Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Meter box in wrong location

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

So we recently noticed that our builder has placed the meter box in the wrong location (not as per our build plans) the meter box was supposed to be installed almost at the front of the wall however they’ve installed it over a metre away from where it’s meant to be placed. We have a nice 3m passage way all along this side and wanted to maximise the space hence why we put the meter box at the front of the house. I questioned our SS about it and he said he would find out why it wasn’t installed as per the plans. Anyway, I had to chase him up, he didn’t find out why however mentioned that basically they won’t move it.

Now, I understand it’s not the most easiest thing to move, but it’s three things:

1. Not what we wanted.
2. Not as per spec (makes us wonder what else they’ll do).
3. Principle.. what’s the point of spending so much time making a plan (our house plan is a custom build) to only have it changed without consultation?

Our SS is a bit hit and miss.. he’s a nice guy, however, I really feel like he doesn’t have our best interest in mind, I know this isn’t a requirement of his, however I’ve read some posts on here where others have had a really good experience with their SS actually caring about their client’s build and needs.

The walls are on, render is done (not painted) and internal plaster is on (not painted) and I think the cabinetry is done now, would you keep pushing your SS to move it? I don’t want to be a PITA but I feel like it’s our home, we’re spending a lot of money and spent a lot of time to design it how we want why should we not get that?

Any advice or opinion (whether agreeing or disagreeing) are welcomed!

Thank you
Hi Nathan, unfortunately can’t help with the question but do you have any ideas what you are going to do with the 3m passage? Likewise we have a space a similar width and are not yet sure what to do with the area.

Thanks,
Hi mate,

We anticipate to use it for any future toys, we may even add a concrete part and a roof to keep them off the road and as safe as possible, other than that, it’s nice to have the extra width to get things through if you need to, will be very helpful for the furniture that’s for sure!
Builder is at fault. When contract was signed builder warranted to construct in accordance with plans and specifications. There is no excuse.
Hi building-expert,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think it's too much effort to move now and that we should let it go, or should we continue to stand our ground? I have organised an onsite meeting with our supervisor on Friday to check progress and I want to bring this up again as my last email went ignored.
Firstly the switchboard location must comply with the electricity regulations of the state. Usually on the front wall of the building or within 2m down the sides. Secondly what has been signed on the plans and in the contract is binding. When the shoe is on the other foot the builder will not budge without substantial costs they are quick to throw at you. So I would be standing my ground. If it shown on the plan then that is where it goes.
NathanPS
Hi building-expert,

Do you think it's too much effort to move now and that we should let it go, or should we continue to stand our ground? I have organised an onsite meeting with our supervisor on Friday to check progress and I want to bring this up again as my last email went ignored.

Just explain that the present location of the meter box interferes with your enjoyment of the area and stand your ground.
Sure it is inconvenient and a bother to have it moved but that’s not your problem.
Brett0004
Firstly the switchboard location must comply with the electricity regulations of the state. Usually on the front wall of the building or within 1m down the sides. Secondly what has been signed on the plans and in the contract is binding. When the shoe is on the other foot the builder will not budge without substantial costs they are quick to throw at you. So I would be standing my ground. If it shown on the plan then that is where it goes.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the help. Do you have the regulations for QLD where this is stated? I've tried doing a search but cannot seem to find the laws around the location of the meter box. Yes, you are definitely right about the shoe being on the other foot!

building-expert
NathanPS
Hi building-expert,

Just explain that the present location of the meter box interferes with your enjoyment of the area and stand your ground.
Sure it is inconvenient and a bother to have it moved but that’s not your problem.

I explained that. His response was:

"Even if we moved the meter box towards the front you still won't be able to move the fence closer to the front of the property because your gas meter has to be outside the fence as well."

My response was:

"I’m sure the gas meter would have been installed under the meter box (as it is now) in the correct location which would have eliminated this issue of us now losing over 1m of backyard... Is this the case of our house being built against what we want & not as per plans/spec?"

^ in which he did not bother replying to (but has sent me an update and responded to an unrelated matter after I sent that email).

There is no reason for the gas meter to have been installed where it is now apart from the fact that that's where the meter box is, and I'm sure it could have been installed under the meter box in the correct location. The gas meter on the plan states:

"Location and gas supply T.B.C. by builder and on site" however this is also written on the same side as the meter box location and is right underneath the meterbox as per below.

Would I also be wrong in requesting that the gas meter be moved along with the meter box? Would they have put it under the meter box if it was in the correct location? I've checked the neighbours location and it is underneath the meter box at the front of the property wall (where we wanted ours, lol.)

Thanks for your replies everyone!
Queensland Electricity Connection Manual, page 68, previously I said 1m down the sides it is 2m down the sides, I corrected my post.

https://swp.energex.com.au/upload/technical_documents/20180913_104747_2790338.pdf
No problem, thank you Brett
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House