damaged anything trying to do it post-handover or if it wasn't cut quite right. The risk of this admittedly is probably low so I wouldn't worry about it if this is the path you've chosen.

As our appliances are also agency priced, we wouldn't have managed to negotiate a better price on the cooktop with a retailer anyway and it wasn't much more to have TA install it so we decided to just let them do it.

Right that makes sense. We are getting a Qasair 90cm rangehood, which at E&S is approx $3.2k but that is no ducting or installation. TA quoted us just under $5k for the same system installed with ducting, so we just went with TA to save us the headache. We are going with Electrolux Induction/Pyro oven, and are saving about $1.3k for cooktop and $2.3k for oven doing it post handover, so it is quite significant. But now you have me worried. I am risk averse too, generally opting to pay a little more for it to have less risk. Now I am not sure what to do haha.
JayxZara
iehn
JayxZara

Right that makes sense. We are getting a Qasair 90cm rangehood, which at E&S is approx $3.2k but that is no ducting or installation. TA quoted us just under $5k for the same system installed with ducting, so we just went with TA to save us the headache. We are going with Electrolux Induction($1.3k saving)/Pyro($2.3k saving) oven, and are saving about $1.3k for cooktop and $2.3k for oven doing it post handover, so it is quite significant. But now you have me worried. I am risk averse too, generally opting to pay a little more for it to have less risk. Now I am not sure what to do haha.

We're getting a Qasair too. We're hoping to save a couple of thousand too on the appliances if we manage to time it with some good promotional offers.

Didn't mean to worry you. I was actually hoping to put your mind at ease with my response.
Given you'd probably have to pay TA's (utterly ridiculous and unnecessarily punitive) variation costs at your stage, I would just leave it.
aang

I’ve started a spreadsheet to track costs as well and it’s amazing how easy and quickly it all adds up!

Thank you in advance

We did our appliances separately.

$16k for electrical + 10k for feature lighting purchased outside of TA (not including garden).
JayxZara
Wow interesting - we were told we are ONLY allowed the Rinnai hot water heat pump system. Which model did they allow you to get?

They may have limited the options from when we started. I'd ask the question again to double check

I got the one with the narrow but tall tank. Can't remember the model number, but it was the slimest.
JayxZara
iehn
JayxZara

Right that makes sense. We are getting a Qasair 90cm rangehood, which at E&S is approx $3.2k but that is no ducting or installation. TA quoted us just under $5k for the same system installed with ducting, so we just went with TA to save us the headache. We are going with Electrolux Induction/Pyro oven, and are saving about $1.3k for cooktop and $2.3k for oven doing it post handover, so it is quite significant. But now you have me worried. I am risk averse too, generally opting to pay a little more for it to have less risk. Now I am not sure what to do haha.

We did our range hood through TA and all other appliances post handover (including induction) if that helps put your mind at ease too. The risk to do the induction post handover is so so minimal I would not worry about it we had zero dramas.
rachelj72
aang

I have allowed $10k in PSQ but I’m probably going to get my own at a sale. What brands do they carry?

I was told to look at Harvey Norman Commercial for what they can get more easily and at a better price point. Bosch is their preference for most competitive pricing i believe.
iehn
aang

We took a hybrid approach for appliances - we will install some post-handover and some we will go through TA. The former are appliances we feel we can 1) get someone to install easily and 2) take advantage of more competitive pricing. The latter are appliances we feel would be better to have installed at the time of construction. For example, we didn't want to mess with the overhead joinery and ducting by trying to install a rangehood post-handover.

In terms of pricing, TA will apply a margin and their prices include installation obviously. TA have some "preferred" brands so if you go for Bosch or Smeg for example, I'm told their prices are quite competitive. However, these brands do not have "agency pricing" (i.e. their prices are not fixed by the manufacturer), so it's easy to negotiate a better price with a retailer like E&S, Winning Appliances, etc. If you are going for brands that have agency pricing (e.g. NEFF, Miele, Gaggenau, V-zug, etc), you won't be able to negotiate with the retailer, but you may still get a better price from the manufacturer via their seasonal promotions that run through the year (e.g. buy 3 appliances and get 5% off). One thing that's helpful is that Euro regulations mean all ovens need to be manufactured to standard dimensions. So if it's a European brand, they should theoretically all fit in the same cavity regardless of make and model.

For electrical, we ended well over the 15K inclusion. We allowed for 4K extra in our PSQ (so 19K total) but when we sat down at the electrical appointment, the consultant drew up a basic plan with downlights and power points and we were already at the 19K mark before we even added any of the nice-to-haves! We ended up around 30K after adding some feature lighting (some will be done post-handover), upgrading and adding downlights, extra power-points, ceiling fans, and a lot of provisioning for alarm and network cameras - both of which will be done post-handover as I'm in technology and would like things done a certain way. We didn't add any integrated smart home features either other than for HVAC which was priced separately.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this jehn. It is very helpful indeed. I've collated a list of pricing from websites like appliances online and winning appliances and will have it on the ready when we go for the styling appt. I was thinking the same that some things are easier to install post handover than others but i guess it'll come down to price. But golly i didn't think to allow for that much for electricals. I had $5k provisioned for in our first few rounds of PSQ but then was convinced to remove it cos "we wouldn't need it". I better add that back to our spreadsheet again.
sifntdaz
aang

Thank you in advance

$16k for electrical + 10k for feature lighting purchased outside of TA (not including garden).

Is this $16K on top of the $15K originally included?
sifntdaz
aang

Thank you in advance

Is this $16K on top of the $15K originally included?
lilaandco
JayxZara

We did our range hood through TA and all other appliances post handover (including induction) if that helps put your mind at ease too. The risk to do the induction post handover is so so minimal I would not worry about it we had zero dramas.

Oh great, thanks for the extra reassurance. I guess we are going to pull the trigger on the appliances!
Related
2/10/2023
Carter Grange vs. Thomas Archer

Building A New House

We spent close to 2 years in a process with TA. It was horrible..... we got to tender, and the first cut was 50% over our budget which "they care such about meeting ". We…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum