Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ideas for leveling backyard

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We've just started building our new home, and given the slab is due to go in next week, I've started doing my research and planning on how we can layout the backyard and the alfresco. Having a closer look at the site plans and how the block is shaping up IRL, I've got two main concerns/questions that I'm looking to get resolved.

Firstly, it when looking at the alfresco and how it connects to the backyard, it appears as though there is first a 160mm drop from the slab to the backyard, followed by a 310mm jump to the rest of the backyard. I'm wondering what the best thing to do here is to remove this annoying 'gap'. I'm thinking doing a gradual leveling of the backyard starting at where the 310mm jump occurs may help give the illusion of a 'leveled' backyard, but not sure if there's anything easier we could do here to solve this problem. I'm certainly open to suggestions here, but I'm keen to not extend our alfresco into our already smallish backyard (7.5m x 14m).

Secondly, at the back of our yard is a 'ramp' that rises to meet the base of the fence behind our property. We were thinking about cutting into some of this, putting in a retaining wall, then having a raised garden bed. However, we're wondering if it's possible (legally and technically) to instead 'carve' all of this out so that the ramp is removed and the backyard is level, and install a retaining wall at the back of the backyard (potentially under the fence line). Again, the goal here is to avoid making the backyard any smaller than it already is.

Obviously our house won't be completed for a few months yet, but I'm hoping in that time we can get a good idea of how we're going to tackle these problems, and what the best way about solving them is.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Related
13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

21/06/2023
Dry Well in the backyard

Landscape & Garden Design

It's possible but a soak well is usually much larger. Your 'soak well' only holds 424 litres when full. What is your soil type? Soak wells need sandy soils.

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum