Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Third time's a charm ( our 3rd build @ Bingara Gorge )

Page 6 of 11
Jimi
Has anyone build a home from the Anchorage range? We are keen on the floor plan but not sure the one displayed will fit our budget. Interested to hear if any one has built anchorage 1 and the cost to finish or anyone who has built anchorage 2 or 4 and how big they feel?

If i had the right sized block the Anchorage 1 would be the home I built… we had the Anchorage 2 drawn up on our lot but with the alfresco it took up too much of the block.

I don’t believe there is a display home for the smaller Anchorage

The Anchorage 2 would be around $525k - $550k ball park finished decently
Its been a while since i was able to see the house in person, got the chance to go out last weekend for a stickybeak

Garage doors are on so ive been properly locked out lol

Had to take these pics from outside through the window so apologies for the low quality . SS has gone around with his blue tape, the house has blue chicken pox

Quickstep flooring in “Classic Oak Brown”

Woohoo we must be close !

CD12JD
JWJ
CD12JD

Our 1400 x 780 Velux fixed skylights were fitted this week, these 2 skylights sit directly above our kitchen island

Hey champ, I am considering doing the same with Velux skylights facing East over a kitchen island bench. This was due to putting an Alfresco on the rear which faces south and was worried it wold be too dark in the adjacent kitchen/family room. The only thing that has made me pause is heat. I've read on other posts that people regret them as they let too much heat in. That said who knows where they stuck them, maybe West or North. Did you consider heat mate and what got you over the line?

Hey mate, I thought about heat but I watched the way the sun moves over our house and its really only the morning sun but until 10.30 - 11 that they’re getting directly hit.

There is a blind system that velux offer for these sky lights that can be fitted after if heat is an issue. If it were north or west i probably would be concerned about heat.

Back of the house is South with the alfresco, kitchen wall is on the eastern wall which joins the alfresco to the south, due to the layout of the home we wanted to capture some extra daylight especially in the morning.

I guess not only is floor plan orientation important here but also your roof line and pitch of the roof, this will affect when and where the direct sun hits the skylight.

If i were to do it again id probably use 3 of the same length but not as wide instead of the 2 wider ones

Thanks for responding mate, this is very helpful as we are identical to yours including block orientation.

Have you by any chance been in there between between 1-4pm and seen how much extra light it brings in? I think I read that skylights bring in 3x the light windows do, so I am assuming that they are still going to provide some benefit once the sun passes.
Those pics were taken late in the afternoon probably around 4.30 - 5ish

We have PCI this Friday so we should be in soon, i will be able to give you a more accurate idea of what to expect

Tomorrow we have PCI !
Nice!
Nice!
PCI done and dusted ! Everything went smoothly and the house presents really well, build quality exceeded my expectations being a volume builder and all our selections were correct. We have our private inspector going through the home on Monday and the final invoice has been paid, fingers crossed we get the keys next week…

Some shots of our wet area
Looks amazing! Congratulations.

Handover took place yesterday and we are over the moon with how everything came together, the quality and finish on this build is beyond what we were expecting and the report also reflects this…

Will need to organise the rest of the things that will make this a home and first stop will be concrete and fences

I’ve taken a few photos of our home for your viewing pleasure

Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum