Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Hue 42 Bayside Build - 2020/21

Page 2 of 12
sifntdaz
Hi

thanks for your detailed post looks great. We are in a very similar position with you, having just had our tender discussion recently. Just decided to create an account after spending so much time on here reading only.

Just 2 comments / questions from me:
- We spent a lot of time discussing garage width with them as I think their standard is 5.5m internal, which I think is the size of yours. We finally were able to increase to 5.9m and even then I think it's still 100-200mm smaller than what i'd like. I measured out my current and its 5.9m, but that doesn't allow you to have both cars with their doors open fully. Just something you may want to consider.
- I see that you are installing your benchtop post handover. Is there a reason for this? cost?

thanks

Is that standard 5.5m just for the Hue? We are looking at the Evoke and it is definately over 6m wide.
build2020
sifntdaz
Hi

thanks for your detailed post looks great. We are in a very similar position with you, having just had our tender discussion recently. Just decided to create an account after spending so much time on here reading only.

- We spent a lot of time discussing garage width with them as I think their standard is 5.5m internal, which I think is the size of yours. We finally were able to increase to 5.9m and even then I think it's still 100-200mm smaller than what i'd like. I measured out my current and its 5.9m, but that doesn't allow you to have both cars with their doors open fully. Just something you may want to consider.
- I see that you are installing your benchtop post handover. Is there a reason for this? cost?

thanks

Is that standard 5.5m just for the Hue? We are looking at the Evoke and it is definately over 6m wide.

it was the original width of mine, however we eventually got it widened. I just assumed it was standard as the OP's garage is also 5.5m internal width
sifntdaz
Hi

thanks

Hello! Our garage cant' really be extended as our block is under the standard width of the Hue requirements (14.64 v 15.24) - we already had to reduce down the width of the formal lounge to accommodate this and build to boundary for the garage. Without really compromising on things we're at maximum width for the garage unfortunately.
Doing bench post handover is so we can finalise on our stone selection (and save a little bit of money on costs) - I don't think TA do this as a handover item as standard. If you're choosing from their regular range its probably not worth doing post handover also!
So we finally have some progress!
Site start was beginning of July - last week they poured the slab and the framing has commenced today.
It was amazing to feel the proportions of the house last week with the slab down - much bigger than I ever dreamed. I can't wait for the frames to be erected and to really feel the scale of the 3m ceilings. It is such an emotional journey getting to see every step of your forever home being built and I am so glad we decided to do this rather than buy an existing home!
There's been minimal dramas as of yet. The pool company ended up installing our pool incorrectly (apparently this is very common) by an entire meter. So now the pool is 1m from the house rather than 2m - this actually works for us as we always wanted the pool closer but we didn't want to have to spend $8k+ on an engineered hardcover. Now when we're sitting on the alfresco we'll be right next to the pool - can't wait for summer 2021/22!
We're really happy with our site supervisor Gary. We have also engaged New Home Inspectors (thank you to the lovely forum member Leonie for that recommendation) who will do a 3rd party inspection at frame stage, pre plaster and PCI.
While the planning process felt very slow at times we've been really happy with the progress since contract sign. Unlike other builders who we've heard horror stories of being on 6 month waiting lists to get to site start TA have been great!

congrats on progress. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use for the swimming pool and did TA not do a house set out prior to the pool being dug to ensure position is accurate?

the only other point i'd note is given the pool is now 1m closer to the house, is the engineering of the house still adequate? We have ours located 300mm from house and as a result had extra engineering requirements for the slab. I'm not an engineer so not sure where the cut off point is re this.
Also onto another fun topic - wine room!
We have decided to proceed with Vine and Vault based in Park Orchards. They are a husband and wife team and can do the full 360 for wine fit outs - temp controls, wine racking, custom joinery, fit outs and LED stripe lighting.
We will be getting them to do mammoth french steel double glazed doors (190mm Wide x 2700mm high) - we quoted this out to quite a few steel vendors but decided it is better to keep suppliers minimal and their prices were competitive. They can also do oxidised glass which will be better for the wine and a lock for when our daughter is a little older

We will be getting the INO25 temp control (it is a beast so we'll have to be creative with how we hide it), single standard bottle racking (with potentially a shelf between for display) and LED lights. Because of the 3m ceilings we can fit 1600 bottles in there - might take a while to fill up (although if you saw the hoarders state of our front room with all my husbands wine purchases you wouldn't think so!).

The wine room is our little splash out for the house but its something that we both love and will be great from an entertainers perspective!
sifntdaz
congrats on progress. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use for the swimming pool and did TA not do a house set out prior to the pool being dug to ensure position is accurate?

the only other point i'd note is given the pool is now 1m closer to the house, is the engineering of the house still adequate? We have ours located 300mm from house and as a result had extra engineering requirements for the slab. I'm not an engineer so not sure where the cut off point is re this.

thank you! We used Narellan for our pool. TA did do a house set prior.... I don't know what happened here!
Us and the site supervisor both had a mild panic attack when we first discovered this however we did already have in additional piles as part of our site costs which may have been why our engineering costs did not increase. I'm not sure if this is definitely why but it would be my estimate on the situation.
lilaandco
We have decided to proceed with Vine and Vault based in Park Orchards. They are a husband and wife team and can do the full 360 for wine fit outs - temp controls, wine racking, custom joinery, fit outs and LED stripe lighting.
We will be getting them to do mammoth french steel double glazed doors (190mm Wide x 2700mm high) - we quoted this out to quite a few steel vendors but decided it is better to keep suppliers minimal and their prices were competitive. They can also do oxidised glass which will be better for the wine and a lock for when our daughter is a little older

We will be getting the INO25 temp control (it is a beast so we'll have to be creative with how we hide it), single standard bottle racking (with potentially a shelf between for display) and LED lights. Because of the 3m ceilings we can fit 1600 bottles in there - might take a while to fill up (although if you saw the hoarders state of our front room with all my husbands wine purchases you wouldn't think so!).

The wine room is our little splash out for the house but its something that we both love and will be great from an entertainers perspective!

Amazing - can I ask the size of the space that you have for the wine room that would accomodate the 1600 bottles? We're about to start with TA as well and rather than having something specific, our plan is to convert a small WIL cupboard to a mini wine storage area. We had larger and more ambitious plans and then budget got in the way....
Drooling over here at your wine room, it’s going to look next level AMAZING!!
Wellbuild
lilaandco

Amazing - can I ask the size of the space that you have for the wine room that would accomodate the 1600 bottles? We're about to start with TA as well and rather than having something specific, our plan is to convert a small WIL cupboard to a mini wine storage area. We had larger and more ambitious plans and then budget got in the way....

It is 3.5m W x 2.1m D x 3.04m H. Great idea converting the WIL cupboard. If you haven't signed the contracts yet I would suggest getting a higher grade insulation installed into the room now if you want to help a little with the temp control without investing in a machine (they're about $6.5k). Vine and Vault do a lot of smaller conversions also. DM if you have any other questions or want any other suggestions. x
lilaandco
So we went with their Hue floor plan (their bayside compliant floor plan) with a few mods. Originally, we wanted a 44 sq house but due to our block and relating council restrictions we ended at 42sq (mainly due to reducing size of upstairs because of raised ceiling heights). The main must haves for us was a flexible floor plan that can be adapted as our newish family grows and evolves, enough space to allow for backyard & pool, a wine room (this was the only way to get husband over the line to build instead of buy), high ceilings, a fairly simple and timeless aesthetic and lots of natural light.

We went with the C4 façade which is very similar to the owner’s ‘The Gallery’ façade. We'll be doing this in a Silkwort render contrasted with Black Shadowclad.

House Design/Upgrades

General
· Refrigerated Heating & Cooling.
· European Engineered Oak Flooring – Made by Story ‘Sesame’
· 3m ceilings downstairs, 2.6m upstairs. All door heights increased to match.
· Square Set downstairs, coved cornice upstairs.
· Brushed Chrome Hardware
· Shower to be included in powder room downstairs so can convert current Rumpus/Playroom to bedroom in future if need. Pool and functionally easier with a child also.
· R3.1 insulation between floors for sound proofing.
· Finger pull cabinetry throughout house.
· 2000L slim line water tank plumbed to outdoor and 3 x toilets.
· Trenching of gas line for future BBQ area next to alfresco.
· Pre wiring for future solar panel installation.

Kitchen/Dining/Living
· increased height to have 2.7m high sliding doors throughout dining and living area double glazed.
· 4.5m Extra large sliding doors next to dining room
· Appliances – Bosch 2 x Black Oven, Induction (To be installed post handover), F&P induction.
· Bar Area to be created next to fridge.
· Wine Room coming off Dining Room – fit out to be complete post handover featuring black steel French doors. Higher grade internal insulation to be done by TA for regulating air temperature.
· Feature paint to fridge, bar and wine room.
· Polytec black timber joinery to be installed in living room across length of wall.
· Quantum Quartz Superwhite Porcelain Island Bench in kitchen (to be installed post handover) – 40mm edging & 200mm legs.
· Laminex white drawers and Polytec black timber overhead cabinetry.
· Additional window along kitchen splash back to allow for more natural light. Landscaping to be done along side walls so lots of lovely greenery to look out to.

Upstairs/Bathrooms
· WIR changed to BIR for additional room in some Bed 2+3.
· Joinery in activity area.
· Convert all showers to frameless and additional tiling throughout bathrooms.
· Include ledges in bathrooms.
· Upgrade carpet to S4 – Carpet Court Country Texture in Indie colour.

Here's a few rough images of some of the colours we chose.

I stole this one from their instagram - its not our house but similar finishes and tones (stone, carpet, laminate, floorboards).

Powderroom Downstairs:

Laundry:

Kitchen, Living + Dining: Black overhead cabinetry (and bar joinery), Superwhite stone, Sesame floorboards, Ghostgum drawers, black joinery in living room.

Bathrooms:

And here are a few 3d elevations we have of the living, dining and facade (the doors to the wine room will be larger than image and installed post handover -hoping to get black french steel doors).

May I know how much the cost was to upgrade to a C4 facade?
josefaaron
lilaandco
So we went with their Hue floor plan (their bayside compliant floor plan) with a few mods. Originally, we wanted a 44 sq house but due to our block and relating council restrictions we ended at 42sq (mainly due to reducing size of upstairs because of raised ceiling heights). The main must haves for us was a flexible floor plan that can be adapted as our newish family grows and evolves, enough space to allow for backyard & pool, a wine room (this was the only way to get husband over the line to build instead of buy), high ceilings, a fairly simple and timeless aesthetic and lots of natural light.

We went with the C4 façade which is very similar to the owner’s ‘The Gallery’ façade. We'll be doing this in a Silkwort render contrasted with Black Shadowclad.

House Design/Upgrades

General
· Shower to be included in powder room downstairs so can convert current Rumpus/Playroom to bedroom in future if need. Pool and functionally easier with a child also.

Kitchen/Dining/Living
· increased height to have 2.7m high sliding doors throughout dining and living area double glazed.
· Appliances – Bosch 2 x Black Oven, Induction (To be installed post handover), F&P induction.
· Wine Room coming off Dining Room – fit out to be complete post handover featuring black steel French doors. Higher grade internal insulation to be done by TA for regulating air temperature.
· Polytec black timber joinery to be installed in living room across length of wall.
· Quantum Quartz Superwhite Porcelain Island Bench in kitchen (to be installed post handover) – 40mm edging & 200mm legs.
· Additional window along kitchen splash back to allow for more natural light. Landscaping to be done along side walls so lots of lovely greenery to look out to.

Upstairs/Bathrooms

I stole this one from their instagram - its not our house but similar finishes and tones (stone, carpet, laminate, floorboards).

Powderroom Downstairs:

Laundry:

Kitchen, Living + Dining: Black overhead cabinetry (and bar joinery), Superwhite stone, Sesame floorboards, Ghostgum drawers, black joinery in living room.

Bathrooms:

And here are a few 3d elevations we have of the living, dining and facade (the doors to the wine room will be larger than image and installed post handover -hoping to get black french steel doors).

A lot! The most expensive façade that isn't custom?
How good does it look though!
Blacktea2sugars
josefaaron
lilaandco

House Design/Upgrades

General

Kitchen/Dining/Living

Upstairs/Bathrooms

Powderroom Downstairs:

Laundry:

Bathrooms:

A lot! The most expensive façade that isn't custom?
How good does it look though!

I like C2 & C3 too and was wondering what the price difference was between facades.
I'm not sure if the prices have gone up as these were 2019 prices but it was $12.5k for C3 and $17.5k for C4 so $5k difference. Worth every penny in my opinion but I also highly rate both C3 & C4 facades!
A house on our current street has the C3 facade if you want to see it in flesh (Nevile St), it is literally around the corner from the Gallery so you can compare the two. There's also another house close by that has the C2 facade in Bentleigh East (Cavalier St). I think if you're going with TA its worth investing in their facades as it does help them feel more architectural compared to the other volume builders!
lilaandco
I'm not sure if the prices have gone up as these were 2019 prices but it was $12.5k for C3 and $17.5k for C4 so $5k difference. Worth every penny in my opinion but I also highly rate both C3 & C4 facades!
A house on our current street has the C3 facade if you want to see it in flesh (Nevile St), it is literally around the corner from the Gallery so you can compare the two. There's also another house close by that has the C2 facade in Bentleigh East (Cavalier St). I think if you're going with TA its worth investing in their facades as it does help them feel more architectural compared to the other volume builders!

Thanks for the info! That seems to be a good price as I was told for other volume builders, the facade upgrade can go up to 30k. The facades are actually what made me like TA. Once we are out of this lockdown, hoping to check them out.
Wow, slab looks so wonderful. Can't wait to see your wine room built. Lucky break with pool ending up close to alfresco and not needing to pay exorbitant pool cover money to builder.
josefaaron
lilaandco

Thanks for the info! That seems to be a good price as I was told for other volume builders, the facade upgrade can go up to 30k. The facades are actually what made me like TA. Once we are out of this lockdown, hoping to check them out.

We also went with the C4 facade earlier this year and it was a $17.5k upgrade. We really liked it, but, to be honest, of their pre-designed facades my favourite is probably the S3, which is quite a bit cheaper. However, that didn't suit our layout or our site orientation.
Wellbuild
josefaaron
lilaandco

We also went with the C4 facade earlier this year and it was a $17.5k upgrade. We really liked it, but, to be honest, of their pre-designed facades my favourite is probably the S3, which is quite a bit cheaper. However, that didn't suit our layout or our site orientation.

Is there a S and C range? In their website, I only see C.
Yes there are two different ranges - C & S. The S range is where the entry is on the side - it is floor plan dependant as to whether you choose from an C or S range. I agree with the comment above - S3 was LOVELY and would have definitely chosen this if we had a S style floorplan. When you see the sales guys they can explain the different facades to you...who knows...there might be some more new facades they can show you too!
lilaandco
Yes there are two different ranges - C & S. The S range is where the entry is on the side - it is floor plan dependant as to whether you choose from an C or S range. I agree with the comment above - S3 was LOVELY and would have definitely chosen this if we had a S style floorplan. When you see the sales guys they can explain the different facades to you...who knows...there might be some more new facades they can show you too!

Again, thanks for that information! I hope your build is going well!
Related
2/10/2023
Carter Grange vs. Thomas Archer

Building A New House

We spent close to 2 years in a process with TA. It was horrible..... we got to tender, and the first cut was 50% over our budget which "they care such about meeting ". We…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum