Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Hue 42 Bayside Build - 2020/21

Page 10 of 12
lilaandco
hi everyone! thought i would share with you some pictures of our landscaping and a few from around the house. we've had most of our post handover stuff complete now.
We used Adam from A Cox Landscaping. Couldn't recommend him more highly - after settling on the Friday him and his team were already on site the following Monday and had guys there basically solid for 2 months (aside from delays from lockdown 4.0 and also when he had to wait for us to have our fencing done before he could continue planting). He was extremely communicative, proactive, excellent at sticking to budget and reasonably priced. I think he's had a few enquiries for some other TA builds now but he said he's got the blue print now on how to bring the best out of the TA facades so keen to work with anyone else also!
we have gone for a fairly simple approach - we wanted to include steel arches down the side but it ended up being out of budget so we'll reconsider again in future. We've used ficus hedging and pear magnolias to give a lush ever green look that will be minimal maintenance. A couple of silver birch out the front otherwise but really we didn't want to over complicate things.
For anyone who needs here is a list of some other suppliers we've used post handover
A Cox Landscaping - Adam did everything from site clear, paving, concreting, driveway, planting, design etc. Was good not to have to wrangle different parties to do this and have it all streamlined.
Lever Fencing - also very professional and good attention to detail. His rate is a little higher than others but it is worth paying the extra and knowing you'll have a quality fence that will last 20 years. All our neighbours were super happy also.
Beyond Pool Fencing - well priced and proactive also. They did all our glass pool fencing
Narellan Pools - Jason from South East Franchise - They did our fiber glass pool and all equipment for it. Ours is sized 8m x 4.2m in grey quartz.
True South Electrical - they had done all our appliances, feature lights, TV wall mounts etc. We'll work with them next on garden lighting. He is a good friend of ours for disclosure but his standard of work is super high calibre.
Oz Window Blinds and Furnishing - we're still waiting on our plantations but Ozzie has so far done our sheers and blinds. Very fast service, bit of a local legend in the Bentleigh area.

Last two pieces are cutting the crossover and getting the BBQ done. We also just need to render parts of the retaining wall.

Some landscaping pictures included - wish it was a bit sunnier when I took them - can't wait to get in that pool hopefully soon!

And a few pictures in the house (i don't have many yet sorry). We have our most of our main pieces now, still waiting on our bar stools (6 months from Europe gah). Soft furnishing and art will take a lifetime between my husband and I to agree on anything. Trying to find that fine balance between items I love and knowing what my hectic todler will both destroy and potentially knock her unconscious is also proving difficult. We will get there!

also for anyone who has the polytec woodmatt black range - it looks LOVELY but be prepared for lots of finger prints. In hindsight we probably should have gotten more handles for some of the cupboards with it.

Thanks for providing a lot of useful info here!!! Do you mind sharing the costs of the landscaping (a rough indicated amount) - done by A Cox Landscaping (everything from site clear, paving, concreting, driveway, planting, design etc), but excluding the pool? Just to prevent myself from a heart-attack...
lilaandco
aang
Your home is a dream!! Absolutely beautiful and thanks for sharing yr pics! Makes me so impatient to get started on my build
which is like taking forever...its been 2 months and we're still waiting on the first set of drawings.

Can i please ask if you had to provision a lot more from the standard for electrical? I've in my mind all these feature lighting i would like to have but every time i mention a new light position, all the hubby sees is $$

We provisioned a bit - just remember anything upstairs can always be done post handover as the electricians will be able to access the manhole we just had to make sure we nailed it for downstairs.
In terms of feature lighting, we did - Dining Room Pendants, 3 x wall lights in hallway, pin drop light in powder room downstairs, feature pendant in formal lounge, track light above kitchen island, pendants for master bedroom, pin drop light for master ensuite, pendant for above stair well, track lights in WIR and Wine Room and LED lights in Wine Room. Talk to the stylist during your styling appointment as they can always give you some handy tips also as to where to get provisions - Aimee was super helpful with us at doing this.
Feature lights are a must in my opinion and will turn your home from a volume build to a thing of character so don't listen to your husband! In the scheme of budgets its not significant unless you get every feature light imported in from Europe or handblown locally! In saying that our electrician was good at reining me in as I wanted even more LED strips, pendants in all the kids bedrooms etc. Totally unnecessary in hindsight but I was a little excited! We're also going to do feature lighting in the courtyard area and in the front of the house which you will need to get provisioned also if its something you're considering.
Good luck with it all so exciting! xx

I'm really struggling to find lighting that I like (especially a pendant over our stairs) that doesn't blow the budget.

Any recommendations?
px8
lilaandco
hi everyone! thought i would share with you some pictures of our landscaping and a few from around the house. we've had most of our post handover stuff complete now.
We used Adam from A Cox Landscaping. Couldn't recommend him more highly - after settling on the Friday him and his team were already on site the following Monday and had guys there basically solid for 2 months (aside from delays from lockdown 4.0 and also when he had to wait for us to have our fencing done before he could continue planting). He was extremely communicative, proactive, excellent at sticking to budget and reasonably priced. I think he's had a few enquiries for some other TA builds now but he said he's got the blue print now on how to bring the best out of the TA facades so keen to work with anyone else also!
we have gone for a fairly simple approach - we wanted to include steel arches down the side but it ended up being out of budget so we'll reconsider again in future. We've used ficus hedging and pear magnolias to give a lush ever green look that will be minimal maintenance. A couple of silver birch out the front otherwise but really we didn't want to over complicate things.
For anyone who needs here is a list of some other suppliers we've used post handover
A Cox Landscaping - Adam did everything from site clear, paving, concreting, driveway, planting, design etc. Was good not to have to wrangle different parties to do this and have it all streamlined.
Lever Fencing - also very professional and good attention to detail. His rate is a little higher than others but it is worth paying the extra and knowing you'll have a quality fence that will last 20 years. All our neighbours were super happy also.
Beyond Pool Fencing - well priced and proactive also. They did all our glass pool fencing
Narellan Pools - Jason from South East Franchise - They did our fiber glass pool and all equipment for it. Ours is sized 8m x 4.2m in grey quartz.
True South Electrical - they had done all our appliances, feature lights, TV wall mounts etc. We'll work with them next on garden lighting. He is a good friend of ours for disclosure but his standard of work is super high calibre.
Oz Window Blinds and Furnishing - we're still waiting on our plantations but Ozzie has so far done our sheers and blinds. Very fast service, bit of a local legend in the Bentleigh area.

Last two pieces are cutting the crossover and getting the BBQ done. We also just need to render parts of the retaining wall.

Some landscaping pictures included - wish it was a bit sunnier when I took them - can't wait to get in that pool hopefully soon!

And a few pictures in the house (i don't have many yet sorry). We have our most of our main pieces now, still waiting on our bar stools (6 months from Europe gah). Soft furnishing and art will take a lifetime between my husband and I to agree on anything. Trying to find that fine balance between items I love and knowing what my hectic todler will both destroy and potentially knock her unconscious is also proving difficult. We will get there!

also for anyone who has the polytec woodmatt black range - it looks LOVELY but be prepared for lots of finger prints. In hindsight we probably should have gotten more handles for some of the cupboards with it.

Thanks for providing a lot of useful info here!!! Do you mind sharing the costs of the landscaping (a rough indicated amount) - done by A Cox Landscaping (everything from site clear, paving, concreting, driveway, planting, design etc), but excluding the pool? Just to prevent myself from a heart-attack...

Total spend was $74k for landscaping (although we got a discount on the pavers).
This includes - site clear, garden beds, plants, lawn, irrigation system, driveway and concreting down side of house, painting of fencing and letter box / fence hedging. We did the design in conjunction with Adam he didn't charge us for it.
Wellbuild
lilaandco
aang
Your home is a dream!! Absolutely beautiful and thanks for sharing yr pics! Makes me so impatient to get started on my build
which is like taking forever...its been 2 months and we're still waiting on the first set of drawings.

Can i please ask if you had to provision a lot more from the standard for electrical? I've in my mind all these feature lighting i would like to have but every time i mention a new light position, all the hubby sees is $$

We provisioned a bit - just remember anything upstairs can always be done post handover as the electricians will be able to access the manhole we just had to make sure we nailed it for downstairs.
In terms of feature lighting, we did - Dining Room Pendants, 3 x wall lights in hallway, pin drop light in powder room downstairs, feature pendant in formal lounge, track light above kitchen island, pendants for master bedroom, pin drop light for master ensuite, pendant for above stair well, track lights in WIR and Wine Room and LED lights in Wine Room. Talk to the stylist during your styling appointment as they can always give you some handy tips also as to where to get provisions - Aimee was super helpful with us at doing this.
Feature lights are a must in my opinion and will turn your home from a volume build to a thing of character so don't listen to your husband! In the scheme of budgets its not significant unless you get every feature light imported in from Europe or handblown locally! In saying that our electrician was good at reining me in as I wanted even more LED strips, pendants in all the kids bedrooms etc. Totally unnecessary in hindsight but I was a little excited! We're also going to do feature lighting in the courtyard area and in the front of the house which you will need to get provisioned also if its something you're considering.
Good luck with it all so exciting! xx

I'm really struggling to find lighting that I like (especially a pendant over our stairs) that doesn't blow the budget.

Any recommendations?

Are you looking for more fabric, glass, structured, rattan etc?
Some recommendations - Toledo from About Space, there's a few nice ones at Lucretia, Hub Furniture for the Paris Au mis D'Aout range, George Nelson Bubble Lamp replica pendants in an oversized shape. If you want Rattan Style House of Orange, Beacon Lighting or Lighting Collective.
In saying that I still haven't ordered anything! If its not a void its probably not worth spending major money on! I think we just might get another of the George Nelson bubble lamps in a 60cm size to flow with the ones in our dining room but TBC or otherwise one of the fabric Hub Furniture pendants (they're just always sold out when I want it!).
Thanks so much lilaandco - super helpful, as always!

What were the size of your pendants above your dining room table?
Just had a look at the receipt
Ball - 50cm
Pear - 45cm
Cigar (Long) - 60cm

I think the Ball in a 60cm size or even a cluster of a couple of different shapes could look lovely above the stairs.
They're available through heaps of different shops - my friend who is an electrician said basically it doesn't matter where you buy it from (unless you are buying the originals) as they all come out of the same factory.
Thanks heaps! I bought a 60cm from Lucreatia last night! They had a 20% off all stock sale that finishes today

I like that they are quite neutral and affordable too... I spent more on bedroom wall lights than I did on the pendant!
lilaandco
px8
lilaandco

Total spend was $74k for landscaping (although we got a discount on the pavers).
Minus cost of retaining walls and paving/pavers it was $38k. This includes - site clear, garden beds, plants, lawn, irrigation system, driveway and concreting down side of house, painting of fencing and letter box / fence hedging. We did the design in conjunction with Adam he didn't charge us for it. It doesn't include paving foot path to entry door as that is in the total paving cost not sure exactly what it was as a separate amount

Is $74k including or excluding pavers and retaining walls? If including then it's pretty cheap. My landscaping has crossed 6 figures and counting. I did reach out to Adam Cox but he couldn't accommodate me. Few quotes I had got they were in $120k price range.

Well done with your landscaping.
Love seeing all the post handover pics. BigDaddy who did you go with for your landscaping and fence? Have you been happy with them so far?
lilaandco
px8
lilaandco

Minus cost of retaining walls and paving/pavers it was $38k. This includes - site clear, garden beds, plants, lawn, irrigation system, driveway and concreting down side of house, painting of fencing and letter box / fence hedging. We did the design in conjunction with Adam he didn't charge us for it. It doesn't include paving foot path to entry door as that is in the total paving cost not sure exactly what it was as a separate amount

Thank you lilaandco for sharing your learnings and being so happy to answer all our questions! Its been really helpful for me
We're also using Adam Cox Landscaping. We won't hit six figures but might get close depending on irrigation and lighting. It will include pavers but not retaining walls. We don't have a pool - I don't know if that makes landscaping more or less expensive.

On a related note, we've just started plastering. Things seem to be moving well. I've got a good relationship with the site supervisor. We had to go through another variation to get some additional outside taps put in (future proofing an outside sink). Frustrating that I didn't think of this earlier - the additional work was only just more than the variation fee itself. There are plenty of things that pop up that I wish I had considered pre contract, but you can't think of everything.
Hi Everyone

I’ve had quite a few people ask me about some post handover expenses so here is a rough guide based on my own experience to help those:

Landscaping: It’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but I think depending on your requirements expect to pay between $60-$120k. We were told to budget about $70k by TA BUT this was also 2 years ago! Things you need to include – site clear, driveway, paving to entry, planting and garden beds for front, concreting for side paths, any pavers or decking required for outdoors, retaining walls, outdoor lighting, front fencing, letter box, irrigation etc.

Pool & Pool Fencing: $50k for a fibre glass and $70-100k for a concrete. Plus coping for pool (and paving) and then fencing around pool. Our quotes were $150 pm for black aluminium, $400 pm for glass and $700-$1200 pm for customized steel. So in totally expect to pay anywhere between $6k-$13k or $20-30k for a custom steel fence.

Crossover: If you need to get a new crossover and also repair the footpath in order to get your bond back from council. This will be $3-5k.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: $7-15k. We were at the $13k mark for 4 sets of sheers (2 across dining, 1 across living and 1 in master), black out blinds for bedrooms, 3 x plantations and transparent blinds for remainder of house. Prices will go up from this if you want more sheers, plantations and electric blinds. Obviously prices go down if you just do all blinds for the house however it certainly removes some of the ‘magic’ of the home not having plantations and sheers.

Electrical: $5-$15k depending on how much you do post or during build. There was a lot of electrical work we did post handover. Things to consider –pendants across house (front room, front entry, staircase void, master bedroom, powder room and ensuite, dining table, over kitchen island), installation of appliances, dimmers to bedrooms, fans, mounting any TVs, LED strip lights, earthing of pool, additional downlights for upstairs, fans, purchase and install of ring security cameras etc. We’ve spent so far $12k and will spend more on garden lighting in future.

Furniture: Make sure that you put away at least $10-15k to get your minimum furniture set up for the house. There is no point building a beautiful home and then putting in old ill fitting furniture. You don’t need to buy everything from the start and can gradually build however at least have your key pieces – new couches, dining table & chairs, rug, coffee table.

Plumbing: If you have a water tank you will need to pay to plumb it to irrigation system. About $1k.

Fencing: About $100-$120 per meter you need done, shared 50/50 with your neighbours for timber fencing. For us we had to redo about 75% of our fencing as the previous owner had never agreed with neighbours to do this.

Appliances: If you are getting appliances installed post handover budget $8-10k for quality ovens, induction, dishwasher and fridge. Appliances Online are always great for a deal if you can buy in advance.

Garage: Worth considering getting epoxy flooring before you move in. About $2k.

Solar Panels: We will wait until the 3 month mark to get these installed once we get a better understanding on our electrical consumption. Actually not sure what the cost is here? Gah! Also make sure you get the pre wiring done as part of your electrical plan!

Some other costs aside from the build cost to consider:
Legal Fees for R&C, Phase 3 Pit install (About $5k), Demo ($15-20k).

We have also had a few drainage issues that we needed to get fixed so worth having a kitty of a few thousand for any issues that may arise!

I hope this helps!
Wellbuild
We're also using Adam Cox Landscaping. We won't hit six figures but might get close depending on irrigation and lighting. It will include pavers but not retaining walls. We don't have a pool - I don't know if that makes landscaping more or less expensive.

On a related note, we've just started plastering. Things seem to be moving well. I've got a good relationship with the site supervisor. We had to go through another variation to get some additional outside taps put in (future proofing an outside sink). Frustrating that I didn't think of this earlier - the additional work was only just more than the variation fee itself. There are plenty of things that pop up that I wish I had considered pre contract, but you can't think of everything.

Hi Wellbuild

For the variation fee, does TA charge you per item? or, TA charge you per variation ? (which you can raise multiple items on 1 variation)

Thanks
scott2323
Wellbuild

Hi Wellbuild

For the variation fee, does TA charge you per item? or, TA charge you per variation ? (which you can raise multiple items on 1 variation)

Thanks

it's per variation, you can have more than 1 item per variation.
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

I’ve had quite a few people ask me about some post handover expenses so here is a rough guide based on my own experience to help those:

Landscaping: It’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but I think depending on your requirements expect to pay between $60-$120k. We were told to budget about $70k by TA BUT this was also 2 years ago! Things you need to include – site clear, driveway, paving to entry, planting and garden beds for front, concreting for side paths, any pavers or decking required for outdoors, retaining walls, outdoor lighting, front fencing, letter box, irrigation etc.

Pool & Pool Fencing: $50k for a fibre glass and $70-100k for a concrete. Plus coping for pool (and paving) and then fencing around pool. Our quotes were $150 pm for black aluminium, $400 pm for glass and $700-$1200 pm for customized steel. So in totally expect to pay anywhere between $6k-$13k or $20-30k for a custom steel fence.

Crossover: If you need to get a new crossover and also repair the footpath in order to get your bond back from council. This will be $3-5k.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: $7-15k. We were at the $13k mark for 4 sets of sheers (2 across dining, 1 across living and 1 in master), black out blinds for bedrooms, 3 x plantations and transparent blinds for remainder of house. Prices will go up from this if you want more sheers, plantations and electric blinds. Obviously prices go down if you just do all blinds for the house however it certainly removes some of the ‘magic’ of the home not having plantations and sheers.

Electrical: $5-$15k depending on how much you do post or during build. There was a lot of electrical work we did post handover. Things to consider –pendants across house (front room, front entry, staircase void, master bedroom, powder room and ensuite, dining table, over kitchen island), installation of appliances, fans, mounting any TVs, LED strip lights, earthing of pool, additional downlights for upstairs, fans, purchase and install of ring security cameras etc. We’ve spent so far $12k and will spend more on garden lighting in future.

Furniture: Make sure that you put away at least $10-15k to get your minimum furniture set up for the house. There is no point building a beautiful home and then putting in old ill fitting furniture. You don’t need to buy everything from the start and can gradually build however at least have your key pieces – new couches, dining table & chairs, rug, coffee table.

Plumbing: If you have a water tank you will need to pay to plumb it to irrigation system. About $1k.

Fencing: About $100-$120 per meter you need done, shared 50/50 with your neighbours for timber fencing. For us we had to redo about 75% of our fencing as the previous owner had never agreed with neighbours to do this.

Appliances: If you are getting appliances installed post handover budget $8-10k for quality ovens, induction, dishwasher and fridge. Appliances Online are always great for a deal if you can buy in advance.

Solar Panels: We will wait until the 3 month mark to get these installed once we get a better understanding on our electrical consumption. Actually not sure what the cost is here? Gah! Also make sure you get the pre wiring done as part of your electrical plan!

We have also had a few drainage issues that we needed to get fixed so worth having a kitty of a few thousand for any issues that may arise!

I hope this helps!

This is super helpful.

Re solar, for a 6.6kw system with good quality panels and inverters, you're probably looking at the $10k mark (before any potential government rebates). I've received four different quotes and they've all been around this mark.
Wellbuild
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

Electrical: $5-$15k depending on how much you do post or during build. There was a lot of electrical work we did post handover. Things to consider –pendants across house (front room, front entry, staircase void, master bedroom, powder room and ensuite, dining table, over kitchen island), installation of appliances, fans, mounting any TVs, LED strip lights, earthing of pool, additional downlights for upstairs, fans, purchase and install of ring security cameras etc. We’ve spent so far $12k and will spend more on garden lighting in future.

I hope this helps!

This is super helpful.

Re solar, for a 6.6kw system with good quality panels and inverters, you're probably looking at the $10k mark (before any potential government rebates). I've received four different quotes and they've all been around this mark.

For Solar, I have installed a 8.65kw with Winaico top of the range panels and Solaredge 3 phase inverters (optimisers). Costed me 12k out of pocket. The company I went with is United Solar Energy if anyone's interested.

As for landscaping, my landscapers are "The Landscape Department".

I am doing my own DIY landscaping lights.
sifntdaz
scott2323
Wellbuild

Hi Wellbuild

Thanks

it's per variation, you can have more than 1 item per variation.

Thanks for the information
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

I hope this helps!

Thanks Lilaandco for the detail information

Had a look at my bank account balance.......... I think I might have to do the landscaping by myself
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. We are hopefully 2 weeks from settlement, however latest lockdown is somewhat stalling a few things. As we are quite advanced, I can add to your list. Will keep it brief, but if anyone wants further detail feel free to DM.

Landscaping: Went with modern living. 120-130k is where I think i'll land. Landscaping is probably about 60% done so well progressed.

Pool & Pool Fencing: 80k for the concrete pool. Fencing / coping etc, included in landscaping. Went with intheswim.

Crossover: 3-5k seems about right with the quotes i'vé got so far. Still waiting for council permit.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: 15k for 4 bdrs sheers and blockout curtains, 1 roller blind, 4 plantation shutters and sheers in living / dining and lounge. Fabric was the james dunlop and mokum for the sheers.

Electrical: Mostly done through build. About 10k for light fittings (in/out) not including garden which is part of the landscape cost. A whole heap of Nordlux products and similar things to what lightslightslights has to offer.

Appliances: Did a deal with e&s. The lady I have been dealing with has been helpful, so if you need a contact at the chadstone store let me know.

Solar Panels: Maxed roofspace, 34 panels of LG on enphase. $19k. We are an all electric house.

Lots of other random costs which I have maintained on a spreadsheet that keeps growing.
sifntdaz
lilaandco
Hi Everyone

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. We are hopefully 2 weeks from settlement, however latest lockdown is somewhat stalling a few things. As we are quite advanced, I can add to your list. Will keep it brief, but if anyone wants further detail feel free to DM.

Landscaping: Went with modern living. 120-130k is where I think i'll land. Landscaping is probably about 60% done so well progressed.

Pool & Pool Fencing: 80k for the concrete pool. Fencing / coping etc, included in landscaping. Went with intheswim.

Crossover: 3-5k seems about right with the quotes i'vé got so far. Still waiting for council permit.

Blinds, Plantations, Sheers: 15k for 4 bdrs sheers and blockout curtains, 1 roller blind, 4 plantation shutters and sheers in living / dining and lounge. Fabric was the james dunlop and mokum for the sheers.

Electrical: Mostly done through build. About 10k for light fittings (in/out) not including garden which is part of the landscape cost. A whole heap of Nordlux products and similar things to what lightslightslights has to offer.

Appliances: Did a deal with e&s. The lady I have been dealing with has been helpful, so if you need a contact at the chadstone store let me know.

Solar Panels: Maxed roofspace, 34 panels of LG on enphase. $19k. We are an all electric house.

Lots of other random costs which I have maintained on a spreadsheet that keeps growing.

Thanks for sharing the details. While you are all electric, could you please share what hot water system you have?
Related
2/10/2023
Carter Grange vs. Thomas Archer

Building A New House

We spent close to 2 years in a process with TA. It was horrible..... we got to tender, and the first cut was 50% over our budget which "they care such about meeting ". We…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum